Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flaperon horn rivet pattern

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Guys,

I was going to install the flaperon horns on the Magnum today, but the directions talk about using a certain rivet pattern and reference a drawing, but the drawing does not show the rivet pattern.

Can somebody provide a pic or verbal description of the rivet pattern?

Thank you,

Ron

Posted (edited)

Guys,

I was going to install the flaperon horns on the Magnum today, but the directions talk about using a certain rivet pattern and reference a drawing, but the drawing does not show the rivet pattern.

Can somebody provide a pic or verbal description of the rivet pattern?

Thank you,

Ron

Sorry I cant help you since I sold my Magnum manual - Bet that it is probably same as most other Avids - Think Doug has a manual.   Evidently there was an early manual and a later one?   Does your manual have several pages of colored pictures in the back of it?  You might see the pattern there.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed,

yep, I looked through the pics, but I could only see 2 rivets...the manual says there should be more.

I'm pretty sure I have the latest version of the manual.

I'll keep looking though...

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

The manual says 8 rivets should be installed according to the drawing...the drawing shows nothing...

The pics I have seen look like two rivets per quarter turn of the tube and each rivet pair is offset from the pair before...

Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

That sounds about right when I look at mine.  I would go with it!

Maybe ChrisB can take a look at his and get back to you on it.  Shoot him a message.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Leni...I sent Chris a message tonight, but I' probably going to knock it out tomorrow as described above!

That's what I get for actually reading the directions!  :)

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

Sorry Ron, I went thru my A+ manual (really, a revised Mk-IV manual) three times, and found absolutely no mention or method of attaching the flaperon horns to the flaperon tubes. No pics either. Sheesh!

Posted

Doug, thanks for taking the time to do that!  Well, I think I'm just going to go for it with the pairs of rivets off set from each other every quarter turn.

Thanks again for looking...I owe you one.

Ron

Posted

My MKIV uses only 4 offset as you discribed.

Posted

Ron - Check the manual for instructions regarding the attachment of Heim ends in the elevator push/pull tube. Not sure if your Magnum does it similarly, but I recall my Kitfox 4 manual shows the procedure and rivet pattern for that. I can probably find and post that if you need.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ron - Check the manual for instructions regarding the attachment of Heim ends in the elevator push/pull tube. Not sure if your Magnum does it similarly, but I recall my Kitfox 4 manual shows the procedure and rivet pattern for that. I can probably find and post that if you need.

I think the designers went by "More is Better" in figuring how many rivets to put in the Magnum - Each strut to spar fitting has 8 more rivets than the smaller planes.   I was wondering if the longer spars were one piece, or spliced?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO