LED SHOP LIGHTS

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

These 4 foot LED lights are brighter than florescents, lots cheaper to run.  I bought the first at Costco for $30 then they went on sale and I got another for $20.  just plug the cord into an outlet - I really like them.   I have had problems with tube lights not working long when vertical - these work in any position.   EDMO

LED light.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

These 4 foot LED lights are brighter than florescents, lots cheaper to run.  I bought the first at Costco for $30 then they went on sale and I got another for $20.  just plug the cord into an outlet - I really like them.   I have had problems with tube lights not working long when vertical - these work in any position.   EDMO

LED light.JPG

I have always wanted to try those

Posted

They were just on sale again here too. I *almost* bit this time, half of the old fluorescent fixtures in my shop have bad ballasts. 

image.jpeg

Posted

I have a set as well and love the light and it doesnt have cold weather warm up issues.

Posted (edited)

I would note that there were 2 different versions of Feit 4' LED shop lights sold at Costco here. Item # 917972 is the previous model, and the word LED on the box is in green. Some Costcos clearance priced them as low as $18 at different locations, which is manager discretion so YMMV on finding those. The new model is advertised as 'linkable', ie. in addition to the power cord and plug it also has a 2-prong plug receptacle allowing you to daisy chain multiple lights. The word LED on the box is orange, and the entire housing design is different. I'm generally not a fan of Feit LED products but these get good reviews. I need 12 lights in the shop so hoping for one more price reduction...

4249227.attach.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

Dholly for the win.... I'm officially on the prowl for the orange LED boxes. 

Posted

Ha! I actually have these lights set as an alert on SlickDeals. If I wasn't off to AirVenture during the last sale, I probably would have bought some. Gotta be quick though, they literally fly off the shelves during the sales at my Costco. Sales come around every few months in my experience.

Posted

Don't fall to the trap of the led replacement fluorescent bulbs. They suck. Not as bright and about a 30% mortality rate. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Larry - couldn't agree more, LOTS of negative reviews for the LED 'replacement' tubes regarding lifespan and blowouts. Plus, some require electronic ballast only or even bypassing the florescent ballast altogether. No thanks.

FWIW, Menards has another 4' LED shop light option HERE for about the same price (includes all metal housing with 3-prong plug, but no pull chain or receptacle which I don't need). Lumens are slightly less, Kelvin slightly more.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the update Doug - As usual, you are keeping us aware of the details.  I didn't realize that the two lights were different, only that the box had changed.  Now I have one of each.  Costco here sold the newer, linkable, light cheaper than the old style.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just a 'heads up'... the new 689518 LED Shop Lights are going to be on sale this Monday at Costco. Valid Nov. 28 - Dec. 24, 2016

At $10 Instant Savings + additional 5% off w/ Chase Rewards this quarter, I think I'm going to limit out. :)

December Savings $10 OFF LIMIT 10

Feit Electric 4' LED Utility Shop Light

• Linkable - connect up to 4
  • Pull chain on/off
  • 3,700 Lumens
  • Hang or
  • flush mount
  • Simply plug in
  • 50,000-Hour life

Item 689518

http://www.costco.com/december-warehouse-coupon-offers.html

3 people like this

Posted

Goodbye dim flourescents - Hello bright, low wattage LEDs - Going to Costco Monday.   EDMO

Posted

I just joined Costco too. Guess I need to make a run as well. I'm renting a house that has a nice garage and a lot of lights but they are all florescent and half of them don't light up in the winter, about 1/4 of them don't in the summer. I'll put them up and take them with me when I move again. 

Thanks for the heads up!

Posted

Florescents  don't last if you mount them vertical and don't like cold - The power saved with the brighter LED lights will pay for them over time.  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Last week they had full pallets of LED shoplights at Costco - They went on sale yesterday - I went today and they were sold out - luckily, one nice guy there told me that there were more on a truck being unloaded - I waited a while, and they brought 3 of them to me.  I found out that you can get a rain-check to get them at the sale price if they are sold out.  Really crowded today and will get worse!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My thanks to Doug for the heads up. I picked up 6 of them to use in a new parts paint booth. (Maybe I won't have to take off my welding shade in order to paint now).  There wasn't any rush at my local warehouse.  I really like the light quality and lightweight fixture.

Posted

I would buy more than the 5 I have now, but 2 sets of wings hanging on one wall doesn't leave any room for lights, and I can't get to the ceiling because of 2 fuselages hanging there.  EDMO

Posted

I would buy more than the 5 I have now, but 2 sets of wings hanging on one wall doesn't leave any room for lights, and I can't get to the ceiling because of 2 fuselages hanging there.  EDMO

Just hang the lights on the bottom of the fuselages and call them chandeliers! :P

1 person likes this

Posted

Just hang the lights on the bottom of the fuselages and call them chandeliers! :P

Great Idea Mark - 1200 different brains working on this site, so someone will usually have the answer to any problem!  Thanks,  EDMO

Posted

I had new lights put in my garage. 4 8' T8s and they're pretty nice and bright. How bright are the LEDs?

My friend had some new lights put in his hanger... T5s... Holy cow. Looking into them... is almost looking at a welder's arc! And no problem with flicker or slow cold start up. -20 min start up. And they have a higher Hz rate hence the low or no flicker. They aren't exactly cheap, but I am considering for my new shop....

Posted (edited)

You can get different brightness / temperature FL bulbs, from 3000K Dim /cool white to 6000K Sunshine bright, but if I am right, each bulb is about 40 watts of power used - the LEDs draw about 1/10th of that power - That can make a huge difference in electric bills in a year of use.  The LED shop lights are 3700 Kelvins, but look brighter than that to me, and I think they are equal to the brighter FL bulbs.  They should last a lot longer too.  My vertical FL lights started to get dim in a couple of years and the bulbs had to be replaced as they soon quit.  The LEDs don't care how they are mounted or what the temperature is, and are instant starting.  At $20 each, one wont break the bank, and you can compare it to the FL.  I'm sure you can find a place to use one.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You can get different brightness / temperature FL bulbs, from 3000K Dim /cool white to 6000K Sunshine bright, but if I am right, each bulb is about 40 watts of power used - the LEDs draw about 1/10th of that power - That can make a huge difference in electric bills in a year of use.  The LED shop lights are 3700 Kelvins, but look brighter than that to me, and I think they are equal to the brighter FL bulbs.  They should last a lot longer too.  My vertical FL lights started to get dim in a couple of years and the bulbs had to be replaced as they soon quit.  The LEDs don't care how they are mounted or what the temperature is, and are instant starting.  At $20 each, one wont break the bank, and you can compare it to the FL.  I'm sure you can find a place to use one.  EDMO

Math isn't quite right Ed.  LED's might draw 1/10th of an incandescent, but they aren't really much more efficient than T5 flourescents.  The ones shown above are 3700 Lumens and draw 38 watts (4000Kelvin temp/color).  A T5 Flourescent bulb draws 54 watts and puts out 4800 Lumens (5000Kelvin temp/color), so the LED is only about 10% more efficient.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Math isn't quite right Ed.  LED's might draw 1/10th of an incandescent, but they aren't really much more efficient than T5 flourescents.  The ones shown above are 3700 Lumens and draw 38 watts (4000Kelvin temp/color).  A T5 Flourescent bulb draws 54 watts and puts out 4800 Lumens (5000Kelvin temp/color), so the LED is only about 10% more efficient.

Mark

Math majors at work?  T5 x 2 is 108 watts? - two 4' LEDs in one fixture draw 38 watts -  uses 1/3 the power?  ???  But, guessing the T5 bulbs are 8', then two LED fixtures would be 76 watts, or about 2/3 as much power used?

I donno, but as the price comes down I am replacing all of my CFL bulbs, probably as they burn out, in the house with LED bulbs.  Sure as heck beats the coal oil lamps that we had when I was young!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed,

No, the T5's are 4'.  Each Bulb puts out 4800 Lumens, the two LED's in the FEIT fixture combine for a total of 3700 Lumens - 1650 Lumens each if they are equal.

A 4 bulb T5 fixture will consume 216 watts, but put out 19,200 Lumens.  It would take 5 of the FEIT fixtures to put out 18,500 Lumens, consuming 190 Watts in the process.  Lumen is a measure of how much light is produced, Kelvin is a measure of the color or 'temperature' of the light produced.  The higher the Kelvin value, the whiter/bluer the light is.

LED's always advertise their efficiency compared to incandescent bulbs, and compared to them they are WAY more efficient - a 60 watt equivalent uses about 10 watts, so 600% more efficient.  Compared to T5 flourescents, they are only 10% more efficient.  They do have a longer expected life, so not changing bulbs is a plus, although T5's advertise between 10-20,000 hours depending on whose ad you believe.  A T5 4 bulb fixture with bulbs isn't much cheaper than the 5 FEIT fixtures either, although wiring 5 fixtures versus wiring 1 fixture probably costs a little more.

In a previous life I was an accountant, so bear with me! (and a previous life before that I was a Southern Baptist preacher, but fortunately I grew out of that!)

Mark

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I will take your word for it - guess if I get into real energy saving I will get out my big ladders and remove both the 4 bulb and the 2 bulb T8 fixtures from the ceiling in the house and replace them with LED lights.  I didn't even know they made T5 bulbs.  The LED fixtures are plug-in and linkable.

I think the best thing about the LED lights is not getting glass all over me and the shop when they get bumped with something, unlike FL bulbs without the extra plastic sleeves on them.  I came into my house garage one morning after we must have had a small earthquake and the plastic cover from my 2-light FL fixture was laying shattered on the floor.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO