8 posts in this topic

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

That Avid is much easier to fold.

Posted (edited)

That Avid is much easier to fold.

Someone needs to make an Avid video - Maybe Kitfox can copy that too!  :lol: 

I put my lower nylon flaperon bearings on a hinge - they swing down out of the way when wings are being folded.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The Kitfox 4 bearings are mounted on a hinge so they can flop out of the way.  On the Kitfox 1, you don't have to unhook the flaperon push rods.  I thought it was just with the Kitfox 4 and later that they needed to be disconnected.  The early Kitfoxes were a copy of the Avid to begin with.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The Kitfox 4 bearings are mounted on a hinge so they can flop out of the way.  On the Kitfox 1, you don't have to unhook the flaperon push rods.  I thought it was just with the Kitfox 4 and later that they needed to be disconnected.  The early Kitfoxes were a copy of the Avid to begin with.  JImChuk

I think you are correct on all counts - that may be an early KF4 that Crazed Pilot has - Maybe the hinges came with the Classic 4 ? ???   I didn't look at the flaperons too close to see if they were flat-bottomed.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

He said it was a Kitfox 3, looked like older flapeons to me.  Also, didn't look flat on the bottom of the wings.  If the flaperon horns were installed so they ended up closer to the center of the plane than need be, that would cause the control rods to bend over the back of the seat when the wings are folded.  (on an Avid anyway)   Maybe they are supposed to be like that on the Kitfox 3, I don't know.  I couldn't remember if my Kitfox 1 had to be unhooked, and so I looked at pictures I took when I brought it home.  They were not unhooked.   JImChuk

Posted

My guess is that he a a differential control system in his like the model 4 uses,

Posted (edited)

Maybe someone should make a video of the Avids - Early Kitfoxes:  Remove TD, Pull front pin, swing wings, attach braces.   Too Simple?   I just posted Crazed Pilot's video because of the comment about "not seeing any hinges" and to show how they pivot to those who had never seen the wings being folded.  I didn't have sound on when I ran it - TJay is probably correct that it was a Kitfox 3, maybe with differential controls like Kitfox 4.   Kitfox 1, 2, 3, like the Avids, should not have to disconnect the controls when folding.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO