Kitfox 1 questions

312 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Im looking at buying a kitfox 1 from a friend here in alaska, kitfox serial number 0021, i have Never owned a kitfox befor and wanted to chat with someone that has a kitfox 1,2,3. Just dont know anyone and would like some info "good,bad,modification,general performance stuff like that, Have owned a cessna 120 never flew it, and grewup in a supercub with my dad.  And very interested in pickin up flyin myself and a kitfox b nice on some floats for fishin afterwork up here in fairbanks alaska.  Thanks in advance bucky 

Edited by Buckchop
Add more info

Posted (edited)

If that Kitfox 1 has the original engine, then it is a 532 with single ignition.  More HP would sure help on floats, but AKflyer does OK with similar.  2-stroke knowledge is vital.  I have owned a Kitfox 1, 2 & 3 - each one damaged by engine failure.

That is the lightest EW and GW (850 lb on wheels) that Kitfox made about 30 years ago.  The tail feathers are too small, IMO, and you may have to add some power to flare - typical for the early Kitfoxes.  They have adverse yaw, so you have to stay on the pedals and lead with them.  I don't fly floats, so don't know how much that changes things.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Im building one here, they are nice solid airplanes,

Posted

I just finished restoring a Kitfox 1 project that I picked up last fall.  It has a 582 Rotax.  It is quick to get off the ground, and very light on the controls. Very responsive.  Kitfox 1 is only 36" wide, so it's probably easier to fly alone or with a smaller sized person.  I've only flew mine a few hours, but I've flown about 550 hrs in Avid Flyers, so it wasn't really new to me.  They are a fun plane.  If you can find someone up in your neck of the woods to do some flying  in a Kitfox or Avid, it would be very helpful.  JImChuk 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info so far. All info to me is helpful.  Yes it is a 532 motor, low hours since built. Been sittin now 8-10 years inside storage. But has been started least once a year, Has three blade ground adjustable prop,foldin wings, bigger tires, droop tips, balistics shoot, cabin heater, and a set of "owner say" factory kitfox skis, and a new set of windows for whole plane. I am good with small engines, have rebuilt many snowmachine motors and built a few streetrods from scratch, planes just a little new adventure.  Hope to chat with akflyer sometime, since sounds like he has simular plane.  Thanks again 

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Rotax say replace the seals every 5 years.  Leaking seals mean cooked pistons.  Also it is probably a good idea to have a look inside the engine if it's sat that long.  Could have corrosion inside and that would not be good either.  I have a local shop do my engines, they are good, close, and very reasonable.   For peace of mind, I would suggest tearing it down.  If all is good, then you spent some money you maybe didn't need to, but if the reseal, decarbon, ect keeps you out of the trees it will be well worth it.  YMMV.  JImChuk

Posted

Buckchop, where are you located?  I have a good bit of time in a mod 1 and they are great planes for what they were intended to do.  They do have a lower gross weight so don't think your going to fly a full moose out with one :lol:  But you can do it in a few trips!

PM me your number and we can chat.

:BC:

Posted

Hello everyone im in palmer for the fair and would like to meet someone that has a older kitfox, id like to ask a few question, listen to info u have on them, and would even pay someone to give me a ride in an older kitfox this weekend while im here.  Im really chompin at the bit to buy this kitfox in fairbanks, just need to sell a harley or a muscle car first.  Wife say if i want a new toy and old toy has to find a new home. Hahahhaaaaaa well hope to here from someone. And if not,,, have an awesome LABOR DAY WEEKEND!!!!

Posted

Well ok all my new friends there isnt any turning back for me know. Some my 1963 chevyII yesturday to a good guy here in fairbanks was damm hard to do when they all r part of ur family, hahahaaaa. But now im chompin at the bit to go get that Kitfox 1, i sure hope its still there, for sale, ill b bumded if not. Called th owner and no answer hope he hasnt went south for winter will keep u posted. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I got my plane!!  I am super super stoked doing cleanup and TLC fuel lines new windows and stuff and see if she'll run here maybe this weekend. Wont b doing any flyin yet. But every bit is a step closer.  And i cant thank AkFlyer (Leni) enough for the help, advice, and things to look for b4 i bought it.  THANKS LENI!!! Well off to do somemore TLC to my new Kitfox #0021.  Thanks to all of u, chat again soon, Bucky 

1 person likes this

Posted

Unless we see pictures, we don't believe you!!  ;-)  Have fun, and fly safe!  These planes have fast excelleration and are quick off the ground, be ready to fly as soon as you start moving the throttle forward.  "stay ahead of it"  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

No problem, that's what we are here for.  hopefully I can get up there in a couple weeks, but things are pretty fluid for me right now.  

Jim, I saw the pics! 

:bc

1 person likes this

Posted

Well here is a few pic Jim if i can get them to work. Not a good computer guy. Hahahhaaaa Have done all new fuel lines, pulse line, coolant lines, scrubbed clean the whole plane inside and out by hand, and today i hope to get started cuttin out and installin new windows. Hope to have her outside wings unfolded and mayb a startup this weekend.  "Wife still says im crazy"

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Just sing her the Billy Joel song  "It just might be a lunatic you're looking for"  That's what I always tell my wife.  Works for me! One thing I liked about the 532 with points ignition was it was fairly easy to hand prop it if you needed to.  Also that plane didn't have the electric starter and battery, so it was pretty light (445lbs) and performed accordingly.  JImChuk

Posted

Ahhh yes that may work buddy!!!! Lol well this little baby does have electric start which is nice. 

Posted

Neat gear.  Kinda Cub-like.

Posted

Lotsa fuel as well.  

Posted

Lotsa fuel as well.  

Does he have a wing tank or two?  I have one of those nose tanks from a Kitfox 1 or 2 that I would sell.   EDMO

Posted

Well she has two wing tanks one in each wing, and the cowl tank, but not sure how many gallons they all r.  Does have cub stlye gear, wheels, tires, brakes, and i even got a sweet set of fiberglass skis with white UHMV on the bottoms. 

image.jpg

Posted

From the pics it looks like aluminum tanks and only one bay so I am guessing the wing tanks are 6 gallons each and the main nose tank.  Still enough to keep you in the air for around 4 hours of a tad more depending on how hard you run it.

Those skis are different from what I thought they would be.  Looks heavy duty for sure!

:BC:

Posted

I think the nose tank is about 6 or 7 gallons.  EDMO

Posted

My Kitfox 1 header tank holds 9 gallons.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Anyone recognize those ski's?  Nice looking design.  Are they heavy?

Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

The Skis look like the ones the old Skystar factory offered in the early days.  They are fiber glass over steel frames.  I have the installation and rigging instructions if you need them.

Edited by tcj

Posted

Actually no they r pretty light fiberglass construction. And i would love the plans/mounting info!!! Thanks TCJ.  I coukd have them in a box of paperwork that came with the plane, been to busy fixing her up and havent looked thro it yet.