Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Running AVGAS

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

One of the guys in our EAA Chapter would like to do some cross country flying and is using a 582.  The area will not have much, if any, access to mogas.  AVGAS will be primary fuel source.

He has concerns over excessive carbon buildup and lead deposits etc.  Do any of you run AVGAS on a regular basis in your two strokes and what have you realized as far as performance and carbon issues? 

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

I use Avgas almost exclusively, but I use TCP to keep most of the lead from 'sticking'.  Seems to work ok, but is an extra expense.

Mark

Posted

I flew across the country, and agree that only off airport can you buy mogas. I have a 582 Blue Head, and I installed the Hacman leaning system that was great. It allowed max power at altitude without changing any jets, and it also kept the plugs pretty clean since the fuel mixture can be significantly leaned. If you decide to spring for the Hacman, Joey and I can give you advice on installation, it only takes about 1 hour.

http://www.greenskyadventures.com/bing/home-current.htm

Posted

ZK KNZ ran avgas exclusively for the first 750 +hrs  with no problems other than a "rotten" exhaust.

i use avgas when on cross country , the only difference is a slightly lower EGT.

sounds like our avgas from 2018 will be lead free,what's happening in other parts of the world?

what is TCP?

Posted

As the 2 strokes dont have valves and the plugs are changed at 25 hours is it even a concern then?

Posted (edited)

ZK KNZ ran avgas exclusively for the first 750 +hrs  with no problems other than a "rotten" exhaust.

i use avgas when on cross country , the only difference is a slightly lower EGT.

sounds like our avgas from 2018 will be lead free,what's happening in other parts of the world?

what is TCP?

I think TCP is the same as Decalin (maybe not spelled right?) also sold by Spruce and others.  But you need to ask a Chemist about that.  They change lead in Avgas to a different chemical at the time of combustion, and leaves a gray-white coating on valves and exhaust and stops the lead buildup in sparkplugs and in deposits in engine oil in 4-strokes.  The mix for Decalin is about 1/2 ounce to 10 gallon of gas, so the cost is minimum and you can carry a pint with you to mix with gas you buy.   100LL has 4 times as much lead in it as the old 87 Avgas, so that is where the leading problems started.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The lead scavenger used on the 2 strokes is to keep the lead from loading up and plating the bearings.  Lead build up on bearings will ruin your day.

You would be amazed at the crap that can build up on those plugs in 25 hrs especially if your running just a tad rich.

:BC: