To re-seal or not 582?

24 posts in this topic

Posted

i bought bigfoots avid he had posted on here.   I need to replace the cross shaft seals.  Should I pull the motor do the crank seals at this time or..........?

need a prop and tires as well

hope to have her back in the air soon

thanks in advance

Jamie

Posted

Jamie congrats on the purchase. !!

Posted

Congrats, if you want to fly sooner just replace the broken stuff, and worry bout the rest when you notice problems, unless of course your flying over hostel terrain.  Them 582's are bullet proof, you will notice right on start up if the crank seals are bad, it will be a bitch to start and when you get her running it will speed up and slow down, Another trick is take a propane torch and let the gas blow onto the crank seals if it starts to run different your seals are shot.

Posted

Thanks for the call joey.  Let me know what you find out from your dad on that prop

Tjay I live in north Idaho.  a lot of mountains and trees so I probably shouldn't take the shortcut and do crank seals now  just wanted to get in the air sooner.

where is the best place to get best quality? I have heard there are better seals now than factory rotax

Posted

Oregon Aircraft sells the aftermarket ones, He claims there way better, I don't know I just stick with the stock rotax ones I have bought from lockwood and leaf and cps all with the same products, I  did a 503 a while back and bought all from lockwood because they will mail them in an envelope if you ask, saves about 14 bucks in shipping, all the seals looked great so I took them into a local snowmobile shop and we compared them to a 1980's blizzard snowmobile with the 503, the part numbers stamped on the seals were identical, for way way less money, I still used the rotax seals because I had them, I will say some of those full gasket sets you can buy off ebay are total junk, I will always purchase each seal one by one. Hey if you have a C box or E box on that thing I have a 74" Power Fin prop I will sell you cheap, It is brand new, Not sure if you can cut down the Power Fin or not,

1 person likes this

Posted

Where about in N.Idaho? My father-In-Law is in the Sandpoint area and keeps the Rans S6-S I finished for him in Bonners Ferry.  He has a short strip in the Wrenco area.

MarkD

Posted

Tjay

how can I tell which gearbox I have?  What is the story on your prop?  

Mark

I am actually in Sandpoint.  Small world.   Do you know a good tailwheel instructor in the area?  Or a reasonable hangar for rent

thanks

Jamie

Posted

Tjay

how can I tell which gearbox I have?  What is the story on your prop?  

Mark

I am actually in Sandpoint.  Small world.   Do you know a good tailwheel instructor in the area?  Or a reasonable hangar for rent

thanks

Jamie

I bought the Power Fin for my Kitfox but then changed to a Jabiru in the middle of the build, your best bet would be to snap a photo of your gearbox that will tell us what you got, and Maybe call Power Fin and ask them if you can even cut it off. I wouldn't install a prop like this unless you have at least 3 to 1 gears in her since it has the F style blades, Let us know its nice to have some new chit chat on here,

Power fin Prop 001.JPG

Posted

I'm guessing that means it's 3-1?

if so is anyone running a prop this big and liking it?

image.jpeg

Posted

Jamie,

Check to see if Roger Dunham is still down at Hackney Field in Athol.  He is a great guy, was doing tailwheel instruction in a Piper Vagabond.  He actually flew my Avid after I sold it to a guy in Spokane before I bought it back.  Hmmmm.... hangers are hard to come by in Sandpoint, check with Charlie Brown at Lee Olmsteads field north of town, he is pretty well connected in the area.  There may be hanger space in Bonners Ferry but I do not know many pilots up there.

By the way, I love my 2-blade 72" Power Fin Prop.  I have a 2.59:1 gear box and currently I'm pitched at 11 degrees.  I reduced pitch from 11.75 degrees to have a higher RPM at a slower cruise so I could comfortably fly with a friend in his slow as mud CH-701. The shallower pitch also gives me a better launch and climb.

MarkD

Posted

Jamie,

Check to see if Roger Dunham is still down at Hackney Field in Athol.  He is a great guy, was doing tailwheel instruction in a Piper Vagabond.  He actually flew my Avid after I sold it to a guy in Spokane before I bought it back.  Hmmmm.... hangers are hard to come by in Sandpoint, check with Charlie Brown at Lee Olmsteads field north of town, he is pretty well connected in the area.  There may be hanger space in Bonners Ferry but I do not know many pilots up there.

By the way, I love my 2-blade 72" Power Fin Prop.  I have a 2.59:1 gear box and currently I'm pitched at 11 degrees.  I reduced pitch from 11.75 degrees to have a higher RPM at a slower cruise so I could comfortably fly with a friend in his slow as mud CH-701. The shallower pitch also gives me a better launch and climb.

MarkD

I did my tailwheel training with Roger in 2011,super nice guy and I believe he is still doing it.I have a 68 inch Powerfin on my Skyraider.Its a 3 blade on a 3 to 1 box.Randy

Posted (edited)

Tjay

was that powerfin prop built for 912 or 914?  I have not seen one that long. If it's for a 912 then the rotation is set up for right instead of left  correct?

do you have a # for Roger Dunham or Charlie Brown?

i found olmsteads Sky ranch the # listed is 208-263-0354 it was for lee and Angie I believe I left them a message.

Has anyone had any experience with an ultraptop?

thanks

Jamie

Edited by THE MACHINIST

Posted

Tjay

was that powerfin prop built for 912 or 914?  I have not seen one that long. If it's for a 912 then the rotation is set up for right instead of left  correct?

i found olmsteads Sky ranch the # listed is 208-263-0354 it was for lee and Angie I believe I left them a message.

thanks

Jamie

582 bolt pattern

Posted

Machinist,  you asked about what kind of gear box you have,  here are a couple of pics.  B gear box first, C gearbox second.  I doubt that the gear ratio # would be cast into the gearbox case.  I would guess that they use the same cases for all gear ratios.  Also,  TJay's prop is a left hand.  Also, TJay, if my memory is right, a 582 bolt pattern will also bolt onto a 912, maybe not on later models, but it think it will on the early ones.   JImChuk

B gear box.jpg

C gear box.jpg

Posted

Tjay

thanks

Jamie

I can get you Rogers number tomorrow at my shop,I'll PM it to you.The name of his business is Rare Air.

Posted

That would be great

thank you

Posted

Avidflyer

mine looks like the second one 

the number is stamped into the gearbox not cast that's what made me think it was the ratio

if its not the ratio I guess I could count the rotations and watch piston tdc

Posted

A 912 gearbox is part of the engine case.  It has nothing in common with the 2-stroke gearboxes.

Posted

Larry,  if your post was in response to mine, I didn't say anything about a 912 having a gear box separate from the engine.  I was only referring to the bolt patterns on the prop shaft.  JImChuk

Posted

Sorry Jim, I though you were saying the gearboxes were interchangeable...

Posted

Jamie,

Unfortunately I have been out of touch with the guys in Sandpoint for quite some time and do not have current contact information. 

I think there is still an active, local EAA chapter in the area but again no recent contact information. sorry!

MarkD 

Posted

Mark 

I spoke with Jan lee he is the local Eaa president.  He is trying to find me some hangar space. 

Thanks 

jamie