Matco Tailwheel

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Guys,

Whats been your experience setting up and using Matco tailwheels?  I'm thinking of installing the 8" air tire with single arm. Kinda concerned about shimmiing issues as I've heard a couple of guys fight it. Thanks,Bryce

Posted (edited)

I have the 8" dual fork and it may be somewhat different than the single when it comes to shimmy, not sure.  I had a period of shimmy when I wheel land and the tw touched down but on Matco's recommendation I tightened the vertical axle and now the shimmy for the most part is gone.  Two different strengths of springs on the tail wheel are the general recommend setup to solve shimmy.   I like mine, much nicer than the Maule (aka mal);).

Edited by wypaul
Spell
2 people like this

Posted

Thanks! What are the two different strengths of springs on the tail wheel that you refer to? And has all of the shimmy gone away? 

Posted

FWIW - no shimmy issues with my single arm.  Using standard springs and arms with about 25% compression in the neutral state.

Posted

The springs are the ones that connect the rudder to the tail wheel.  I do not have different springs on mine.  Still shimmies occasionally but seldom.

Posted

I have the 8" single arm and have never had a shimmy issue.  I use compression springs but run them pretty loose.  Tis being said, I think I may go to the 10" wider wheel as some of the places I land even the 8" wide does not work for anything besides an anchor.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

I recently switched from the solid Maule tailwheel to an 8" Matco pneumatic single arm.  Any comments on the setup?  I've flown it a little and thought I had a little shimmy on my last landing which surprised me a little since I think I've got enough positive caster angle.  The ride is much smoother and I can now unlock and spin in either direction.

IMG_4718.JPG

Posted

My Matco tail wheel, identical to yours, shimmied a bit at higher speeds just after touchdown until I tightened up the main pivot bolt a bit more than the instructions described. Since then I have had no shimmy events.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks nlappos. I'll give that a go. 

Posted

I tightened up the pivot bolt and it's much happier now. No shimmy. Thanks again nlappos!

Posted

Posted

:P

Posted

Av8r_Sed, what tailwheel spring are you using? Mike

Posted

I've got the Grove aluminum one circa about 1993.  I'm not sure they make those anymore, although they're making a new one for the SS.