Will Kitfox 4 wings fit an Avid MkIV?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Will they fit straight across without drastic modification?

Posted (edited)

Will they fit straight across without drastic modification?

They should hook up to the cross tubes, but someone said the controls and turtledeck might have to be changed a little?  For sure, (Best) you have Kitfox struts and modify the fuselage end of them to fit the Avid, or (Maybe) modify Avid struts to make them long enough for Kitfox wings.   I think Avid struts are attached at about 80" from wing root - Kitfox 4 is about 96", so angle from fuselage is a little different too.   I would like to see a report, including flight differences, if someone does this.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The only thing in common is the spar spacing.

Lift struts and control horns will be in different location.  The Kitfox flapperons will not be compatible, without modification, to the Avid control mixer and the same vise versa.

Posted

Anything is possible with some modifications - It has to be a lot easier than my project of making separate flaps and ailerons for a Kitfox clone.   EDMO

Posted

Anything is possible. I used to think it was feasible but, when you really get researching into the down and dirty nitty gritty, most agree it it just too much effort and expense. I ended up building long speed wings to Heavy Hauler specs for my A+, although that already does use a different under seat mixer.

As a note of interest, I do have the instructions from Kitfox to retrofit model 4-7 wings on an earlier model 2-3 and it is not a quick plug 'n play. The scope of work and parts list is quite extensive.

Posted (edited)

If this change is too complicated, why not modify your Avid ribs to something like the profile of the Kitfox 4 Riblett ribs if you are wanting more top speed - I posted the comparative drawings in files and forms for the early Kitfox ribs and the Kitfox 4/5 ribs.   Adding Kitfox tips to the Avid wings should help with lift/drag too.   I know that Kitfox wings are longer, but short wings usually fly faster.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed,

I want to go slow, it's what all the cool kids are into these days. 

I have Avid's Speed wings and want STOL wings. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Ed,

I want to go slow, it's what all the cool kids are into these days. 

I have Avid's Speed wings and want STOL wings. 

Then the Kitfox 1,2,3 wings should work for you, if they will be a little easier to match to an Avid - I don't know why not, as they were a copy of the Avid!   Where are you?  Wish you were close, I could help you to try fitting one of my Kitfox 3 undercambered wings with droop tips to your Avid.  Maybe swap out some of my Kitfox control rods too?  

OR, use your Avid flaperons? ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

As a note of interest, I do have the instructions from Kitfox to retrofit model 4-7 wings on an earlier model 2-3 and it is not a quick plug 'n play. The scope of work and parts list is quite extensive.

Doug, care to share?  I've got a model 2 fuselage and a model IV mixer but I've never put together the complete list of changes needed to marry to a set of IV wings.  

Posted

Sure, I'll try to dig everything up and scan it this weekend. 

Posted

My friend Dave put Kitfox wings and controls on his Avid C fuselage.  He used a Model IV Kitfox mixer and control system along with (scratch-built) Kitfox wings and new Flapperons.

He is a fabricator, extraordinaire, to say the least.  This was not an easy conversion which requires positioning the mixer precisely where it needed to go.

Yes, It can be done, but defiantly not for the faint of heart, unskilled or poorly equipped shop.

Posted

He is a fabricator, extraordinaire, to say the least.  This was not an easy conversion which requires positioning the mixer precisely where it needed to go.

Yes, It can be done, but defiantly not for the faint of heart, unskilled or poorly equipped shop.

I'm sure Dave didn't become a fabricator, extraordinaire without taking on a few challenges along the way.  Every once in awhile we need to try something to expand our horizons.

2 people like this