Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AVID STRUT LOCATION?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have the measurement for the strut attatch fitting from spar root?   Are all models A - IV, except Magnum and Cat, the same measurement?  Just asking because Kitfox moved their attachment about 10 inches farther out starting with Model 3, from about 86" to 96",  but the Kitfox has longer wings.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I'm not sure why kitfox did that, My best guess would be to make it easier for builders, it is kind a pain to cut the wood rib to fit around the strut attachment, by moving it out it places  the strut attachment point is between two ribs, or maybe because it looks better,

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure why kitfox did that, My best guess would be to make it easier for builders, it is kind a pain to cut the wood rib to fit around the strut attachment, by moving it out it places  the strut attachment point is between two ribs, or maybe because it looks better,

TJay,  I think that Kitfox moved the strut farther out because some engineer (like Hollman) decided that to up the GW the support had to be moved farther out - The part of the wings from fuselage to strut supports about 3/4 of the weight of the plane - that is just my theory.   Remember that Denny just mostly-copied the shorter-winged, Dean Wilson designed, Avid for the design of the Kitfox 1.   I have talked to that engineer and he said he made some changes to the original Kitfox design.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

TJay,  I think that Kitfox moved the strut farther out because some engineer (like Hollman) decided that to up the GW the support had to be moved farther out - The part of the wing from fuselage to strut supports about 3/4 of the weight of the plane - that is just my theory.   Remember that Denny just copied the shorter-winged, Dean Wilson designed, Avid for the design of the Kitfox 1.   I have talked to that engineer and he said he made some changes to the original Kitfox design.  EDMO

I wondered about that also, but then I think of the Maule M-6 they only have a 7' long wing strut on a 32 foot wing with a 2500lbs gross weight, I'm diffidently not saying your wrong but just something to think about, Maybe it has to do with the tube spars, and the weights we fly at,

Posted

TJay,  I think that Kitfox moved the strut farther out because some engineer (like Hollman) decided that to up the GW the support had to be moved farther out - The part of the wing from fuselage to strut supports about 3/4 of the weight of the plane - that is just my theory.   Remember that Denny just copied the shorter-winged, Dean Wilson designed, Avid for the design of the Kitfox 1.   I have talked to that engineer and he said he made some changes to the original Kitfox design.  EDMO

I wondered about that also, but then I think of the Maule M-6 they only have a 7' long wing strut on a 32 foot wing with a 2500lbs gross weight, I'm diffidently not saying your wrong but just something to think about, Maybe it has to do with the tube spars, and the weights we fly at,

I had a Maule M4C - IMO, Maule copied the Piper PA-20 Pacer, but built the wings with "stressed aluminum skin" and some changes to the tail.  Since I am not an engineer, I can only go by what I hear from others.   EDMO

Posted (edited)

I meant to measure an Avid wing today, but never got to it. Just now I though about the Avid build manual that is 3' from me and said "why don't I just look there"  Anyway, I did and  the dimension you asked for is 80" to center of strut bolt hole.  This was for a MK IV manual, but I think they are all the same.   JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I meant to measure an Avid wing today, but never got to it. Just now I though about the Avid build manual that is 3' from me and said "why don't I just look there"  Anyway, I did and  the dimension you asked for is 80" to center of strut bolt hole.  This was for a MK IV manual, but I think they are all the same.   JImChuk

So - if Avid can fly at 1150 / 1200 GW with the strut at 80", then a Kitfox should do the same at about 86" - Thanks Jim.   EDMO