LED SHOP LIGHTS

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Those are all definite benefits of LED's Ed, no question.  There are advantages to LED's, not arguing that, but when switching from flourescent to LED's, don't expect a big savings in energy.  If you want the light density available from T5's (say for a paint booth), that isn't available in LED's yet, unless you want to spend some serious money.  The other advantage for LEDs is most of the fixtures are dimmable now.  Flourescents can't do that (for the most part).

BTW - your 4' T8's should put out 2875 Lumens per 4' bulb, and consume 32 watts each.  About the same efficiency as T5's (90 Lumens per watt) , but the total output is lower per bulb.  If I was putting up new fixtures, I'd seriously consider LED's, but I wouldn't rip out working T8 fixtures to replace them, unless changing the bulbs every couple of years is really difficult.  The payback just isn't there except on an industrial scale.

In the new hangar I'm building, I'm probably going to put T5 fixtures in.  The ceilings will be 18' to 20' high, and the extra light output will be a big advantage, as well as costing a lot less.  To get a 19,000 Lumen LED fixture is $249, a T5 fixture with bulbs is about $100  Since I need about 10, that adds up!

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, I swapped out (10) 4' 2-bulb fluorescent fixtures for (10) for the FEIT LED shoplights yesterday. Based on some of the reviews I thought they might be a bit brighter collectively than the old lights and, indeed, they are. But not a -WOW!- kind of substantial way. In any event, I don't think I would have been happy if I had tried to get away with fewer LED fixtures, the 1-for-1 swap works good for me. I like the slightly whiter light, it's bright but not fatiguing or sterile cold, and the downward coverage pattern seems pretty good with no dead spots when hanging ~10' high. My shop ceiling light scheme is 2-zone, but I did put on all the pull cords on so I can on/off individual lights if desired. They are not super efficient and any electric cost savings is appreciated. IMHO, the best part is quick cold starts and NO BUZZ/HUM... Ahhh, pure bliss for a guy with tinnitus! At $200 +tax, not a cheap date but if you have to replace ballasts and bulbs anyways I think it makes a lot of sense. I think these would work very well for a DIY paint booth...  

Posted (edited)

Tinnitus? - I didn't know that FL buzzed - Guess I cant hear it because of all the radio waves, TV waves, and crickets and cicadas singing in my ears!  HA!   I was in an Artillery unit in Germany...

Dave0415 came to visit and when we went into my shop I think he had to wait for his eyes to adjust to the darkness from the one FL hanging over the workbench.  Maybe if I mount 4 LED fixtures in place of it, he can actually see my bird if he comes back!  I can always add more if that is not good enough - maybe some "chandeliers"!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thank  you Mark for that detailed explanation (or would that be Rev Mark? :) ) That helped me to make my mind up. T5s it is. New shop is going to have a 16' eve so they will be that high at least.

Posted (edited)

Before I retired,  Chrysler replaced the white lights in the body shop with sodium? lights - the ones that put out an orange color - I never got used to it - just felt like I was on a different planet or something just didn't feel right - almost sickening - had to carry a portable white light if I was doing precision work there. 

Re FL lights - I cant explain the difference in light output, but when you replace the standard "Cool White" 3000K bulbs, you get with a fixture, with either the 5700 or 6000K "Sunlight" bulbs that we used in Alaska to ward off SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) from lack of sunlight in winter, the light output makes the room at least 2x brighter to me.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I unpacked and hung one of the Orange box linkable LED lights today and was surprised to see that the lights are round tubes - the Green box LED lights were half-round tubes, but seems like the light output is about the same - much brighter than my old Floresent light - I can see my white fuselage now!  ;<)  Ed

Posted

I unpacked and hung one of the Orange box linkable LED lights today and was surprised to see that the lights are round tubes - the Green box LED lights were half-round tubes, but seems like the light output is about the same - much brighter than my old Floresent light - I can see my white fuselage now!  ;<)  Ed

Ha Just 1 fuselage or can you see all of them.

Posted

Ha Just 1 fuselage or can you see all of them.

All 3 - Red, White and Primer!  ;<)  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just a follow up on the shop lights:  We use our house garage as a rec area and my wife wanted more light over the end where she does some sewing and craft works - I put one of the LED shop lights on the ceiling and I believe it has to be about 3 or 5 times more light output than the 4 foot 2 tube T8 florescent light  that is on the other end of the ceiling there.  I don't have a light meter to measure it, but the brightness difference is great, and uses less electricity too.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Latest on Costco LED shop lights - Went last week and the lights are $39.95 now.  They also have a pair of LED tubes to replace (T8?) fluorescent bulbs for about $18 a pair.  Talked to a guy there who replaced all of his garage light bulbs with them and he loved them.   EDMO

Posted

The same $20 LED shoplight deal is live again at Costco. This year they also have a 2-pack for $40:

$39.99 After $16 OFF

$16 manufacturer's savings** is valid 11/28/17 through 12/24/17. While supplies last.

Features:
  • Feit Electric 42W
  • 4000K Cool White
  • 3700 Lumens
  • 50,000 Hours
  • 2-pack

Posted (edited)

The same $20 LED shoplight deal is live again at Costco. This year they also have a 2-pack for $40:

$39.99 After $16 OFF

$16 manufacturer's savings** is valid 11/28/17 through 12/24/17. While supplies last.

Features:
  • Feit Electric 42W
  • 4000K Cool White
  • 3700 Lumens
  • 50,000 Hours
  • 2-pack

Guess by 2 pack,  you mean 2 lites for $40?.  We have single 2-bulb lights for $20 here - Also 2 LED bulbs to replace T8 bulbs for $13 pair on sale - I replaced two T8 fluorescent 4-foot bulbs with the LED bulbs and they are lots brighter.   I am thinking 32 watt - not 42 like T8?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

FWIW the Costco sale is on agaB47E9C3A-32B0-41CD-85A4-01E26E79E827.thuin. All the lights I installed in 2016 going strong. Happy with the change. 

97A00E43-CC23-42D2-A44E-B7C38D839D61.jpeg

1 person likes this