Broken Flaperon mount?

31 posts in this topic

Posted

When one looks up piss poor in the dictionary a picture of this repair would be its definition. 

Whatever glue was used never even made it to the tip their were no fasteners of any kind used and it was only a couple inches long.  I'm sure it was just a bandaid to sell it.   Grrrrrrrrrr. 

The up side is there was no rot and structurally all looks well aside from this isolated damage.

Does anyone have any info on how the repair is made in England using the aluminum sandwich.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

I thought I had posted the Kitfox mandatory British modification to hanger ribs in Files and Forms, but just looked and cant find it.  I will look in my books tomorrow evening.  Doug Holly (A+) might have it in his library.   I think my .060 is stronger and I didn't bend or rivet to capstrips - just to rib and the repaired tail stopping just before trailing edge - You have two bolts to go thru the tail end of it.   EDMO 

Posted (edited)

Today I  used MEK and peeled back the tape then slit the fabric along the rib cap. 

i decided I couldn't to a good enough job with the wing on the plane so off it came. 

I had to cut the lower rib cap so I will put a wider one in to replace it so I have more area to tie the fabric back into  

in order to keep the tension on the trailing edge cable I needed to be able to run from the spar to the cable so I used one piece of plywood on the right side of the rib.  In order to replace the rib I had to slit it to the point of the cable then I put a short section on the left to tie in my splice.  I used scotch weld 2216 to bond it all together. 

Should be stronger than before  

thanks again Jim Chuk for the plywood  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by THE MACHINIST
Add info

Posted (edited)

I think the Kitfox aluminum trailing edge is much better, nicer, stiffer, than the wire, and better for gluing the fabric to. 

Glad you got it fixed.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Sorry I stumbled on this discussion late, for future benefit here is the Kitfox rib reinforcement procedure from Denney Aerocraft.

KF_Rib_Reinforcement.thumb.jpg.2c0814a3f

Posted

Thanks someone sent me a link to that.  I elected to use slightly wider plywood and double it

Today I fit a new wider rib cap to give more area to re-glue my fabric 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg