Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tailskid repair

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I need to repair or replace a broken tailskid. Can't find a local biz able to help. Any suggestions?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Here is a link to a guy who does fiberglass work.  Maybe he would build you one.  He used to build parts for Mini-Maxes and Hi-Maxes, probably still does.  I bought a fiberglass landing gear from him for my Himax.   I tried to get him interested in building a fiberglass gear for Avids and Kitfoxes.  If he had a plane to experiment on maybe he would have.  Anyway, contact him.  JImChuk

PS.  Can't you buy the part new from Aerotrek?

http://curedcomposites.com/

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Feather Lite makes fiberglass landing gear for Rutan aircraft (Long EZ, Cozy, etc).  You might try them.  No web site, but other contact information is:

1327 South State St., Airport,

Ukiah, CA 95482

Phone 707-462- 2939 Fx 462-3424 e-mail:

fthrlite@pacific.net

Larry Lombard Michael Dilley

Posted (edited)

I would have a steel spring made to match the old one by the company that someone has listed on here (WyPaul?)  Might weigh a little more, but not as much worry about breakage.   Steel one would probably be a lot thinner than FG.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

If it broke that much S Glass (assuming it is S Glass), either the metal spring would be bent seriously, or the tail would have bent.  Moving the failure somewhere else might be more expensive in the long run.

Mark

Posted (edited)

If it broke that much S Glass (assuming it is S Glass), either the metal spring would be bent seriously, or the tail would have bent.  Moving the failure somewhere else might be more expensive in the long run.

Mark

Mark,  I totally agree with what you are saying.  Perhaps I was not explicit enough concerning the thinner metal spring - It has to be a compromise - thin enough to spring with impact so you don't break the fuselage, but stiff enough to protect the rudder - Just look at the very thin tailskid that some Cessnas use, compared to the 1 to 3-leaf tailwheel springs of some Avids/Kitfoxes that don't usually break the fuselage when they bang the tailwheel down, with more weight on the tail than a tri-gear.  At least the metal spring can be reshaped and that is better than broken fiberglass IMO.   EDMO 

I was thinking about trying to use the aluminum tailspring that Grove makes for a tailskid - maybe with a steel extension....???  Robby could probably make one for you if you send him the old one for a pattern - Worth a call anyway - I know that he has made some "off-design" parts before.

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed! I bought that aluminum Kitfox V tail spring you pointed out on Flebay, does anyone know much about them, it only weighs about 5 lbs.

Posted (edited)

Al,  This spring is not listed in any of my old or new Grove catalogs - They were probably only sold to Skystar Aircraft for the Kitfox 5.  I have one.  I don't know if you can buy them from Grove, or have to get them from Kitfox.   I know that Robby Grove will make custom parts.  EDMO

Ed! I bought that aluminum Kitfox V tail spring you pointed out on Flebay, does anyone know much about them, it only weighs about 5 lbs.

Edited by EDMO