My STYLUS... certain Avid/KitFox heritage

64 posts in this topic

Posted

Next time, I will try to upload my flight to airbase :)

Posted

Hi everybody again,

I found some videos in my computer, so I will try to share.

1 person likes this

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

nice runway, anyone ever get tangled up in them power lines?

Posted (edited)

Well, it is not a runway ... just paved pathway for agriculture/ crop duster aircraft taxi.

Runway is grass at the end of this asphalt strip. Runway is quite bumpy and that time not cut down properly, so I decided to take off from paved part, it is about 800 feet long.

As you can see, pretty enough for STYLUS ;)

Edited by Jenki
1 person likes this

Posted

And one more record from summer time, Dobra Niva arrival

Posted

Beautiful countryside, Jenki!

Posted (edited)

As we don't have real backcountry here, at least some agro strips are available

All this is from last year ...
I had to change a little my plane. Now I am taildragger but nothing to do with Avid ... sorry

I had to overfly owners home to report my intention to land - just friendly procedure.

Edited by Jenki

Posted

Well friends, my STYLUS is now in new hands.

I moved to different type - not easy for me, but for now it was only solution.

First of all, I have finally taildragger.

The second, I have a little bigger wheels / not real big bush wheels, but bush wheels, low pressure a slightly bigger then usual for such plane.

Third, it is low wing ... simply it happened, as no real good offer for STOL taildragger was here available.

It is definitely STOL, just not very suitable for really rough terrain as tail is very low after landing and wings are simply - low. I will continue to monitor this forum, maybe I will have shoulder wing STOL plan again. Bush flying is my dream.

OMM302_LZOC_edited.jpg

Resize of 2017_07_08 088.jpg

Resize of 2017_07_08 098.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Nice bird Jenki - Not all of them have to look, or act like, Avid/Kitfoxes.   EDMO

Posted

sweet looking bird.  What is it?  your always welcome to hang out here and post pics, vids and stories!  We love all things that fly!!

:BC:

Posted

BEAUTIFUL Bird....

Posted

Agree with both above - "Beautiful Bird" - Streamlined design - and "What is it"?   Anything more you can tell about it?  EDMO

Posted

@akflyer

Oh, thank you, I will do. My feeling is that I am part of this forum community.

Well, my bird.

It is Bristell TDO / it means, Tail Dragger Option/ product of BRM Aero Kunovice, Czech republic - just 50 minutes flight from my home. All metal aircraft, traveling 100 kts indicated, 48 kts on final, landing 40kts due to long wing 29.95feet. cockpit size is really very comfortable, width 4.2ft, big enough , even bigger then I need as I am short.

MTOW is 600kg/ 1320 pounds, empty 750 pounds (due to my version of avionics, usually about 700pounds). Engine Rotax 100HP, propeller FITI, light Tundra tires ;) as I will do this just very careful due my low wing.

What else. It is very good traveler, range is more then 700 miles (31.7 gal/120 liters), endurance about 8 hours. Color is mat gray as I am air force pilot retired...

Maybe I can start topic later about experience and flying stories here if you don't mind ... in the section "other aircraft your working on"

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

@akflyer

Oh, thank you, I will do. My feeling is that I am part of this forum community.

Well, my bird.

It is Bristell TDO / it means, Tail Dragger Option/ product of BRM Aero Kunovice, Czech republic - just 50 minutes flight from my home. All metal aircraft, traveling 100 kts indicated, 48 kts on final, landing 40kts due to long wing 29.95feet. cockpit size is really very comfortable, width 4.2ft, big enough , even bigger then I need as I am short.

MTOW is 600kg/ 1320 pounds, empty 750 pounds (due to my version of avionics, usually about 700pounds). Engine Rotax 100HP, propeller FITI, light Tundra tires ;) as I will do this just very careful due my low wing.

What else. It is very good traveler, range is more then 700 miles (31.7 gal/120 liters), endurance about 8 hours. Color is mat gray as I am air force pilot retired...

Maybe I can start topic later about experience and flying stories here if you don't mind ... in the section "other aircraft your working on"

That is how akflyer made this a great site to be on - We don't care what you talk about on here - ANY Airplane stories or specifications / performance figures would be interesting, especially those planes we know little about.  Thanks for posting about your new plane.  What kind of planes did you fly while in the Air Force?  Were any of them Taildraggers? Which Air Force?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hi Ed

:) I am old, but not as old as history of last taildraggers aircraft serving in Air Force.

I can say no, there were no taildraggers at all. I've flown taildragger 37 years ago as the last time (finished 1980) and that time it was about 30 hours mostly on Zlin Z126 Trener and a few hours on Zlin 326 Trener Master with retractable landing gear and CS propeller. Then long time tricycle only and last year (Jun 2017) again taildragger - my taildragger Bristell.

In the meantime a few thousand hours on "heavy metal", the smallest one was L-29 Delfin, the most comfortable L-39 Albatros, the most challenging MiG-21 Fishbed in nearly all versions. Short experience with MiG-29 Fulcrum and a few flights with F-16 are just "icing on the cake". There were some props during Air Force service as well, mostly from Zlin family like Zlin Z-142 or Z-42 and Z43, Cessna FR172 Reims Rocket (French Cessna), but all were tricycles. I spent about 60 hours (late eighties) in the famous Blanik L-13 as well - but it is different taildragger. So mostly fighters was my job.

When I finished my service at the end of 2003 there were no real opportunity to continue, even my CPL license lost currency and finally I decided to fly light aircraft. I know, that I will never more fly really high altitude and speed again- but now I can fly slowly and low. And STOL and bush flying became real challenge for me. Still it is more dream then reality, but I am flying about 150 hours per year now and once I will start with real bush flying.

That all my story.

2 people like this

Posted

That's a bristell and I help build and test fly these in the UK and what  lovely birds they are and we have build the first super charged one in the UK using a rotax 912. This I one we built end of last year 

Screenshot_20180115-153648.png

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hi Ed

:) I am old, but not as old as history of last taildraggers aircraft serving in Air Force.

I can say no, there were no taildraggers at all. I've flown taildragger 37 years ago as the last time (finished 1980) and that time it was about 30 hours mostly on Zlin Z126 Trener and a few hours on Zlin 326 Trener Master with retractable landing gear and CS propeller. Then long time tricycle only and last year (Jun 2017) again taildragger - my taildragger Bristell.

In the meantime a few thousand hours on "heavy metal", the smallest one was L-29 Delfin, the most comfortable L-39 Albatros, the most challenging MiG-21 Fishbed in nearly all versions. Short experience with MiG-29 Fulcrum and a few flights with F-16 are just "icing on the cake". There were some props during Air Force service as well, mostly from Zlin family like Zlin Z-142 or Z-42 and Z43, Cessna FR172 Reims Rocket (French Cessna), but all were tricycles. I spent about 60 hours (late eighties) in the famous Blanik L-13 as well - but it is different taildragger. So mostly fighters was my job.

When I finished my service at the end of 2003 there were no real opportunity to continue, even my CPL license lost currency and finally I decided to fly light aircraft. I know, that I will never more fly really high altitude and speed again- but now I can fly slowly and low. And STOL and bush flying became real challenge for me. Still it is more dream then reality, but I am flying about 150 hours per year now and once I will start with real bush flying.

That all my story.

Good story to read.  You have a flying history to envy.  I am like an old P-38 pilot who once told me, "My eyes couldn't keep up with 350 mph or more over the treetops." - Fying above the clouds is just not as much fun as 100 feet over the ground!   I love SLOW AND LOW!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

@EDMO

Well I can't say it is (was) always true ... but for now yes. I am happy. Slow &low is my priority now. Although I am flying 3-4 hours over top in my Bristell to Croatia as well - because of weather sometimes. And then and there again slow&low over small beautiful islands on the Croatia shore (we don't have sea here in my country). This sort of freedom is something. As it is on the picture

VRSAR_OM-M477_local_2.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Seeing the areas that other pilots fly over is great - Lots of places on earth that some of us will never see without Google.  Thanks,  EDMO

Posted

@Richard Smith

Well Bristell is known even in US just maybe in different community. There are probably tents of them flying, mostly tricycle version LSA and kit versions. One taildragger demonstrator is there as well (red one with carbon luxury cockpit) and definitely one with Rotax 914 engine (Turbocharged) is very often on YouTube as Petite Prince. Overall production  get beyond number 300 in the summer 2017.

Taildraggers are only a few from this number, maybe less then 10.

Posted

Seeing the areas that other pilots fly over is great - Lots of places on earth that some of us will never see without Google.  Thanks,  EDMO

Yes, you are right. This part on the picture is north part of Croatia and souht-west part of Slovenia. The name of this peninsula is Istria, beautiful part of Adriatic shore.

Posted (edited)

Yes, you are right. This part on the picture is north part of Croatia and souht-west part of Slovenia. The name of this peninsula is Istria, beautiful part of Adriatic shore.

Somehow, with all the wars going on now, I have seen so much sand and rocks lately that it is hard to imagine how another place can look so green and peaceful - and I know that there was not much peace in that area at one time.   Most of the planet looks better than what we see on TV.   EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

@Richard Smith

Well Bristell is known even in US just maybe in different community. There are probably tents of them flying, mostly tricycle version LSA and kit versions. One taildragger demonstrator is there as well (red one with carbon luxury cockpit) and definitely one with Rotax 914 engine (Turbocharged) is very often on YouTube as Petite Prince. Overall production  get beyond number 300 in the summer 2017.

@Richard Smith

yes you are right as out of the 60 odd that we have sold in the UK over the past couple of years only 2 have been tail dragger one with a rotax and the other with 6 cylinder jab. I help the guys out at bristell UK so I'm extremely familiar with the aircraft and aso know the guys from that states and been in the red one.what a beautiful birds they are to fly and have thought about selling my jab powered sportcruiser  many many times to upgrade to the NG5.

Posted

Somehow, they look like more $pendy than our Avids & Foxes.  EDMO