Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Video

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I put up my first YouTube video today...

Posted

I put up my first YouTube video today...

Daumn thats alot of blacktop in front of you! looked like a solid landing to me! I am waiting on the new HD helmet cam to be released so I can get some more flying vids done. Should be flying on skis next time home, and I love playing in the powder with the plane!

Posted

My Videos

I put up a couple more videos from this weekend. Be honest, without sound are these just boring?

Posted

My Videos

I put up a couple more videos from this weekend. Be honest, without sound are these just boring?

Do you not have sound on the camera, or are you editing it out? I would not say they are boring, but hearing that engine scream does add a bit of entertainment to it :lol:

I would have a strip in front of that house in a newyork second! How long is that run? Looks to be close to 900 or 1000' twice what ya really need as soon as you start nailing the approach speeds and dragging it in on power.

:beerchug:

Posted (edited)

There is no sound on the camera itself. Pity.

There's a guy out there called Taildrgfun, he mounted the camera on his gear leg, then strung a small mic into his headset, so that there is some engine sound, yet still allows for some narration through the intercom. I'd like to copy this setup. (Someday...)

The "Strip" that isn't there (yet) is 1050' from the corner of the field to the driveway. I think it is do-able. I do need some more stick-time before I'd try it. However, I need to get the dead soybeans off it and a strip made and planted, first...

Leni-- What you mention about the techniques of short landing are something that I really want to learn. I'm trying to find a source of information to teach me about these aspects of the art of bush-flying. Any suggestions?

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

There is no sound on the camera itself. Pity.

There's a guy out there called Taildrgfun, he mounted the camera on his gear leg, then strung a small mic into his headset, so that there is some engine sound, yet still allows for some narration through the intercom. I'd like to copy this setup. (Someday...)

The "Strip" that isn't there (yet) is 1050' from the corner of the field to the driveway. I think it is do-able. I do need some more stick-time before I'd try it. However, I need to get the dead soybeans off it and a strip made and planted, first...

Leni-- What you mention about the techniques of short landing are something that I really want to learn. I'm trying to find a source of information to teach me about these aspects of the art of bush-flying. Any suggestions?

1050, hell yeah! give you lots of room!

on the set up.... I used to use a suction cup mic that I got at radio shack for recording phone conversations. I would put that on the earmuff on the head set and plug it into the recorder. No engine noise, but I could talk and you would hear that clear as can be. All radio conversations were recorded as well.

I have a pre-order in for the HD hero cam. Very small package, and is affordable as well as water proof. It was developed for motor sports so they worked hard to cut out all the wind noise etc. You can do an ebay search for HD helmet cam and they will show up.

As far as learning the bush stuff... The best thing you can do it get in your plane and go to altitude, then get VERY comfortable flying it around at minimum controllable speed with the nose high and lots of power. Once you are comfortable at altitude, and you know how your bird will handle at low speeds in steep turns etc, you can start working on the landings. Pick a spot on the runway that gives you room to set up a good approach and start working on hitting that spot. You are not going to be able to pull the power at altitude and land on the numbers everytime. You will have to use power to keep the elevation and sink rate under control, and elevator to regulate speed. If you keep at it, and make every landing a purposeful event, you will get it in no time. You need to be able to make decisions in an instant. When going into a one way strip, you have one shot at getting it right. If you can see that you approach is not right (even if you still have 3000' of runway in front of you) and that you will not be able to hit at your predetermined spot, power up and go around. You cant push a bad approach into a spot landing! Going full power and going around has to be the first thing that your hands will automatically do when you brain sees that you wont be able to hit the intended spot! Dont do anything you are not comfortable with! Work into it slowly at a pace that is OK with you.

I was very fortunate that my first instructor is an old grizzled AK bush pilot from way back. He has known me and flew our family around for a lot of years prior to me starting to fly. His approach was "the FAA says I have to teach you XY and Z... BULLSHIT, that may work for pavement pounders, but I know what you like to do and how you will be flying" From day one, he was pushing me to pick the lift off spot on the runway that was my decision length.. if I was not off by then, get on the binders, and shut her down before you hit the "pretend" trees on a 7000' long runway (ATC loved us) Same with landing. Those tires better leave marks on or before the numbers or he would firewall it (was allways fun when I was concentrating on getting this biatch on the ground in one spot and all of a sudden the dick weed in the back seat shoves the throttle to the wall) :lol:

Take off I like to give it full down. Get the tail wheel off the ground and out of the weeds as fast as possible as it will slow you down with drag. As the tail starts coming up, I ease in the up elevator to keep the wheel off the ground, but low enough to get maximum angle of attack. As soon as the wings are making enough lift she will fly.

Damn my fingers are sore now :lol:

:beerchug:

Posted

Thanks for the info, Leni. You (or any of our other members) wouldn't happen to know of any good books on the subject of bush flying, would you?

Posted

Thanks for the info, Leni. You (or any of our other members) wouldn't happen to know of any good books on the subject of bush flying, would you?

Check out the Mountain Flying Bible by Sparky Imeson... Some great reading

http://www.mountainflying.com/

Posted (edited)

I put up another new http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2dvtyvkAs. Added some sound this time. Tell me what you think...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

I put up another new http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2dvtyvkAs. Added some sound this time. Tell me what you think...

Pretty cool,I was always going to mount a camcorder on the roll bar of my race car but never did.That way you could get the full effect of video and audio.The music definately helps a bunch also.Is yours a helmet cam?Or is it mounted up above you? Randy

Posted

Thanks. It's a helmet cam, but it is mounted on the front carry-through tube, at the top of the windshield inside the cockpit.

I think this is very similar to my camera. Mine is model ATC18-08.

Posted

Thanks. It's a helmet cam, but it is mounted on the front carry-through tube, at the top of the windshield inside the cockpit.

I think this is very similar to my camera. Mine is model ATC18-08.

I picked up a new HD helemet cam last week prior to leaving on my trip.. I am not sure if I have a setting hosed up or if the mount is not sturdy enough, but the vid came out kind of wavy. Pissed me off, but I will see if I can salvage any of the footage. If not, I will be looking at you helmet cam and trying that one out.

:BC:

Posted

Those look pretty cool.. I want to get some video of flying around in my Avid so I can share how much fun I'm having.

Posted

I got some more video this weekend. Some cool formation stuff with a friend and his son in their Champ and Minimax. I figured out how to get sound, too! I tried the higher res video to get rid of the weird prop effect, but it didn't help.

NOW-- my laptop is on it's last legs. I'm trying to back up everything before it dies... More videos will probably have to wait until what I have is safe on a CD.

Posted

I got another

up today. Will somebody watch them & subscribe? :tumbleweed:

I'm getting a little better with editing, now they have sound and music...

Posted

I got another

up today. Will somebody watch them & subscribe? :tumbleweed:

I'm getting a little better with editing, now they have sound and music...

Pretty cool,looks like Jim taught you well.Cant wait until mines finished,when I watch all you guys in your videos I get jealous. Randy

Posted (edited)

Check out the Mountain Flying Bible by Sparky Imeson... Some great reading

http://www.mountainflying.com/

I might read what he says but i sure as heck aint gonna fly like him . He is dead guess he didnt practice what he preached.

Edited by akflyer
spelling so he didnt look like a retarded hillbilly

Posted

I might read what he says but i shure as heck aint gonna fly like him . He is dead guess he didnt practice what he preached.

and only by the grace of god have you made it thus far in your flying career... ole murphy is a bitch... he knocked me out of the air once with something I had no control over... just cause you crash and burn does not mean it was your fault. Mechanicals happen, and the wrong failure at the wrong time leads to you only being able to go along for the ride and enjoy the view through the windscreen right up to the moment of impact... ask me, I know!

:BC: