Kitfox 1 questions

312 posts in this topic

Posted

I used two tubes across the door on my challenger and used two pieces of lexan. Makes changing door glass easier and cheaper when you can do half of it when it gets scratched, and it will eventually.  It also makes it easier to fit the compound curve of the bowed out door with two pieces. A little care matching them up and the crack between them is very small. Or use a strip of rubber edging between the two.

Posted

I would guess that plexiglass is easier to mold then lexan.  I think perhaps the idea of the window being bigger then the door and going back 5 or 6" has some merit.  That would in effect widen out the fuselage where your arm would go without changing tubing or fabric.  You might gain an inch or so on each side.  Let the door get a rack in it to fit the window so it protrudes out on the bottom somewhat perhaps??  JImChuk

Posted

Ok guys, 0.80 thick lexan, two pieces one top one bottom, new piece 5/8 aluminum tube with bend for center bar, lexan needs no heat to make it fit, edges close as can in center, then a strip of aluminum rivited down over center to cover the outside of lexan, easy way to make little wider i gained 1 3/4" on each side at ur elbow when sittin in cockpit.  $18 bucks for tubing, $120 for a 4x8 sheet of lexan.  Think ive cn this update in the originl model 1 build paperwork also. 

Posted

Still have to install aluminum center strip, pic not the best but hope u can c. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Well didnt get much time to work on the doors today, but i did get a couple pieces cut and bent to rivit to middle of the door to cover where the upper and lower pieces of lexan meet. I also (while at Lowe's) picked up another roll of weatherstrip for sealing the doors to the fuseloge. I find one D shaped piece seals the doors up real nice for winter. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well right side is done, one side left. Hahahaaa.  Boy what a difference in room for ur arm,elbow, shoulder, when u sit in one side then the other. Looks like i did gain 1.75" per side,

Put that on the " one of those simple modifications u must do" 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
Add pic
1 person likes this

Posted

Nice work you will really like that. I sure do.

Posted

Well i did it, decided on the Bluefox to take off the standard matco brakes, nanco 21 tires, ect.  So could convert to 1.5" axles for puttin on cleveland brakes, 8.50x6 smooth tundra tires.  Good start i say so far here a pic. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Since i took the 21" nanco's and the matco brakes off the Bluefox and have skis on my Blackfox thought b good time for a tire size comparison. Tape on the tires tells size. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

Done with the clevland brake, 6" wheels, 1.5" axel swap over,  widened the tire track a little, this b super nice when i get some bush gear for it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ok since i think im ready to fit wings b4 i recover them, its cold out and suppose to b 15-20 above first of week, thought was time to do the dreaded work of changin my Qtr windows, looked on form and got some great ideas!!! THANKS TO ALL!!!! Now to cut the window out of the fabric where i think best. Hahahaaaaaa fell like im about to chop the top on one of the hotrods ive built. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Keep it up it looks good

Posted (edited)

Thanks TJay!!  Im sure hook, hahhaaaaa well had to haul water to the house and some other stuff so didnt get done with leftside yet,  just need to glue the fabric to lexan and then paint and rivit it all together.  Used tinted 1/8 lexan i had left over from the windows in the pa12 i did last yr. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted

Gonna have to do the same, mine are all yellowed from age!

Posted

Little off topic. On the nancos, I have 2 new ones. Do I need to run tubes or can they be set up tubeless and the old 8 inch wheel. 

Posted (edited)

I have a set of the Kingfox tires which are just like the Nancos.  I tried to run them without tubes, even put slime in them to keep from leaking.  Ended up going with tubes.  Maybe if you ran 20 lbs pressure they wouldn't leak, but the more pressure, the more bouncy they become.  8 or 10 is much better.  Although if you run to low pressure even with a tube, you may spin the wheel on the rim if you land on pavement and tear the valve stem off.  Ask me how I know.  :wacko:  The local tire shop had some black stuff they would use on aluminum rims that would seal the rim to tire joint somewhat, that may do the trick.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I run mine tubeless but I barley have 40 hrs on them so maybe thats not a good test and I think there set at 12psi

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ready to final install once paint dries, got lexan glued in and all my holes ready, going to rivit them and use backup washer on inside for the rivit. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Ok one side done, one to do, sure looks good i say.

Also i bought a sheetrock jack today so can mount the wings for trial fit b4 i cover them in fabric. I think with the jack i can mount the wings easy and safe plus do the sheetrock on the office ceiling in the shop.  Hahhaaaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

Better watch out your gonna run outta things to do on her.

Posted

Well TJay i think im at that point now on the fuse, i keep lookin around for things to do but not much luck yet. Course ill find something, but plan for tomorrow is fit wings to check everything b4 recovering them, ill have some to do then. Hahahahahaa 

1 person likes this

Posted

Well mounted the right wing yesturday, all went good, sheetrock jack is definetly the way to go!!!! For a one guy job. Tried to mount left wing and had some trouble, ill get it delt with mounted today.  

Sooooo the right has a aluminum wing tank with droop tip, left has NO tank and droop tip, and holy cow that tank is heavy, about as much as the droop tip, its going to the trash (in this bird) just cause of weight not to mention prone for leaks. 

Did a complete fuseloge weigh in without wings and with one gallon of gas, all other fluids full, i got 399.6lbs will loose about 12lbs when change to 8.50-6 4ply dessers. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

Well, all said and done, you will end up close to 500 lb.  My Kitfox 1 weighed 496.  Don't know how to get rid of a lot more weight in them either.  Lithium battery I suppose for 10 lbs or so.  I have almost bought a sheetrock lift when I've seen a used one on craigslist.  If I didn't have my homemade wing stands, I'm sure I would have.  I've installed wings by my self a number of times.  Scary if the wings are covered.  If the struts are on, you at least have more things to hang on to.  Definitely making progress though!  Keep at it.  JImChuk

Posted

Well, all said and done, you will end up close to 500 lb.  My Kitfox 1 weighed 496.  Don't know how to get rid of a lot more weight in them either.  Lithium battery I suppose for 10 lbs or so.  I have almost bought a sheetrock lift when I've seen a used one on craigslist.  If I didn't have my homemade wing stands, I'm sure I would have.  I've installed wings by my self a number of times.  Scary if the wings are covered.  If the struts are on, you at least have more things to hang on to.  Definitely making progress though!  Keep at it.  JImChuk

500lbs, Holy Cow!  If my model 2 is near that then I'll start over. I am shooting for 425-450 lbs. Whether I make it or not remains to be seen. But I've been wrong before.

Posted

I put the wing on the fuse then moved the sheetrock jack down past wingstrut mounts and then installed the struts, no room for the struts when u have to sheetrock jack under the middle of wing. But sure worked good. 

Boy i sure hope Bluefox is under 500lbs, or ill start again for a 3rd time, hahhaaaaa i was shootin for the 450lbs to 480lbs, this one b4 i installed a 582 was 431lbs,  my Blackfoxis 513lbs with 1 gallon gas and tires on it instead of skis.