Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rudder trim tab

9 posts in this topic

Posted

My Model C with heavy hauler wings 582 requires constant right rudder in cruise. Looking for an elegant ( of course ) trim tab solution. Any ideas?

Posted

Screw an aluminum tab on the rudder.

Posted (edited)

Screw an aluminum tab on the rudder.

That aluminum tab is about the easiest way, and I consider it "elegant enough" - In addition to that, I like the turnbuckles on the end of the cables, and with those you can adjust your rudder pedals a little to equal them for cruise with it trimmed.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

How does adjusting the length of the rudder cables adjust trim?  (answer:  it doesn't)  All that will do is adjust the peddle position.

Add a tab.  Easy peasy.

Posted

How does adjusting the length of the rudder cables adjust trim?  (answer:  it doesn't)  All that will do is adjust the peddle position.

Add a tab.  Easy peasy.

Correct - But if your complaint is having one pedal a little forward to trim, then that makes pedals equal when plane is trimmed.   EDMO

Posted

So, you still wind up standing on one rudder peddle.  What has that solved?  Answer:  NOTHING

That isn't "trimming".

Posted

I used a piece of aluminum and 3M double sided tape. Little white rattle can and done.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have seen the tabs of aluminum. That will work. I like the idea of double sided tape. Sizing to start? I was toying with a spring bias, too complicated and not enough space.

Posted

I like using .060 Lexan leftover from the build.  Put it in a brake or bend it in a vice and attach with double sided tape.  Mine is about 4 X 4" with the bend at 2" leaving 2" to attach to the rudder start with about 20 degrees and go from there. The down side of the Lexan is that it's hard to tweak in place. Aluminum is better for finding the right bend angle but the Lexan is almost invisible and doesn't get mangled.