Kitfox 1 questions

312 posts in this topic

Posted

That "Fox Tail" logo really impressed me - He has both talent and imagination - Maybe should major in Graphics Design?  Wish him success!  EDMO

Posted

Well did a little more work on the Bluefox, still a few parts to install b4 i can start her up for first run.  But thought was time to get it outside and let the sun on her back. Hahahaaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

looks great Mr. Keep plugging along

Posted

Well friends my BlackFox #0021 flys again!! Thanks to Leni, many many many thanks!!! He took her for a loop aroumd the valley and then took me for a ride the first day, and im definetly hook now!!!! THANKS LENI!!!!

IMG_8081.mp4

IMG_8084.mp4

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Like two sardines in a can. :lmao: But having fun!  Glad it's working out for you.  JImChuk

Posted

Well i tried to put a two short videos on with those pic but guess it not work, hahahhaaaaa should to figure that out. Mmmmmmmm

Thanks Jim was an awesome day, and is cramped but to much fun so u forget all about that, then we took it for another short spin a few days later while Leni was still here playin in the dirt with me.  Hahhaaa

IMG_8084.mp4

Posted

Yeeaahh nice work boys.  Keep the dirty side down.

Posted

Terrain ahead. Pull up!  Pull up!  Just curious does Leni always fly sideways????  :lmao:JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

You guys are definitely good for one's motivation!   As long as there are groups like this, older Avids and 'Foxes' will still be flying off into the sunset. I tip my hat to you!

3 people like this

Posted

Terrain ahead. Pull up!  Pull up!  Just curious does Leni always fly sideways????  :lmao:JImChuk

:lol:  only when I dont fly upside down.  The runway at the mine has a slight dog leg in it depending on which one you decide to use.  I forgot how much fun the early light birds are to fly!  

Posted

Well minning season is pretty well over here for the yr. down to pay after diggin the 70ft deep hole, but by time i run it this yr it probably end up freezin into the slucie box for winter.  So back to work on the Bluefox for a bit, Started recovering the tail peices and one half done in left over Oratex 6000 scrapes from recoverin dads PA12. Hahahhaaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Well got the elevator all covered and ready to put backon.  Going to pickup some flatstock now and make a solid mount for bottom of windsheild so will have support, i really like the cowl comin off from prop to windsheild, my Blackfox doesnt do that. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking good mr.  Can't wait to get back up there and play again!!  Next time we will do a lot more flying.  I can play in the dirt at night with lights if I have to  :lol:

Keep at it and you will have a fleet of em to fly soon!

:BC:

Posted

Well buddy ur always welcome here, (but u know that) was a blast when u where here, and heck thats the beautiful thing about living in the land of the midnight sun, u wont need lights, well i hope!!! Hahhaaaaaa  checkout the sunrise from the other day. 

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Well gettin somemore dont on #0038, covered rootribs, got lower windsheild mount done, and now installin the windsheild/greenhouse, lookin pretty good so far with not havin much of a patteren to work from hahahaaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Some butle seal tape under the lexan and some rivits onto the new lower windsheild mount. Back to it tomorrow. 

image.jpg

Posted

Well muffler heat done, windsheild done, turtledeck done, guess next is the doors, and lots of fabric repair, then get to start  on the wings, Yahoo!!!!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Well the fuseloge is done for now, still a few small things to tackel but had to moveon to workin on a friends Mercedes, she lost control of it and ended up in ghe ditch on the slick roads. Once get the fromtend fixed and backon ill start on the rebuild of the wings, mayb by this summer it will b a flyer again. Should b a light little hotrod for gettin out fishin i hope (least best it can b for the plane it is) hahahaaaaa oh forgot to show the orange stripes with the lights of.  I like the reflective pinstripe tape 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Well now onto the wings,  i have 2left wings and the left needs the most work so ill tackle it first.  Thinking id like to have a 6gallon aluminum tank in the left wing like the right one has.  Thats how my Blackfox is setup one in each wing plus the cowl tank.  And think ill make the droop tips bolt/screw on also like the blackfox is nice for access into the end of the wing if ever needed  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Aluminum wing tanks are likely to crack and leak on you.  Many have tried, few have succeeded.  YMMV  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Aluminum wing tanks are likely to crack and leak on you.  Many have tried, few have succeeded.  YMMV  JImChuk

I was not going to say that... again.. :lol:  If you only want a 6 gallon tank get a poly tank from ridgerunner..  Or put the football tanks on with quick disconnects for those time you want more range.  Don't bother with aluminum tanks as they have proven in the past to crack.. A lot.  The fact that the new Avid company is bringing back aluminum tanks blows me away.  I thought that the difference between man and animal was the ability to learn from others mistakes and experiences.  :dunno:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

My 6 gal alum tank has been in the wing 28 years and hasn't leaked yet. It has been sloshed, though. But what maybe is different is that it is not solid between the wing spars. It kinda floats sandwiched between the plywood skins and the ribs. Its captured pretty good, but still can move a smidgen when the wing would flex. I installed the poly tank in the other wing using the same method. A solid mounted tank, I can see it bending and twisting enough to cause a leak or crack and even the 13 gal tank would be more likely to twist due to the size. Maybe a run of bad tanks, bad welds, etc. Of course it could start leaking tomorrow, but as of now all is good. As I have read they do tend to spring a leak so I got an extra poly tank just in case. Even in my old Stinson 108-1, it finally started leaking due to flexing (it was solid mounted) and it was a steel tank. I have noticed that the poly tanks expand and contract due to temps so I don't think they should be completely rigid mounted in the wing. Even the fittings will loosen up on occasion due to temps. Just a habit of anything made of poly.

Posted

Well my plan was to install the tank into the wing like they mounted on dads PA12. That way the tank not hard mounted to the wing like in the build paperwork. No wonder they cracked rivited/glued to the aluminum spar.  I think they need capture but also need to float a bit so the wing can flex without screwin up the tank.  Not to mention the nice access u have to the tank thro the top cover for inspection/removal.  Wont the fiberglass tank eventually leak rivited/glued to the wing also over many yrs? This just my opinion.  Those aluminum tanks been in use a longtime on other aircraft so something must work right, and also being an old car/harley builder ive always sloshed the tank with sealant.  

Posted

the tank is a structural part of the wing.  A cub still has drag braces etc, completely different spars and different stress scenario.  There are also MANY instances of the slosh coming loose and blocking off fuel flow on these.  Yall are welcome to do what ever you want with the planes as they are indeed experimental and its your ass that's riding in them.  Just remember when the engine quits you cant just pull over to the side of the road and fix it.  It normally happens at a critical time when your pulling the most fuel.  Take off and climb out.  If you don't mind taking the lawn dart ride then go ahead and stack the deck against yourself..

Posted

Mine still has the drag braces installed. No question the poly tanks are better, every kit provider is pretty much using them if it is not an integral tank built with the wing. I've been in this game long enough to stack the deck in my favor.

1 person likes this