Kitfox 1 questions

312 posts in this topic

Posted

Are those the Nanco N800 tires?

Posted

Nanco 21x12x8. These came with the BlueFox but im going to buy a set of 27x10.5x8 Dessers for this one.  I have the 21" Dessers on my BlackFox and i really like them. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Well motor is all mounted, was interesting figuring what difference was between the 503 that was in it to the 582, but just had to look into the build manuals i have from my BlackFox.  Today ill get the Cbox on and Radiator and start plumbing coolant lines.  Question i have,, how much fabric does it take to cover a KitFox model 1? Im about ready to place my order for Oratex 6000 in Corsair Blue to cover this plane once i get everthing mocked up in place.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

Pretty sure the book said to figure 35 yards

:BC:

Posted

My clipped wing Model 1 took 32yds

Posted

A wonderful time. To avoid confusion (from Oratex website):

How wide is the fabric?

Oratex comes in two widths: 90 centimeter and 180 centimeter (35.43 and 70.87 inches, respectively).

Posted

Another thing to think about is does Oratex meaxure  by the sq yard or the running yard.  The 32 and 35 yard figures were using fabric that was 70" wide, figured by the running yard.  (which would be almost 2 square yards for each running yard)  JImChuk

Posted

Another thing to think about is does Oratex meaxure  by the sq yard or the running yard.  The 32 and 35 yard figures were using fabric that was 70" wide, figured by the running yard.  (which would be almost 2 square yards for each running yard)  JImChuk

Pretty  sure when I talked to them a few years ago that their pricing, measuring was called out as square, not running, yard. Best check for sure.

Posted

That could almost double your yardage compared to a running yard.  With the 70" fabric I would have figured 35 yds.  I'm trying to remember if anyone who had done a complete Kitfox or Avid in Oratex posted what it cost them complete.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

That could almost double your yardage compared to a running yard.  With the 70" fabric I would have figured 35 yds.  I'm trying to remember if anyone who had done a complete Kitfox or Avid in Oratex posted what it cost them complete.  JImChuk

Fred should know.   The cost of 70" is almost double the cost of 35", so guess it is running yards?   I was thinking it would cost about $4K including tools, tapes, glue, etc.?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You still selling one of the kitfox's? I'm in kodiak AK give me a call or a text if you are. 406-548-1322

Posted

Well made some more progress today with plumbin ect. Even did a quick fit of the cowl, so far all is going good id say.  Now to c what ill finish tomorrow. Hahahhaaaaaaa 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

Just looked at my email from orderin Oratex for coverin dads pa12.  Doing all of the plane, EXCEPT the wings,  And better aircraft fabric sold me 20yds and i belive its the 70" wide, will know for sure when it shows up here in the next week i hope. 

Posted

I shared some Oratex experience in a previous string, you can find one of the posts here, and more in the same string:

Posted

Well still no Oratex 6000 for the PA12,  (Paid for it on Sept 15 2017) so ill work on the KitFox 0038, (Which dont hurt my feelings)  Better Aircraft Fabric in anchorage said once my order shows up they goimg to send a represenitive from anchorage up to my place in ester to show me the ropes on the install and to put together a show-and-tell on the install for anyone eles interested in the product. So if ur interested and in or around fairbanks all r welcome. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well all the Oratex 6000 showed up yesturday so b4 long i will b recovering the PA12, but i got my dash laidout and stuff mounted in KitFox 0038,  Will put a TinyTach in bare spot between small gauges, and a vertical speed where the factory KF rpm gauge is at. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
2 people like this

Posted

You might have already caught it, but your head vent line needs to go as high as possible to preclude any vented gases from getting sucked back into the pump.  Utlumately to get sent out to the expansion tank and vented to atmosphere.

DSCN5785.JPG

Posted (edited)

DSCN5783.thumb.JPG.db3e362004a04260f1061

Edited by LSaupe
Change Image

Posted

Mmm well i c thanks for the info larry, all i knew is it  just had to go somewhere b4 cap, hahahaaaa, i need all the help i can get sometimes, ill change that asap. Thanks again 

Posted

Well been doing a little work on the BlueFox, got the wiring done except the TinyTach( mounting it in the bare spot on dash) Im gettin the exhaust i got from Jim mounted now, then ill weld the outlet backon to fit cowl, once thats done just put the parts into the carbs, cables and fluids and ill start it up for the first time. YAHOO!!! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh i forgot,  Checkout what a buddy of my son drew for me, he is one heck of an artist and he is only 17, he draws alot of cartoonish cars, and motorcycles for people here and has done some for me, so i gave him a challenge to do his first airplane, if anyone interested i can ask him about one for u.  I belive he charges $40.00ea but ill have to check. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 people like this

Posted

That's Awesome!  He's got some Great talent at a young age.  Hopefully he will have a chance to do something with it down the road.

Posted

Awesome to see your plane coming together too!  BTW

Will not be long and you will have some fun in the air!  Cheers Randy 

Posted

No doubt, great young artist. If it were for me, I would have him exaggerate the 'balloon' nature of the mains. Not knocking the young man, he's just more familiar with cars is all. I can barely manage a smiley face with pen and paper....

1 person likes this

Posted

No doubt, great young artist. If it were for me, I would have him exaggerate the 'balloon' nature of the mains. Not knocking the young man, he's just more familiar with cars is all. I can barely manage a smiley face with pen and paper....

Those are old school AK tundra tires.  When guys were putting Mickey Thompson racing slicks on cubs here to get the soft side wall wide tires.