Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hard starting 503

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Still fighting my hard starting 503. Tonight I took a plug out to see if I had spark. Nothing. Started to dig into my wiring. This is what I found. The wires were worn through the coating and the powder coat was worn off of the cooling shroud. I pulled the wires off the shroud then I had spark. Going to try to test the electrical system with a ohms meter as long as I have everything open. Does anybody know how to do that? I think this is my problem though. Where can I get a new plug to splice in?

IMAG1086.jpg

Posted

Good chance that was your issue all along. Fix that and replace your wires like we talked about and let us know what it does.

Posted

If the copper looks good yet you can probably just wrap them with black tape. Just use the good stuff like super 33 or super 88

Posted

I'll have to replace the plug end. The green wire is 75% worn through.

Posted

Here's the Mike Strattman article on how to ohm the ignition.  http://www.cps-parts.com/cps/pdf/Part58.pdf

Note that there are different values for the old versus new style pick up triggers.  He gives the engine serial numbers to check to see which you have.

The wire plug ends seem to only be available with the coil and cost about $350.  You might check at auto parts store for a similar two wire polarized plug that is used for car tail lights.  I have one I used to hook up my heated vest.  The wires on it look smaller than the green and white ignition wires though.  Maybe there is a heavier one available.

Posted

Bandit,  Is there anything on my old 532 that would work for you?  EDMO

Posted

I once made up a jumper/extention wire that plugged into that 2 prong plug.  When I had a 582 gone through, the mechanic ran both sets of wire the same way and so both of the sets of ignition wires coming out of the engine were the same length.  Normally one set is about 4" longer than the other.  I extended the one set of wires to reach the plug.  Used single crimp on bullet connections that fit the dual plug ends.  Worked fine.  Hope what I wrote just made sense.  It did to me, but I already knew what I'm talking about.  What I'm saying is you don't really need both halves of the 2 prong plug to make the connection.  JImChuk 

1 person likes this

Posted

I found a connection at Napa that worked. Tried starting it. It never even fired! I tried folowing the CPS ohms test but could not figure it out. I'm going to check u-tube to see if that can guide me through. Would that short have fried somthing inside ?