Kitfox 1 questions

312 posts in this topic

Posted

Well getting ready start going thro service bulitens.  Went to the kitfox website and it keeps sayin there no file found error 404.  Anyone know whats up? I have about all of them printed out ( they came with plane).  But in my paperwork #45 is Ensuring proper fuel system perf. 

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

Here's the link to Kitfox's new web site where the links still work. http://kitfoxaircraft.com/index.php/ct-menu-item-1/technical-f-a-q

You'll see there are Service Bulletins and Service Letters.  The elevator push pull tube idler belcrank idler bolt is #45 in thee Bulletins.

Edited by tcj

Posted

Thanks tcj but that the one ive been going to.  And when i click it from ur post it still takes me to a screen that says File not found 404. Not sure what thats about.  But did get #45 fixed, looks like new, course my plane only has 134hrs on it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

This is a nice way to fix it

100_1096.JPG

Edited by TJay
1 person likes this

Posted

I changed that bolt on my Kitfox 1 that had about 360 hrs on it, and couldn't see any wear on the bolt.  Don't know if the bolt was ever changed since the original built or not.  It didn't really look like it, but I don't know for sure one way or the other.  Lubed it up and put it back together.  Certainly worth having a look at it though for peace of mind.  JImChuk

Posted

Ok I'm have a problem reading and understanding these ivo prop instructions.  Called ivo talked with them and they sent me email with instructions and far as I can tell the last guy that had my prop off may not have reinstalled it right.  Mayb someone can head me in right direction.  I have the standard adjustable prop that has been discontinued 20 years ago.  Hahahahhaaaa here is instructions and a few pic of my prop as it is on plane now.   Thanks 

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

Posted

I had an Ivo like that on another plane too. It's really just about moving the spacers from behind the prop to the front of it. This lets the cam move and thus changes the pitch. It is measurable but since it really only changes it at about 2/3rds (mostly tip) of the way out on each blade it isn't a true adjustment. Basically move one from behind or from in front, depending on which way you want to change the pitch and go fly it. If that doesn't work do another one. It's just trial and error with them. From your picture you would likely have to move one or more from behind to in front of the prop. 

It's also the reason I pulled mine off and went with a wood prop that has a true pitch to it. It never ran that smooth and was terribly inefficient compared to what I could design and build from scratch. 

What changes are you trying to make with the blade adjustment? That much information might help clue you in to which way to go with it. I'll help if I can. 

Posted

To get a pretty good idea if the prop is adjusted right for flight, you would do a static run up.  Tie the plane off and see what maximum RPM is at full throttle.  6250 is about right with a 3 blade IVO.  If you didn't have enough pitch in the prop, and fly with it, you could burn up the engine.  2 stroke engines need to be loaded to the proper amount or else the EGT temps will go too high and melt a piston.   Then it get's quiet, and you can look at one or two blades of the prop that aren't all blurry.  (cause they're stopped)  What is your static RPM now?  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Well was flown by other owner as it is now, just not sure where its at. So wanted to check it. But ended up puttin plane away in the "toy shop" hahahaaaa and work on something different for a bit. But thanks for the help with it and will ask and do some more resurch again when back to playin with the plane.  Here a few pic 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Severe jealousy just set in after seeing your "toy shop". Not just for the space but for what's stored there as well! Quite a life you must have.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted

Well all looks good in there i do agree but being a gold minner here in ester isnt what u may think.  Nice to have the toys but to bad i dont use them enough in summer, always workin and have all winter off work. Mayb im in the wrong state durring winter. Hahaaaaa 

hey anyone out there lookin for a Montana Coyote? There one here in town for sale for $2500 has everything guy says except firewall forward and says it had a 0290 in it, and it needs fabric on the rear section.  Im going to look at it later today, call me on my cell if anyone interested.  I dont have the extra cash this time of year unless i sold one of the harleys 

image.jpg

Posted

Sorry cell number 907 460-9591 and i can help u out with gettin it shipped or stored here at my shop till u can pu.  

Posted

and the Coyote is no longer for sale, I pick it up on the 2nd when I get in from work. 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

and the Coyote is no longer for sale, I pick it up on the 2nd when I get in from work. 

Just so everyone knows - The "Coyote" was advertised as the "Magnum".  You got a Moose-hauler now!  Congrats,  EdMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Sounds like a home  for that artic cat engine :BC:

Posted

no sir, the amphibian get that engine.  I have a buddy with a couple 0290s I'm gonna put one of those in it.  that's what it had originally so it will be a quick install :BC:

Posted

no sir, the amphibian get that engine.  I have a buddy with a couple 0290s I'm gonna put one of those in it.  that's what it had originally so it will be a quick install :BC:

You know the drill Leni, dust off the camera and start a build thread, or in this case a rebuild thread. Congrats, should be a fun bird. 

1 person likes this

Posted

You know the drill Leni, dust off the camera and start a build thread, or in this case a rebuild thread. Congrats, should be a fun bird.

as always, it's a paperwork issue.  plane was deregistered in 96 and listed as destroyed...methinks the best route may be for ak experimental fabrication to build a new plane from parts and prints.... then apply as if it's a brand new plane.

1 person likes this

Posted

Or the corvair? Maybe that engine doesn't work for your type flying.

Posted

Oh my, Could it be poor Leni has finally reached late stage of A.I.D.S. where all judgement and reason truly goes plane cloudy...

But then again, it looks like a moneymaker so maybe he's just shrewd like a 'fox. After all, he is our first AvidFoxFlyer! :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh my, Could it be poor Leni has finally reached late stage of A.I.D.S. where all judgement and reason truly goes plane cloudy...

But then again, it looks like a moneymaker so maybe he's just shrewd like a 'fox. After all, he is our first AvidFoxFlyer! :lmao:

:lmao: 

I figure its about as close to the "avid grand slam" as I will ever get.  For really short money I can have a flying truck thats wider than the 180 by 6" and is still cheap to fly.  Win win in my book.  Who knows, I may end up flipping my flyer, but I have a bad habit of never selling things just collecting more..

1 person likes this

Posted

:lmao: 

I figure its about as close to the "avid grand slam" as I will ever get.  For really short money I can have a flying truck thats wider than the 180 by 6" and is still cheap to fly.  Win win in my book.  Who knows, I may end up flipping my flyer, but I have a bad habit of never selling things just collecting more..

Guilty.  I'm getting ready to build my 2nd hangar......

My best friend in Illinois said it best.  I was helping him on the farm, and when we were done we couldn't fit the equipment in the shed anymore.  I said I'd have to come back and help him clean it out.  He said "Nope, just time to build another shed.  It's the kids and auctioneers job to clean em out".

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Man Leni im glad u picked up that bird so i can stop wantin it. Hahahahaaaaa like i said let me know when ur here, ill help u load it up for the trip home. And have a few beers 

1 person likes this

Posted

Beers after the drive, load the bird, beers, lies, beers, more lies, captn n coke, more lies borrow your couch.. :lmao: 

2 people like this