My STYLUS... certain Avid/KitFox heritage

64 posts in this topic

Posted

Somehow, they look like more $pendy than our Avids & Foxes.  EDMO

yeah just the bare kit with out avonics is around £50,000 so that's nearly  $70,000 but our avids and kitfox have a higher stress rating with +6 -3 and the bristell is +4 -2 so we have one up on them lol. 

Posted (edited)

Every plane has its purpose - I cant imagine using a low-wing for bush flying.  The low bushes in Alaska tundra would tear them up quick.  I had a friend who had to land his Ercoupe in a cornfield that had already been picked over leaving 3 to 4-foot-tall cornstalks upright - by the time he stopped the wings were totaled - An Avid or Kitfox wings probably would have survived.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed,

I know lots of people who are "bush" flying Cherokee 6's.  Lots of 135 operators are still using them as well. Bush flying is a whole lot more than just going places only the best of cub drivers dare to go.  The 6 will operate out of some pretty shitty places and carry a big load.  The biggest detractor I have with a low wing is the visibility looking down.  This about this.  If your landing in places that the brush will tear up your "low wing" then that same brush is going to eat the hell out of your fuse and tail feathers on a rag and tube bird :lmao:

Love learning about this aircraft and your flying history.  We have a very diverse group here of folding wing flyers that have flown just about every type of aircraft out there, yet here we are playing around and having a great time with our "toy" airplanes.  I love it!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Ed,

I know lots of people who are "bush" flying Cherokee 6's.  Lots of 135 operators are still using them as well. Bush flying is a whole lot more than just going places only the best of cub drivers dare to go.  The 6 will operate out of some pretty shitty places and carry a big load.  The biggest detractor I have with a low wing is the visibility looking down.  This about this.  If your landing in places that the brush will tear up your "low wing" then that same brush is going to eat the hell out of your fuse and tail feathers on a rag and tube bird :lmao:

Love learning about this aircraft and your flying history.  We have a very diverse group here of folding wing flyers that have flown just about every type of aircraft out there, yet here we are playing around and having a great time with our "toy" airplanes.  I love it!

:BC:

Agree Leni - IMO, Low wings also offer more chance to flip or hit something solid - Of course you can say the same about my nose dragger, but I haven't ground-looped one - YET.  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Well, nice discussion.

Last year I had not too much opportunities. I needed aircraft as my "STOL nose dragger" was already promised to my friend. I was attracted to tail dragger but needed to travel a lot as well. I had idea but finally agreement was broken by provider.

Suddenly Mr. Bristala, owner of company BRM Aero was calling for something different - I just raised question "do you have anything for me, used plane for example?" And he said, let's go to factory, discuss, what we can do. I had many parts at home, ready for rebuilding my STYLUS, like engine, old analog instruments, small EFIS ... when we checked inventory, we found that nearly all we need we have.On this base my Bristell was born. Old engine, partially old instrumentation, but new aircraft. And tail-dragger finally. One step closer to dream. Tail feathers are very low in position, but landing on mains will solve it partially.

I have two sons flying as well (not taildragger till now) so we have plenty opportunities for future how to use Bristell once I will be ready to let them fly solo with TDO ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

Yesterday we had first day in this here with weather not really good, but at least it was possible to take off. So I went to sky for about 35 minutes, but wind at 500ft AGL was very strong, from 30 knots gusting to 50 knots. We are at 1100 ft MSL (airfield) but it was nearly calm and I was able to climb max 3000 ft due to strong turbulence. Crazy weather.

After landing I put my Bristell in hangar just next to Stylus... and I decided to put some pictures of Stylus here again. Just to show you, how the plane is equipped and how is build, just inspiration.

Resize of IMG_6311.JPG

Resize of IMG_6307.JPG

Resize of IMG_6324.JPG

Posted

And here you are our mountains, my last season with Stylus

IMG_4878.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG

Posted

and the same place in October from Stylus as well.

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

very nice but where is the brakes?

Posted

Is that a fabric wing? Man you keep it shiny, Looks like a nice airplane

Posted

Looks like hand brakes between the seats TJay, that is what I have in my Q2 and I've been tempted more than once to put them in the Avid.  The oil tank must be behind the seat somewhere like the MK IV.  Nice plane and nice mountains, what range is that.

Posted (edited)

Well, some clarifications ;)

@ TJay yes, brakes handle is between the seats (red one), due to tricycle landing gear and steerable front wheel it is enough "ergonomic" solution. Turning diameter is really small. And yeas again, :rolleyes: shiny fabric on the wings is due to paintwork more close to car painting job. I was long time satisfied but as plane was older, some crackings in paintwork appeared.

@ wypaul, oil tank is on the front of FW on left side (pilot view), just a little deep position then usually, oil cooler as well on the left side with flap controlled intake. There is "header tank" 1.5 gal behind the seats, excellent solution. Mountains are Nizke Tatry (local language) means Low Tatras (max.6702 feet) and we have High Tatras as well (max 8720 feet) here, just about 20 kilometers / 12 miles north. Mountains are not very friendly to pilots here as they are very steep and not too much opportunities for landing there. But we have some airfields in valleys here, mostly agro-strips (often paved 1300x35-40 feet)  and some air clubs are here as well usually grass strips 2500x200 - 300 feet. Sometimes few kilometers in between them only.

Edited by Jenki

Posted

There is oil tank position more easy to recognize

Resize of IMG_6325.JPG

Posted (edited)

Yesterday  I had rare opportunity to fly this year since weather here is simply not good, rainy, low clouds, windy and usually in combination all of these elelments.

But yesterday ... nice and clean, though everything covered by snow (my 40 feet wide runway as well). I stayed in the air till dusk.

Resize of P1010213.JPG

Resize of P1010200.JPG

Edited by Jenki