Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Caculating Edge Distance

9 posts in this topic

Posted

So I would like to either ream out my lift strut bolt from 5/16 to 3/8 or if I don't have enough edge distance I may just go to a NAS bolt. So in reading a bunch I found that the standard is 1.5D to 2D+.030 of the bolt measured from the center. Now I'm not quite sure what that all means so I am looking for some help. Or if someone has the wings off a kitfox 1050 just go measure your edge distance on the lower lift strut.

Posted (edited)

TJay,  You are only increasing the hole diameter by 1/16" (.062"), so you are making it only 1/32" (.031") on a side larger - IMO, not enough to worry about - I can measure my KF3 and give you dimensions from edge of 3/8" diameter hole to outside of strut fitting later today.  EDMO

.450" rough-measurement with a dial caliper from edge of .375" hole toward rear of plane to edge of fitting, and same for edge of hole toward wingtip.  ED

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I measured my Kitfox 4  1200 GW and took a pic or two of what I saw.  Then I looked at my Avid MK IV with a 1150 - 1200 GW, and it uses a 5/16" bolt.  If it was me, I don't think I would monkey with it.  Avid tested their STOL wing to over 5 Gs with no problems. That was a 911 lb GW, but if you do the math, that would still be over 4 Gs on a 1150 GW.  Also, their wing wasn't damaged in the test.  How far could it have gone before it broke??? Jim Chuk

Photo06811.jpg

Photo06821.jpg

Photo06771.jpg

Posted (edited)

We went thru this some time ago - Someone calculated the area and shear strengths of the 5/16 bolt to be less than the two 1/4" bolts combined that attach the strut to the wing - The 3/8 bolt is slightly more than the two 1/4" bolts combined.  I don't think that it is necessary, but mine have the 3/8 bolts, and if it makes you feel better, then do it.  

You can read my measurements on my post above Jim's.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

5/16" bolt cross section is .077 sq in.  a 3/8" is .110 sq in.   Two 1/4" bolts together have .098 sq in.   I have heard that there is more force on the front spar than the rear.  Not sure how much if any difference there really is.  Jim Chuk

Posted

TJay- this is my KF 4-1050 prior to the normal reaming done during fuselage prep.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

An AN-6 bolt in double shear should be good for about 16000 pounds. An AN-5 is about 11000. (per attached)

My calculations for my 1300 pound Merlin GT (single strut) comes up to 5100 pound of tensile load in the strut at 3.8 G - but those are my numbers, ymmv, use at your own risk, no warranty expressed or implied, do not attempt at home, etc.

Just off the top of my head, I would guess that the loads on the two struts on something like an Avid would be on the order of 75% front, 25% rear (+- 100% or so).

AN3THRUAN20-REV12.006281.pdf

Posted

Well it looks like everyone else has about 3/8 to 7/16 of an inch Material on the outside, that's kind a of a bummer for me because I only have 5/16 of an inch of material  left, now I have to decide how big my balls are or do more welding, and I hate welding right next to finished fabric. thanks for the reply's guys.

Posted (edited)

TJay,  The other thing to consider is if your fork on the struts will pivot around the fuselage fitting - If you have too much material from hole to rear the fork could bind up.  You probably have about 3/4" of material on the front of the fuselage fitting where the angle is - There will be no wear to speak of from swinging the wings.  I wouldn't be afraid of the 5/16" to the rear with a 3/8" bolt, or even using a 5/16" bolt.   Even my Kitfox 1 with the 5/16" bolt did not break the fuselage fittings when the plane landed in a tree and one wing was totally demolished and the other badly bent.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO