Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Airdale - in business?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I have left messages, made calls....no luck.  I wanted to buy a set of wings and gear.  I have an avid Mark IV with speed wings and want extensions and/or a new set of wings.  I want to slow it down and increase its gross weight if possible. 

Anyone with suggestion or news about  airdale, please let me know. 

Posted

Some say you are SOL

Posted (edited)

I think a Kitfox Classic 4 1200GW wing kit is now about $5500.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

John, did you see the Kitfox speedster wings in Ct. that a guy listed on the other site?   Team Kitfox.  Not sure how much differences that would be, incidence is slightly different between the Kitfox and Avid wings.  Perhaps the flaperon location is slightly different as well.  I have Kitfox 4 and Avid MK IVs, but never compared all that.  Probably flaperon location difference wouldn't be that big a deal if you made a new turtle deck with the holes for the flaperons in it in the right location for the different wings.  Control rods might be a bit different as well.  ?????? lots of questions when you start changing all that stuff.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I have Kitfox 3 undercambered full-length wings that need recovering, with flaperons, droop tips, 12 gal tanks in each wing - hanger rib tails broken on one wing, but can be repaired before covering - struts too, but the struts would have to be modified to fit your fuselage attachment.  Open to offer - pick up in Missouri.  PM me if interested.  Where are you?   EDMO

Jim,  I think the Avid HH wing ribs are on 12" centers,  Kitfox ribs are about 18" centers, each maybe putting the flaperon hangers on about 36" centers - Check it out on yours - I don't have an Avid.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Brett is in OSH this week you will get nothing. 

I heard he took a job at the local airport so I'd say Airdale is done. 

Posted

That is a shame. It took him a long time to get my bush gear to me. But I will say when I noticed one of the caliper brackets was clocked wrong, he got it fixed pretty darn quick. I really appreciate that. Sometimes we take up too much and can't do it all. Been there done that. I pray he sells the jigs, etc to some one WILL make kits. I was interested in the new model. Oh well, guess I'll have to get a Carbon Cub. ;)

Posted (edited)

The last time AKflyer talked about it, one of the first 5 Airdales built was still sitting in Alaska for the last 20 years, with 1 hour of time, waiting for someone to pay $35K for it - I watched and helped a little with the building of it, and that sounded ridiculous at the time it was built, and until lately, when you start comparing it with $100K+ Experimental flying machines, it is starting to sound better - at least for those who still have a job.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO