For the nose draggers

9 posts in this topic

Posted

To keep in the spirit 

image.jpeg

7 people like this

Posted

I laugh, even though I typically fly a nose dragger. But I do have over 700 hours of tailwheel, does that count as being a real pilot? :D

1 person likes this

Posted

NW%2BPilot.jpeg

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

I shouldn't even waste my time on this post since it is in the JOKES section, but for the sake of the new, low-time, or beginner pilot, I will put my 2cents worth in, since I just turned 75 years old:  

I traded in my Stearman leather helmet, goggles, leather jacket and scarf in for a closed cockpit taildragger many years ago.  Then I discovered what the engineers knew many years before I was born - That there is no need to fight with groundlooping taildraggers when you can fly a nose-dragger and enjoy flying just as much!  Each type has its benefits and difficulties. 

"A REAL PILOT" is one who can fly his aircraft in whatever situation he needs to fly in!  Just ask any nose-dragger who lands on a rolling postage-stamp in the middle of the ocean after a mission, or the taildragger Bush Pilot who can land on a sandbar barely big enough to park on!  I can proudly wear my leather, handle a taildragger, or wear a pink shirt as a nose-dragger pilot, and don't have to apologize to anyone for my choices. 

I have listened to the same BS from my flying partner of the last 50 or more years - He may enjoy flying a plane with a tailwheel and no starter, no lights or instruments - but I like the more modern  planes, like the Cessna 150, Cessna 182, and Cherokee 140, we have partnered in over the years.   I also flew the Ercoupe 415 C/D, but will not include it in my "favorites" list. 

So, you young guys and gals, ignore the BS and jokes of the biased people, and go fly whatever you like, and be a REAL PILOT!

End of Sermon!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

If we can't laugh about pink shirt pilot wannabes with planes looking at their feet rather than the sky, what should we laugh about? Our selves?   

I think those jokes are very funny, but maybe that is because I am a real oil stained, wind in my face, lonesome cowboy tail dragger pilot with a proud 0 (zero!) hours on pink shirt nose-draggers since I got my licence.

grow up.jpg

5 people like this

Posted

Wise Mothers also say, "You wont know if you like it until you try it"!    EDMO

Posted

Well, my mother knows nothing about airplanes and what is good for a real pilot. (but there are ladies with hair on their chest who do know  http://www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com/)

While it is something I try to forget, I did all my flight training in that other, unmentionable, kind of planes and I'll rather be chained to a cliff and have my liver eaten by crows than do that (or eat broccoli) again...

Did I mention I never shave before flying?  

Posted

Is there a way I can just delete the biased JOKE section, or just quit reading it?  I'm done!  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Is there a way I can just delete the biased JOKE section, or just quit reading it?  I'm done!  EDMO

No you can't delete it.. its a joke mr.  I know you have thicker skin than this.  I get a kick out of the jokes, but I too have many hours in 152, 172, 210 etc.  I enjoy flying any airplane, it really does not matter where the little wheel is.  There will always be some good natured ribbing between pilots who fly tailwheels and those who choose to fly training wheels :lol:  At the end of the day, it does not matter what you fly,m it only matters that you get out there and do what you enjoy doing!

Not everyone is comfortable landing gravel and sand bars, even if they fly a tailwheel plane.  I see many 180s with 600 tires.  Its makes me giggle when I see them because I know that the pilot is missing out on what the bird is truly capable of doing and an entirely different world of flying that is so much more fun than pounding pavement... but if that is how he chooses to fly then so be it.

:BC:

3 people like this