Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Exhaust pipe close to fiberglass cowling

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Fellas,

I have Cylinder #1 exhaust on my Lyc IO-360 coming straight down for about 3 1/2" then it bends inboard, but at the bend there is only about 1/2" of clearance from the bottom engine cowl.

The idea is to cover the inside of the bottom cowl with a reflective shield.

Do you have a good experience with a certain product?

Aircraft Spruce advertises some fancy Kevlar sheeting that can hold up in 3000 F temps, but they want mucho $ for it.

what do you guys suggest?

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

Ive had good luck with the automotive stuff from napa.used it on my amphib to protect the Dacron from the low slung 670 exhaust. but that is in more of a" free air " application .no cowl

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

There was an article on this in either Kitplanes mag or Sport Aviation a while back - you might be able to find it online.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I use raw fiberglass tape about 3-4" square should do it.  The stuff that I had was a little thicker, about an 1/8" and held in place with high temp RTV.  If you have some exhaust rap that will work or ACS sells a 2" wide tape for less than e buck per foot.  It's the resin that burns. Aluminum  Roof flashing works good if you want a shield with a gap between it and the cowl or on top of the fiberglass.  I do have some Kevlar cloth I could send you a small square but the edges would be rough that is why I use the fiberglass tape.  Message me with a mailing address if you want the Kevlar also I have some flashing I could cut you a square of that also.

Posted

Paul,

Thanks for the offer!  I posted this, but forgot to look back here!

I found some reflective material backed with some type of woven material, fiberglass, or Kevlar...it was only $15 for a 2'x3' piece.  It says it is good up to 2000 degrees.

I think I will wrap that front pipe too...I have some wrap left over from a jeep project that should do the trick!

Thanks for the help guys!

Ron

Posted (edited)

Well after examining the product I ordered, heat shield made by cool it, I discovered the continuous heat is only 400 F.  That isn't going to cut it.  So, I was watching the Velocity channel and Truck U came on.  They were working on one of the 1000cc side by sides.  They were making upgrades in the engine bay and suggested adding heat protection to some of the plastic parts.  They used Lava Shield.  It is made out of actual lava rock particles and can handle up to 1200 F continuously.  Here is the draw back...it cost $50 more than the Cool it product, but in my mind worth not having to worry about melting my fiberglass cowl while taxiing around.

You can find Lava Shield at Summit Racing.  The reviews said that it doesn't stick very well, so be prepared to use some heavy duty glue on it.  Actually it says in the product description that it sticks best to a finished surface, specifically not raw fiberglass.

Ron

Edited by RDavidson
1 person likes this

Posted

Well after examining the product I ordered, heat shield made by cool it, I discovered the continuous heat is only 400 F.  That isn't going to cut it.  So, I was watching the Velocity channel and Truck U came on.  They were working on one of the 1000cc side by sides.  They were making upgrades in the engine bay and suggested adding heat protection to some of the plastic parts.  They used Lava Shield.  It is made out of actual lava rock particles and can handle up to 1200 F continuously.  Here is the draw back...it cost $50 more than the Cool it product, but in my mind worth not having to worry about melting my fiberglass cowl while taxiing around.

You can find Lava Shield at Summit Racing.  The reviews said that it doesn't stick very well, so be prepared to use some heavy duty glue on it.  Actually it says in the product description that it sticks best to a finished surface, specifically not raw fiberglass.

Ron

Ron,  I think the article I read said to stick the heat shield to the cowl with High Temperature RTV.  ???   EDMO

Posted

So, after finishing the outside a few times now, you gotta do the inside too??! :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

You're not kidding!  And to make matters worse. I spent 3 hours masking my cowl, wiped everything down, started painting and realized the rag I used to wipe the cowl down must have had something on it!  The paint was rejected in places!!!!

so Sandy Sandy again...

Posted

Finally got around to putting the lava shield inside the bottom engine cowl.  The stuff is just like carbon fiber material but super thin, like 1/16th of an inch.  I ended up just using a thin layer of contact cement, but I came back and read Ed's comment about high temp RTV and that would have been better...so if this rips off I'll go back with the RTV.

IMG_1310.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

Posted

Well, if it comes off and you melt FG, then that might be a good place for another air inlet or scoop?  EDMO

1 person likes this