Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

proper way to stress relief welds

3 posts in this topic

Posted

does anybody here know to to perform this with a torch, I think if I read everything correctly it looks like you warm up the areas you weld to 900 to 1200 degrees and let them cool very slowly in still air, that is supposedly the way to stop a welded joint from cracking, am I right on this, it really doesn't sound to hard,

Posted

Got her done tonight took a while to heat it up with using only Map Gas. got it to the real dull color red which according to the color charts is 900 to 1000 degrees worked it all nice and evenly, then pulled the torch back and slowly took it away in steps, then quickly laid foil over it and wrapped the whole heated area in fiberglass insulation, very slow to cool. I feel good about the procedure, the tubes are 7/8 .049  should hold at 1050lbs

Posted (edited)

Got her done tonight took a while to heat it up with using only Map Gas. got it to the real dull color red which according to the color charts is 900 to 1000 degrees worked it all nice and evenly, then pulled the torch back and slowly took it away in steps, then quickly laid foil over it and wrapped the whole heated area in fiberglass insulation, very slow to cool. I feel good about the procedure, the tubes are 7/8 .049  should hold at 1050lbs

Sounds like a tiny overkill but should be good - main thing is no air blowing over reheat in summer temperatures - probably a good process for winter temps.  Kitfox didn't anneal and most tubes break within 1/4" or right at weld in a crash.  Jolly Good Show!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO