Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Float Recall

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Just got a recall notice on my floats.  I am running a 582 and earlier in the month purchased two new sets of floats (as I was having a flooding problem on one carb.  Updated to new floats and needle&seats with no more problems).  Folks at LEAF indicated that the 912's and 582's now use the same floats.  Does that jive with what you know?  I was thinking these were different, but maybe they have standardized things.

Anyway, my bird is down until replacements arrive.   Hope this doesn't take too long.

Anyone else here affected or have further info?  I will try to get the part number that is being recalled (though not sure how you can identify by just looking at the float itself).

Posted (edited)

I hope this works out better for you than the experience I had with floats that were recalled a couple of years ago.  

Edited by wypaul

Posted

Here it is in case someone didnt see it:

Alert Service Bulletin: 
Carburetor Float Exchange

What's this all about, and how does it affect my engine??

This bulletin very likely does not affect you - it applies only to a very limited range of affected engines and replacement parts.

However, if you have recently taken delivery of a new ROTAX 912, 914, or 582 that was produced AFTER MAY 9th, 2016 - or - if you have recently replaced 912, 914, 582, 447, 503 or 618 carburetors or carburetor floats with replacement parts that were produced AFTER MAY 9th, 2016 - then you should read on!

mandatory!

A NEW Alert Service Bulletin has been issued which applies to a very limited range of 912, 914, and 2-stroke engines, as well as any engines which have been equipped with ROTAX part number 861185 floats during engine repair, maintenance or general overhaul as of May 09, 2016. 

Due to manufacturing deviations, certain 861185 carburetor floats supplied as spare parts after May 9th, 2016, and/or installed on specific serial number engines and carbs (see the ASBs for specific serial number ranges), may have the outer surface "peel" or “flake” from engine vibration.

Serial number ranges are detailed in ASB-912-069 / ASB-914-051 (certified engines) and ASB-912-069UL / ASB-914-051UL / ASB-2ST-003 (UL engines).

Affected floats must be replaced with current-issue 861185 floats, which are now marked with three dots for positive identification.

http://www.rotax-owner.com/en/videos-topmenu/expanded-video-instructions/459-asb912069

Posted

Thought I would add a bit more here.  New floats arrived on Monday and have had 4 real nice flights since that time.  Engine running great and very smooth.

What perplexes me though is that my original problem (very rough idle and occasional fuel coming out if the carbs into the air filter); I had attributed to a needle/seat problem.  I replaced both and the problem remained.  I replaced the floats (2 months ago) and the problem went away (hence a presumed float issue).  However, the original floats always floated fine, just never worked well.  When my new floats were recalled, I put the old floats back in to see what would happen, and yes the problem returned.  Not sure if the total buoyancy is a bit less (by design) than the new ones, but there is a noticeable difference.  What I am getting at is that there might be more to checking floats than a simple float test.  Float height fuel shut off position was also checked prior to ordering new floats.

The old ones were rectangular.  The new ones are scalloped on the outboard corners (which may help with clearance at the corner points).

Figured I would pass it along in case anyone was having similar issues.  Currently running the new style floats (shown above), with size 50 idle jets (at 1+3/4 turn air screw turns) and it runs fabulously. (80F at 1,000 PA currently).