Kitfox 1 questions

312 posts in this topic

Posted

500lbs, Holy Cow!  If my model 2 is near that then I'll start over. I am shooting for 425-450 lbs. Whether I make it or not remains to be seen. But I've been wrong before.

Aircooled Hirth will probably come in at least 25 or 30  lbs lighter than the 582 after plumbing, radiators and coolant.  My Avid B model weighed 445, but had no battery or el. starter on the 532 Rotax.  Plus it had a light A gearbox.  10 lbs less then a C box.  JImChuk

Posted

My Hirth came in 105 lbs as removed from previous airframe. It shouldn't gain much with a gearbox over the belt drive.  Compared to a 500+ aircraft w/582 and a 450 aircraft w/55 hp should perform similar all other things being equal. I weigh 140 with a cup of Maxwell House so I am not concerned there. I don't think there has been an aircraft built from a kit that weighed what a factory kit plane weighed.  They go very basic and have been known to fudge a little on specs. Same with engine specs. Homebuilders are not known for going basic. If we had all the stuff the flying mags said we need to fly safe, there wouldn't be room in the aircraft for a pilot. We all know that no way a Cub can fly with 4 or 5 gages at the most, right.

1 person likes this

Posted

Mmm i c, well i guess ill cross my fingers and c where it comes out, will b a fun plane fo fly. 

Both wings on, and checking the fit of my $40 garage sale wing covers. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

No matter what it weighs, its a nice looking plane!

1 person likes this

Posted

Well almost done with the right wing, once its done ill start my covering process. Hahhaaaaa not looking forward to that part but least its almost done from there on. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Well almost done with the right wing, once its done ill start my covering process. Hahhaaaaa not looking forward to that part but least its almost done from there on.

Here is what I did on them tails so I had a spot to glue fabric to. Not necessary but an easy option if your interested.

100_0910.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hahahaaa thats funny cause i have enough of those built to do both wings, just trying to decide if want to put them on.  Ive copied all ur other idea's so far, and adding a few of my own.  And y i installed an extra capstip about mid-wing, (building those pieces today from the cardboard patteren) least they will unbolt and can reinstall drooptips if that is decided is best. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
Add pic
1 person likes this

Posted

Ok got the mid fences build and one mounted on wing, not sure how they will work, guess they look cool at moment,  hahaaaa 

opinions r welcome,  I would like to hear others thoughts on the mid fences and wingtip fences. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

Ok think im already to start covering the wings, got myself caught up on other stuff so b able to stay on the wings for a bit. And made some nice wing workstand/rotators. Ill get started in morning c how far i get, my helper is ready to watch at least. Hahahaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Well got them covered, couple days work so far, tomorrow ill do the undercamber wing work per instructions, do first heat shrink, then start renforcing tapes and sewing. Yahoo!!!! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Nice job. No wing tanks on this bird?

Posted (edited)

Thanks jackak,  no wingtanks now, still has the cowltank, originaly had one in right wing, aluminum 6gallon, dont have to tell u y it got pulled. Im thinking football wingtanks that can b used or removed depending on the need for fuel. 

This bird is just my playtoy "sand bar hopper" like my harley "bar hopper" but for fishing, light, safe, reliable, minimal stuff to keep it light,  Ive weighed just about every part ive installed so can c if can cut down the weight to my likeing, the completed fuseloge with 1 gallon of gas is now 399.6lbs, will c how much weight the wings add b4 long. 

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Sounds like you're going to have a light one! Randy and Leni have had good results using the football tanks,they don't weigh much if empty either.

Jack

Posted (edited)

Yea Leni is where the idea came from. Hahhaaaa 

Well got the first shrink to 250 on the wings, ready for renforceing tape and mayb some sewing tomorrow.  About 20hrs so far. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Figured out the chalklines on the wings and One wing sewn up, one to go, mayb get lucky enough to sew other wing and do some poly brush tomorrow.  "Extra Hand" cart?  hahahhaaaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Ok ive got almost all the finish tapes done,  just false ribs, leading and trailing edges left, looks damm good to me,  still stinks like hell!!!  Mayb last time i use poly-fiber, forgot how i hate the smell of it and paint solivents, WOW!!! or mayb i just liked the Oratex to much, hahahaaa guess that y i stopped paintin so many cars.  Thinking ill Start up the mine on Monday for the summer season so hope to get wings ready for silver by tomorrow night. 

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Ok now im done with polybrush, hope that today i can finish them thro polyspray/silver. Im very happy with results so fari think they look great, just not happy about the amount of time it takes and the stink. But is what it is.  Hahahahaaaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

Ok now im done thro silver, all thats left is to make them the color i want, what a long day yesturday,  total of 61hrs in the covering so far,  i sure glad to b going to start work today, finally time get a break!!!  Hahahhaaaaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yahoo i made them white lastnight!!! Needs blue strip down the leading edge and they b done,  cant decide for sure but i think ill put blue leading edge on later this summer.  Have 67 hrs in them, $793.02 for supplies, used 1qt of polytak, 2gallons of polybrush, 1gallon plus 1qt of polyspray,  and 1gallon plus 1qt of insignia white polytone.

If my calculations r correct the wings should weigh 21.5lbs each X 2= 43lbs, add that to an already 399.6lbs complete fuseloge, mayb a light bird, will know for sure when all assembiled. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop

Posted (edited)

Couldnt stand it so doing the rest of the color scheme on the wings, not to mention it started snowing again and got windy. Hahhaaaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Installed the wings today all looking good so far,  have end plates and flaperons to paint and install then some adjustments. Sure Nice to C the wings painted and installed.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Looks nice!  Keep at it.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Way to nice to use better keep that one inside. ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Jim,TJay, Yea it sure turned out clean and shinny, cant wait to get it muddy and get some willow streaks on the bottom of  them white wings!!! Hahahaaa  :lmao:

2 people like this