Kitfox 1 questions

312 posts in this topic

Posted

Also one thing to consider, If you flip those gas struts around they last a bit longer,

Posted (edited)

Also one thing to consider, If you flip those gas struts around they last a bit longer,

Is that because of the dust & dirt setteling on the rod seal?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Im not sure exactly, My guess is when upside down they have continuous oil on the seal?

Posted

Im not sure exactly, My guess is when upside down they have continuous oil on the seal?

Maybe both?  Good idea TJay.   EDMO

Posted

I like the idea, makes sence, ill turn mine around, thanks. 

Posted

Have anyone here had a problem gettin the outlet strainer fittin in a model 1 KF to stop leakin? The plastic boss where u thread the fittin into on bottom of tank keeps spreading out so the fitting doesnt want to seal up.  I can probably glue it in perminet but then if have a problem down the road the tank mayb not b able to fix.  Just thought id ask if anyone had the problem befor and if so ur ideas on the fix.  Cant have gas/oil mix leakin inside the cabin while flyin. Hahhaaaaaaa 

Posted

Try a fuel proof silicone sealant on the threads or thread tape 

Posted (edited)

Sounds like over-torque.  Permatex Aviation #3 from auto parts store - If that don't work, then epoxy in hole and rethread tank, and again use #3.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yea im sure its overtourge in the begining of the problem. I was leakin there when i got the plane. And thought i had it fixed but guess needs a little more work. Hahahaaaa still workin on gettin motor back in and started, been workin the mine and busy busy. But im gettin close. Mayb get lucky enough to have a friend of mine thats good with flyin KF fly it b4 end of this month. 

Posted (edited)

I didn't like the looks of that plastic tank boss when I first installed the finger strainer so here's what I did.  Screwed the finger strainer about 1/2 or 3/4s of the way in then tightened the small hose clamp around the boss and then tightened the finger strainer it a little more.  That's fuel proof pipe dope on the finger strainer and permatex fuel sealer on the AN fitting.

Panel Tank Finger Strainer.jpg

Edited by tcj
1 person likes this

Posted

Tcj thats what im thinkin to do for a repair, if u look at a gastank outlet on most snowmachines they have a metal clamp around the plastic boss to keep it from spreadin when u screw in fitting.  Thanks for the help 

Posted

Thanks for the tour of the mine Bucky! We got to hang out for a few hours on Tuesday. Really awesome place you guys have there. Seems so brown and bleak and hot back here in CA. 

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

Ohhh yea buddy that was a hell of a great day!!! No rain and good company, i enjoyed showin u two around. Let me know when u r back in fairbanks again we will do a tour again someplace eles. Hahhaaaaaaa

Posted

Well here i go i guess. Hahahaaaa bought 2 more planes, picked up Kitfox number 0038, with all her paperwork, needs a good amount of TLC, 55hrs total time.  (I have already bought the 582with C drive that was planned for upgrade into 0038 by prevs owner, and the 503 with A drive which was in 0038, plus the 3blade ground ajustable ivo prop) And so im told Avid number 0074 but she is just a parts machine. But lots of good stuff for sure.  Have brought home all except for the 4 wings,  1 fuseloge,and a few odds and ends.  Very happy to have them not sure what the plan is with them yet but open to ideas.  Hahahaaaaa here a few pic, and more to come. Hahhaaaa Thanks to all u out there for the help. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

Another early Kitfox cowl.  That is, before they went to the round cowl.  I really don't know why they stuck with the round cowl all these years, it's way harder to see over then it needs to be, and in my opinion, the early cowl looked better. To bad you are so far away, if you want to part anything out, it's a long way for shipping.  I know of someone who  needs a flaperon.   JImChuk

Posted

Another early Kitfox cowl.  That is, before they went to the round cowl.  I really don't know why they stuck with the round cowl all these years, it's way harder to see over then it needs to be, and in my opinion, the early cowl looked better.

Marketing, to differentiate the Kitfox from the Avids.  

I like the look of the round cowl better, myself.

1 person likes this

Posted

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, as the saying goes.  I have the Kitfox 1 with the round cowl, and the Avid Flyer, and it's way easier to see over the nose on the Avid, whether in flight or on the ground.  That vision thing is probably my biggest issue with the round cowl.  I believe Kitfox had thoughts of using a radial engine that didn't pan out around the time the round cowl started as well.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Well Dad,myself,and my buddy John spent an hour or so removin the wings off Dads pa12 yesturday, and gettin fuseloge ready to recover in white Oratex  6000.  Will make a nice winter project for me to do while Dads in Louisianna fishin this summer. Hahhaaaaaa thought the pic where good to share on how the Alaska Gold Miner does it.   Enjoy

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Decisions,Decisions,Decisions??? Hahahaaaa i just couldnt stand it had to drag KF #0038 in the garage and  try to decide what i want to do.  My black one KF #0021 is ready to fly now all stock with the 532/A drive,  And i have a 582/C drive was going to install. But Mayb ill put the 582/C drive in this one,,,,,,,, to many decisions hahahahahaaaaaaa

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

looks to be in pretty good shape.  Put the 582 on this one and keep it light as possible! 

:BC:

Posted

Throw a 912 ULS on it and really have something...

Posted

Well a 912 would b nice but they r to spendy for me at the moment, i have the complete 582/C and lots of parts,  I think i could put whole plane together with minimal stuff to buy just have lots of work to do on the left wing.   Mayb 582/C, minimal electric, rope start, try shed all the weight possiable for a nice light bird for fishin after work, and weekends and still have my black one as my cadillac. Hahahaaaaa

1 person likes this

Posted

Well im thinking about sellin the blue Kitfox model 1, serial# 0038 fuselage in good shape will need recovered, right wing ok but needs covered, left wing will need rebuilt and recovered, has stock gear with matco brakes wheels and 21" tires, also need new lexan, ect.  No motor or drive or prop, plane use to have a 503/A box, and i have ALL paperwork, hr meter says55hrs, also has an Avid fuselage with miss parts and buildable wings.  Im in it for $4000. Hope to sell for that. 

Posted

Yahoo!!! Im back to work on the BlueFox, got landing gear sandblasted, primed, painted this weekend. Today was able to get her into a three legged roller. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

looken nice