Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Engine Swap

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Got my bird back out out the hangar and the engine started. It seems to run much smoother and quieter than my old one. The blue head comes up to temp much faster with the bypass hose upgrade. I was at 140 degrees in 4 minutes it used to take twice that to warm up. I didn't run it to power as I just had it sitting in the hangar because of bad weather. So far I was right my old needle tach reads about 500 rpm higher than the tiny tach was reading. Glad I installed it. Going to do some full power runs tomorrow to make sure you prop pitch is still good and there are no leaks and then go fly it.

Posted

Do you have to do the hour breakin for the engine ?

Posted

Do you have to do the hour breakin for the engine ?

No the guy I bought it from broke it in on the bench for me. It should be ready to run. Hey Bandit was that your plane in the new Avid calendar??

Posted

Got my bird back out out the hangar and the engine started. It seems to run much smoother and quieter than my old one. The blue head comes up to temp much faster with the bypass hose upgrade. I was at 140 degrees in 4 minutes it used to take twice that to warm up. I didn't run it to power as I just had it sitting in the hangar because of bad weather. So far I was right my old needle tach reads about 500 rpm higher than the tiny tach was reading. Glad I installed it. Going to do some full power runs tomorrow to make sure you prop pitch is still good and there are no leaks and then go fly it.

That reading is alot closer than the others I have seen. Mine was about 1500 RPM off on the top end, but bottom end it was pretty damn close.

No the guy I bought it from broke it in on the bench for me. It should be ready to run. Hey Bandit was that your plane in the new Avid calendar??

Cool, it is a bit boring sitting on the ground for an hour with a stop watch and clip board, timing and writing numbers.

:BC:

Posted

I did some full power runs today. I had to add a couple of degrees of pitch to the prop. I am having issues with my tiny tach. Up to about 3500 rpm it almost matches the tach in my plane. When I am turning 6400 or so on the tach in the plane the Tiny Tach is only reading 5600 rpm. There is no way the engine is only turning 5600..that's not even on the pipe hardly yet and the engine is way past that. I'm believing the tach in panel at this point. I installed the Tiny Tach per the instructions. I tried both mags and they were identical. The only thing I can think of is the ground is not quite right. Any other ideas??

I finally got everything dialed in and was finshing up the last three fasteners on the bottom of the cowl when I realized that the bypass hose is going to interfere with the cowling. I'm going to have to get out the dremel and do some creative clearancing. I was pissed.. was a perfect evening to fly this evening. Almost just went without the cowl..lol :hammerhead:

Posted

When I installed my Tiny Tach I had a similar problem. I called the factory(?) importer(?) and was told to an additional length of wire where it was wound around the spark plug wire and wind the extra length around an additional spark plug wire. That solved the problem.

post-27-12597080140456_thumb.jpg

Posted

When I installed my Tiny Tach I had a similar problem. I called the factory(?) importer(?) and was told to an additional length of wire where it was wound around the spark plug wire and wind the extra length around an additional spark plug wire. That solved the problem.

I figured that might be the fix.. I already cut off the extra wire like the instructions said when I installed it.

Posted

I called them and also got a return email from them finally. They said the same thing... it's not reading the excess spark. I guess with the Ducati every other spark is a low spark. He said to just wrap more wraps or put it on both wires from a single coil. I guess it's no biggie to splice the red wire so I'm going to just solder the piece I cut off back on and try more wraps.

Posted

Yup, I made Mr. January. Glad to see you getting close to flying. Got mine flying again. Now I am fighting less daylight hours after work and bad weather. Hope for nice weekends now.