Kitfox 1 questions

312 posts in this topic

Posted

The Skis look like the ones the old Skystar factory offered in the early days.  They are fiber glass over steel frames.  I have the installation and rigging instructions if you need them.

tcj, That ski info would be good to post in Files and Forms.   EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

The Skis look like the ones the old Skystar factory offered in the early days.  They are fiber glass over steel frames.  I have the installation and rigging instructions if you need them.

tcj, That ski info would be good to post in Files and Forms.   EDMO

I'll see if I can do that.  Standby.

Posted

Kitfox Ski Mounting Instructions are uploaded to Files and Forms

Posted

Anyone have a set of those ski's that they would be willing to part with?

Posted

Anyone have a set of those ski's that they would be willing to part with?

I am not parting with my fiberglass ones, but have you looked at the tube and UHMW skis that Avid made?  You can make them straight ski's or wheel penetration ski's.  If there is enough interest in these I can whip some out in relatively short order.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks Len, actually I plan to make a set of the Airdale style soon, however I do prefer the Kitfox fiberglass ski's should I run across a pair.

1 person likes this

Posted

Was lookin at ski info and that will sure help out. THANKS But i c that my axels r 1.5". But no biggy my skis have a large enough hole.  Will know more on fittin of skis when i start to install them later this winter. 

Posted

Well everyone too her outside today and fired her up.  Seems to run good, little ruff at idle but just a few rpms and smoothes right out. Temp went to 140 them back to about 110-120.  Tach dont seam to work all the time. Choise when it wants to respond. Hahhaaaa so ill have to replace that. Even taxied her around the yard a bit. And YAHOO!! Im hooked.  Hahahaaaa well tomorrow ill play somemore got to dark so tied her down and gave her a kiss goodnight!!! Hahhaaaaaaaaaa here a few pic. THANKS to all of u.  Long live #0021

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Looks good - you are going to need those skis soon....Snow must be late - usually 5 October...   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You are definitely making progress.  What rpm are you trying to idle it at where it's running rough?  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

You are definitely making progress.  What rpm are you trying to idle it at where it's running rough?  JImChuk

I think he needs to get a Tiny Tach, or one of the cheap imitations - he said his tach "sometimes" works.  

I know what you are getting at - maybe he is idling too slow?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You are right Ed, to low of an RPM on these 2 strokes and the gearbox/prop will cause it to run rough.  Probably wont run smooth till you get to 2300-2500 rpm.  Tiny tach is definatly the way to go.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Well u r right snow is late. This snow u c has been on the ground over a week, and sunday was 32 degrees out. And had rained saturday.  Hard to say what rpm it was at as sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt so dont think was right at all. Will b gettin a tiny tach/hour meter today. And will c how she does then. 

Posted (edited)

Well u r right snow is late. This snow u c has been on the ground over a week, and sunday was 32 degrees out. And had rained saturday.  Hard to say what rpm it was at as sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt so dont think was right at all. Will b gettin a tiny tach/hour meter today. And will c how she does then. 

I think Leni said that it was too warm most of last winter - Guess that is "Global Warming", and I voted for it in Barrow, Alaska!  :lol:  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hi Bucky,

I believe the 532 has the same water temperature operating limitations as the 582, which are minimum of 150 deg for takeoff and max of 175. Some folks install a thermostat and some tape off part of the radiator. The danger of low coolant temperature is rapid cooling and cold seizure when you throttle back. Of course this means you need to have confidence in the accuracy of your water temperature gauge too. 

Posted (edited)

As I remember it, the 532 high water temp was 190.  I think the higher temp than the 582 was because the bearing cages were plastic in the 582 and metal in the 532.  That's what my memory it telling me right now anyway so don't bet the bank on it  :-).  I tried to find a 532 manual, but couldn't.  My larger overhaul manual for the 462, 532, and 582 doesn't give the temp limits.  Considering the snow on the ground, he probably won't have to worry about the high temp, but that is a very good point about not having too cool of temps.  I could post pictures of pistons that were cold seized in a plane before I got it.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Well all that is good info for sure. Leni and I chatted some about it also. And with luck it could b cause cool outside and have no covers on the motor at the moment. So hope to get them painted and installed by the weekend. But had to move plane outside and work on wifes and daughter car to make sure they ready for winter. But i can multi task. Hahahhaaaaaaa new Tiny Tach works great did a quick mountin for now will mount better when plane in garage again. 

Posted

Dont forget to look through the service bulletins when you get a chance.  You can find them on the Kitfox site.  Here is a good thread on one of them that might apply to you in case you hadnt already seen it.

Posted

Oh boy that's gonna be a fun little bird. You just can't beat the early ones that were around that 500lb mark. Feel like a fighter jet compared to the later models. They have their limitations but I'd love to have a 400lb 503 powered A model in my stable for local flying.

Posted

How about a 500 lb Kitfox 1 with a 582???  ;-)  It's a fun machine.  JImChuk

Posted

Was lookin thro build paperwork and looks like mine is 513 with fuel and a BRS.  And a 532 rotax. But Jim that is my long term goal to put a 582 rotax in it.  Sittin down today and lookin thro all the service letters also. And will look at #45. Thanks 

Posted

If you are at 513 with fuel and a BR$, that is a light bird!  My Kitfox 1 is right at 500lbs with no fuel or BR$.  I was kidding Joey about buying my Kitfox 1.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I think my copy of the Kitfox 1 fuselage weighs about 60 pounds, compared to my other fuselage which is about 100 pounds.  SkyPirate showed me the fixture he used to make aluminum ribs like our undercambered ribs for an ultralight.  I believe if someone wanted to make a single-seat like the Belite, they could get the weight way down from the standard KF1 500 pounds, but it still wont be an ultralight.  Or, just spend the $$$$ and buy a Belite which I think was made from the KF1 copy with a smaller engine.  You can correct me if I am wrong about the Belite - maybe I am thinking of another bird?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ohhhhh no very sorry my damm fat fingers typin on this cell phone!!!! It say 513lbs with NO fuel and BRS.  Sorry guys. 

Posted

If the BR$ is 25 lbs, then you are about 488 empty.  That's not to bad, lighter than mine.....  Not sure why mine is as heavy as it is, small battery, nothing extra in it really.  Got to fly it a bit this evening.  Nice!  Might put a vid on utube later....JImChuk