Heater

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I am installing a hot water cabin heater in the Avid.  The heater core that I found is from NAPA 660-3001 aluminum and weighs about a pound . the fan is a 140mm computer fan.  I built a fiberglass shroud for the heater core that the fan will mount to and an aluminum frame to hold it all under the panel.  Looks like I will have about $60.00 USD in it by the time I buy the hoses and tees.

heater core.JPG

Posted

Nice!  Whats the application of the heater core?

Posted

1975 ford F 150.

Posted

My only gripe with a radiator heater is this.  If it's fairly cold out, the engine isn't making a lot of extra heat.  Water temps won't be real high then.  Might have to turn the heater off to let the engine warm up.   That said, I've only made and used muffler shrouds for heat in my planes.  They did work well,  "except"  with the Jabiru, I had a cowl flap that I could close if the oil temps weren't as high as I would like to see.  When I did that, I lost some cowl pressure that forced air though the muffler shroud.  If it was pretty cold out, the engine oil got the heat and I didn't.  I could have put in some fresh air through a NACA vent or something like that, maybe when I finish the rebuild I will.  Usually though down to 15 or 20 F I was plenty warm.   Of course then with the muffler shroud, you have to worry about exhaust leaking in and putting you to sleep or something.   JImChuk

Posted

Get some old valves from an older rig that had cables from the heater controls on the dash to the heater core.  Napa or any auto parts store should have them.  that way if you need to you can shut the water off going to the heater to get the engine warmed up. I had 2 of them that the previous owner had in my plane but I'm not sure what I did with them.  I also run a 160 degree thermostat in mine and that runs mine way better than the Rotax 120 ° thermostat. 

:BC: 

Posted

I have the shroud style heat on my Jabiru that works pretty good with just a small 5" shroud on one of the exhaust pipes   The air is piped over the cooling fins of the pan from the outside and then goes to the shroud or is dumped outside when not used.  I had hope to get some oil cooling but it really did not help with that on the 3300.  Now on the Avid it has been a different story.  I have a nice shroud that came with the kit that fits over most of the muffler and a scoop that also came with the kit that was designed to collect warm air from behind the radiator but that did not work for me.  Next I built a scoop that used one of the inlets on the cowl to collect the air and even added a shroud on one of the pipes to heat the air even more before it went to the muffler shroud and still no heat that I could feel.  At that point I just gave up on that system, I am sure that there must be a way to make it work but just got tired of fooling with it. A friend of mine bought Larry's plane and with the heater core style, that plane at least has some heat.  Maybe Larry will comment on how well it works in the winter.

i don't think that it has any valves in the heater lines so I am planning try it without the valves to start with and see how it goes. I will up date this post when I have some more data.

Posted (edited)

I have a new, gold-colored steel heater valve - I just removed one from a Kitfox 3 - 582 and it has rust in it:  Is there a problem using the steel with the anti-freeze that is used for aluminum?  I don't know if the owner used AF or plain water.  Do they make these valves in aluminum?  What about copper or copper coated?  Nickel-plated?   Plastic?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Paul, that system works great in Ol Yeller.  I copied it in the Mangy because it worked so well.  The mangy has the addition of a coolant thermostat and a radiator flap but still no valves in the system.  They really aren't needed.  Unless the fans are running the radiated heat off the core is not noticeable in the summer.  In winter it was comfortable to fly down to the single digits.  Lower if you have really good warm clothes.  

Now to get the Mangy's doors to seal up as well as Yeller and I will be real happy. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree. ive put  a valve in mine but never have turned it off in three summers

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well the heater is installed but I haven't tried it as o yet.  I did end up going with a larger fan (305 cfm) and some y's that were found at Universal Products Inc.

heater fan.JPG

Edited by wypaul
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The heater works great, well almost.  Gobs of heat to be sure but... Taxied out this morning and when I called Ground no reply, Tower nothing.  Back at the hanger took the cowl off thinking some wire was causing the problem.  Antenna connection was good.  Tried the radio again and yep it's working flipped the heater switch on and everything is ok but when I turned the heater off the radio stopped.  So I deduced that there must be a large back EMF when the fan shutdown.  When I cycled the master the radio was working again.  It is fixed now with a diode across the fan leads  to sink the back emf back thru the motor.  Once again small change with a big consequence. the radio is a MGL V6 so this may not be a problem with other radios but I suspect that it would.

The diode which I had in my electronics parts is a 1N4001 about a 30 cent fix.

Edited by wypaul

Posted

Last update, installed 3 speed fan switch and it works great.  Bring on the cold weather.

Posted

Remember what you just said when it's 35 below!  It'll be here before we know it ;-0  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I've got some NOS liquid Danhard heater/defrosters that WILL keep you warm and the windshield clear - If you don't mind adding 13 lbs and spending $200.   I think the new ones are close to $400 now?  I don't remember how many BTUs they were, but seems like 25K (maybe 35K?) and 250 CFM....?   You might not need your radiator in the winter! 

Well, that's with a 4 cylinder 4-stroker - Donno about a 2-smoke - you got to have enough hot water!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You are right of course, even though I like winter I am not in a hurry for it to be here yet. Last March. 

image.jpeg

Posted

Hey Ed I'm hoping that the setup I have is going to do the job with my 912. I don't know where I could put something that big.

Posted (edited)

Hey Ed I'm hoping that the setup I have is going to do the job with my 912. I don't know where I could put something that big.

I've got plenty of space behind the IP, where the nose tank used to go - I fits at a downward angle.   It has defroster hoses that go to little plastic vents in top of glaresheild.  This one is similar, but not same, as mine.   I think it is only about 13 or 15 inches wide.  EDMO

Mounted Heater (Danhard) 01412

Edited by EDMO