Hunting with your Avid 2016

13 posts in this topic

Posted

OK Guys, it's time to post your pictures for the annual hunting with your plane series.

Just got back from our sheep / caribou hunt this year.  No sheep but I did get a caribou.  Saw quite few sheep and caribou and got some poor quality pics by just holding my camera up to the spotting scope  Were not able to find a legal one we could get to but had a lot of fun.  As always, a lot of bears; saw 13 brown bears; walked into two cubs going up a narrow canyon; fortunately momma didn't show as we cautiously backed out.

Another buddy of mine has an any bull moose permit but sold his plane last year and still has not found a new one so will probably take him out around the firs week of Sept t see if we can find him a bull.  Hopefully will be able to add some more hunting with your plan pics then.DSCN1938-1.thumb.JPG.805089ba2d1940d8196

DSCN1904-1.jpg

DSCN1908-1.JPG

DSCN1907-1.jpg

DSCN1911-1.JPG

DSCN1930-1.JPG

DSCN1924-1.JPG

DSCN1931-1.JPG

DSCN1932-1.JPG

DSCN1936-1.JPG

DSCN1935-1.JPG

DSCN1944-1.JPG

DSCN1952-1.JPG

DSCN1983-1.JPG

DSCN1989-1.JPG

DSCN1999-1.JPG

DSCN1996-1.JPG

DSCN2002-1.JPG

DSCN2024-1.jpg

DSCN2032-1.jpg

DSCN2029-1.JPG

4 people like this

Posted

Super! Always love your fly-in hunting pics Randy. I bet my most physical deer hunts expended a tiny fraction of the energy and effort your sheep hunts take, but it sure looks worth it even if you come back with nothing but memories. Man, that's just spectacular to be setting in the middle of big wilderness like that.

Posted

Awesome pics as always Mr!  I wish I had the energy to go on one of the sheep hunts.. I make a pretty good camp cook though.  hahaha.  I need to get my butt in the gym so I can get into shape good enough for these hunts one of these days!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Randy,  This should have been posted in "Living your Dream"  Ha!   Great Photos - Where were you?  My old lungs don't handle the air above the tree line anymore.  Great Hunt - Big Caribou -That one Ram thru the scope looked like full curl.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.jpeg.196adff1148b84c06b52a10image.thumb.jpeg.efd13f73faf58b199538b6d

Are those speed wings?  I'm on the hunt for some STOL wings for my girl, but, if your landing in the back country with your speed wing, I may be able to drop new wings off my want list.  What kind of stall speed and approach speeds are you seeing with those vortex generators?  Did they help a ton, they're easier to install compared to building or finding new wings 

The gear looks like it's extended, what kit did you use, or are they custom one off jobbers?

Edited by LORENZ

Posted

image.thumb.jpeg.196adff1148b84c06b52a10image.thumb.jpeg.efd13f73faf58b199538b6d

Are those speed wings?  I'm on the hunt for some STOL wings for my girl, but, if your landing in the back country with your speed wing, I may be able to drop new wings off my want list.  What kind of stall speed and approach speeds are you seeing with those vortex generators?  Did they help a ton, they're easier to install compared to building or finding new wings 

The gear looks like it's extended, what kit did you use, or are they custom one off jobbers?

I think Randy is getting ready to build some Kitfox type wings for it - But, that plane is flown by a "Suber Pilot"!  HA!  I have some VGs.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

It has the HH wings with vg's and the KF leading edge (thanks to Ed).  I built the gear 5 1/2" taller than the Airdale extended wide gear plus a third connection point to the fuselage and it has 30" Airstreak tires so it sits quite a bit taller than stock.

On this trip I had all my gear plus full tanks and my auxillary strut tanks (not shown in this photo) since I had dropped them at a longer strip about 20 miles away so I could go into our landing area (about 600' at 2600ft ASL and a little rough) as light as possible.  Total fuel onboard with aux tanks is 38 gals. Needless to say, the plane was um... Heavy.

VG's added control authority (surprisingly) to flaperons but not much affect on lowering the stall speed, still a worth while add IMO.  A must do is to add them to the underside of your horizontal stabilizer just ahead of your elevator!  I also increased my flap deflection to 26 degrees but you have to be careful with that last little bit if winds are squirly.

At the weight I was on this trip, stall was probably between 45 and 50 mph but I never look at my ASI when landing just get it as slow as it will stay flying and be sure to nail your landing spot and get on the brakes.  Winds are really unpredictable in this area and a bit of a challenge.  When we loaded up camp we did it very early while it was still calm and had to fly to another spot to pick up 1/2 of the caribou in each plane.  Wanted to do that before we had to contend with the crazy winds.

Edited by SuberAvid
1 person likes this

Posted

Note too - That Randy has the Stratus 100-110 hp Subaru engine, combined with IVO-IFA prop, which gives him plenty of get-up-and-go!  EDMO

Posted

Randy, Before I repainted my wings I pull the VG's off that I had on there.  It is the first time I flew without the VG's.. WOW, I got a wake up call!  I can now fly level at neutral trim on the elevator, but it killed my climb and stall!  POwer on stall is not coming around 42-43 MPH clean and 38 MPH with flaps.  before with the VGs it was around 38-40 power on clean and 32-35 with power and flaps.  Best I could get on a 56 degree day was 570 FPM at 65 indicated and I was down to 4500 fpm at 55 indicated.  This was at 6500 RPM on the engine (max HP per chart).  I am going to put the VGs back on when I get to the cabin using double sided tape so I can remove / move them in the future depending on what testing shows. 

I also noticed a BIG decrease in the roll rate at slower speeds and was beating up my knees landing on the road in front of the cabin.  Of course, squirrely winds coming over the lip of the canyon was not helping, but I have landed there before with higher wind gusts and did not give the stick near the work out I gave it a couple days ago.

How far back from the leading edge are yours at? 

The map shows the strip at the cabin and I have a bit of an S turn or I have to come in over the trees that are about 65' tall then drop into the road bed with about 5-8' on each wing tip and get shut down in about 500'.  I cut some of the trees back after I got on the ground this time so approach should be better but I darn sure missed the roll control and the slower stable speed coming over the trees and around the bend.. The canyon on the right side of the pic is about as close to vertical as you can get and still grow trees on it.  You cant walk down it unless your roped off.

:BC:

landing map at cabin 1.png

Map2.png

Posted

Leni and Randy, I would like some VG placement pictures if you got any please??

Posted (edited)

Leni and Randy, I would like some VG placement pictures if you got any please??

Go to the old threads in General Hanger "VGs? Who has them and who likes them" dated in 20 OCT. 2015, and will be on page 10 or 11 in that section.   but also has reference to some 2011 posts.  Lots of info there - some good - some not so.    STOLSPEED VGs come with templates for wing and tail.   I have both sets that I would sell.

Yes, photos also help, but probably hard to get good pictures of those little clear plastic thingys - Oh yes, you are supposed to paint them to protect from UV.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Drop a link to that thread For the lazy Ed. I'm interested in learning more about those VG's you have and how they compare to other brands. If they're the "good" one, I'll probably pick them up from you. 

Posted (edited)

Drop a link to that thread For the lazy Ed. I'm interested in learning more about those VG's you have and how they compare to other brands. If they're the "good" one, I'll probably pick them up from you. 

I did the best an old dinosaur could do - Look at heading "AvidFoxflyers General Hanger" and click on it - scroll to bottom of page and see page numbers, and try either page 10, or it may now be page 11 - Look for the "VGs? Who has them and who likes them" post and click on it to read lots of things about them.    My VGs are supposed to be the best brand - STOLSPEED - same that Joey and some others used - 2 new unused boxes of 80 for tail and 120 for wings - less than new price.   You have to ask the others about the double-stick tape to use. 

If you cant find the old posts, let me know and I can bring it forward in General Hanger for you.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO