Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New owner of an old Avid Flyer A

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

Getting back into aviation after a 13 year long respite.  I was an A&P working for Northwest Airlines in 2003 when I got a layoff notice my  Decathlon 8KCAB had to go... always wanted another airplane that was more affordable.

I always thought the Kitfox or Avid would be a great aircraft and the folding wings were just the ticket to save on hanger fees of $150-200 a month. I bought a Kitfox with trailer off ebay four years ago up in ND and upon arriving found out there was no Airworthiness Certificate. Sale canceled!

Well the search is over, "for the time being". Two days ago I picked up an Avid Flyer model A out of KC, MO. The plane was last flown in June of this year. It's a well built Avid that has been poorly maintained for about 13 years. The list of repairs is growing and I haven't started the inspection yet. The only documents I received were the logbooks so I have more maintenance questions than answers. Looks like this forum will be a great asset. 

So I picked the aircraft up on Thursday down in Kansas City at a small farm strip and half the  airport showed up to help out with the sale. What a great group of pilots. If it wasn't so HOT I would want to move down there and build a hanger. The Avid had been owned by four different pilots throughout the years at that grass strip. Some flew it alot and some not at all.

We loaded the Avid on the trailer tail first with the wings level. Padded it and tied it down well. Tied down the stick to keep the elevator level with the airflow.

The trip home to Minnesota was interesting because there was a huge supercell thunderstorm passing through Iowa. My timing was right because I threaded the needle through a short break in the weather. The other problem came around 300 miles of the 400 mile trip.

It was a very dark night and I was trying to keep an eye on the Avid with the mirrors when I noticed the r/h elevator was flopped down. Oh no, time to pull over! Damn, the tube cracked and split at the elevator control horn weld. I bent it back, supported both sides and was back on my way home.  I'm thinking I may have been lucky that it happened on the trailer and not in the air!

I was excited to fly it right away but I am now planning on doing a thorough Condition Inspection. Time to dust off the O/A welder and brush up on my fabric repair skills. This Avid should be a great  aircraft when I'm done. 

I'm thinking about strengthening the elevator horn area so this doesn't happen again. I can't believe how thin walled that tubing is! 

One more thing... are there any Kitfox/Avid owners in the Twin Cities in Minnesota?  I would like to go for a ride first before taking my Avid up solo. I just took my BFR in a CC Sport Cub yesterday and it was great getting back in the air . It felt like I just flew last week but it's been three years. I got the bug again!

Happy flying guys, 

Brooks

20160805_120653.jpg

Edited by MnAvidFlyer
2 people like this

Posted

I sold my first Avid to a guy in the Twin Cities area.  Maybe he will contact you.  I think he is on this group.  He keeps the plane at Flying Cloud airport I think.  Avids are nice planes, very light on the controls, plenty of adverse yaw, but not a problem if you know how to use your feet. (and believe the ball, and step on it accordingly)  Looks nice!  Jim Chuk

Posted

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to Avid Fox Flyers. We are a pretty laid back group and there is a ton of knowledge here. Bandit has an Avid in Minnesota. Before you trailer again make yourself a set of carpet covered 2x4s for gust locks. I just use a big eye bolt with wing nuts to sandwich the boards on the elevator and rudder. Take a really good look at your flaperon attach points for any rot. They attach to the rib tails. Also if it's been sitting around for any period of time I would go through the entire fuel system. BearPerkins.com sells a spring tune up kit for cheap that comes with everything you would need. There's a write up I did in the tech section here on how to rebuild a Bing carb. Always happy to hear about someone getting back into flying. Congrats and again welcome to the forum. 

Posted (edited)

Some elevators cracked where the rear curved tube connects to the front (pivot) tube, Kitfox had a SB on that years ago, and it was strengthened by adding small triangles on each side of the weld.  Also, there should be about 1/2" difference in height of trailing edge of elevator on one side - forget which side - just some insurance against flutter.  

I always used 1/2" x 4" wide plywood covered with carpet for gust locks - much lighter than 2x4 boards - you can leave one end loosely bolted together and bolt the other end after installing.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I made some gust locks on the side of the highway in the dark around 10 pm that night from the supplies I brought with me. One set was some hanger rods with a foam swim noodle covering and the other set was a couple cardboard tubes taped together. I'll have to work on a better set as suggested. Thanks

I truly appreciate all the info given by you guys because I am on a steep learning curve to get this airplane up in the air. This airplane has had some interesting maintenance done over the years...

I have alot of experience working on 2 stroke snowmobile engines, mostly Polaris, and felt that this Rotax 582 ran like crap...when it would finally even start. I pulled the air filter to check the carbs and saw they were 3/16" out of sink. No wonder it wouldn't start! Thanks for the parts info C5, I will be overhauling the fuel system completely.  I need new choke and carb cables and will be going through the carbs. I adjusted the sink on the round slides and now it runs smooth down to 2200rpm. Still needs some work...can't believe it was flown this June.

Brooks

1470536524010.jpg

Posted

Gust locks are real important.  Especially when a semi passes you on the freeway.  I hauled a kitfox 4 up from Texas to northern Mn. a few years ago.  Quite an experience.  I would recommend that you really check over the rudder cables/elevator push rod and fittings.  Without gust locks the tailfeathers would bang back and forth pretty hard.  Better to find any possible damage there while you're still on the ground.   I emailed the guy I sold my first Avid to, he may get in touch with you.  Perhaps watch for a private message from him.  JImChuk

Posted

Congrats on the find and for getting back into flying again. Not unlike me - A&P, prior aircraft ownership and so on.  Your 2-"smoke' experience will prove invaluable.  I was apprehensive of the 582 but now that I'm accustomed to it and the proper care and feeding I like it a lot.