Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Coolant Temp a bit high (75 day) - Mod 90 Gray Head

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After a 3+1/2 month hiatus, finally got back in the air today.  Had a great flight.  However, this was the first time I have flown above say 45F. It was 75F and I noticed my cruise coolant temp was a bit higher than anticipated (170F).  Coolant level is full and thermostat is operating fine (opening at 140F).

This is a Kitfox III with belly mounted radiator.  I was hoping to see maybe 150-160F or is the 170F typical?  Concern over what might happen on a much hotter day.

Running the recommended 50/50 mix.  Less than 50 hours on all components.

Anyone run across this before?

Larry S.

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

170 is fine. Seen em run up to 195 with no issues. 

2 people like this

Posted

After a 3+1/2 month hiatus, finally got back in the air today.  Had a great flight.  However, this was the first time I have flown above say 45F. It was 75F and I noticed my cruise coolant temp was a bit higher than anticipated (170F).  Coolant level is full and thermostat is operating fine (opening at 140F).

This is a Kitfox III with belly mounted radiator.  I was hoping to see maybe 150-160F or is the 170F typical?  Concern over what might happen on a much hotter day.

Running the recommended 50/50 mix.  Less than 50 hours on all components.

Anyone run across this before?

Larry S.

170 is good.  Not only does the thermostat control the temps, but you prop does to.  If it is set too course to try and get higher cruise speeds out of it then your engine is getting worked harder and creating more heat.  Without knowing your RPM settings and EGTS then its tough to say what temps you should be expecting.

1 person likes this