Bmw r100 engine in an avid

53 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all 

New to the forum and I own and fly an avid speedwing in the uk with a BMW r100 aero engine and wondered if anybody else has the same conversion?

Thanks

Richard 

Posted

I for one would like to hear about your BMW engine in the Avid.  Welcome aboard the forum as well!  JImChuk

Posted

Hi Jim 

Thanks for replying. A little about the engine well it's from a 1984 bmw r100 motorcycle which has been rebuilt and it has the cylinder heads reversed, been ported and polished and had long skirt high compression pistons with new I peace valves. It has duel ignition which are boyer Branson and run off a crankshaft sensor. It has a vp ivor prop which is run by a centrifugal clutch system that's bolted to a rotax gearbox. Its done 173 hours and runs like a sewing machine giving a 100 mph cruise at 4800 rpm fully coursed  burning 12 liters and hour with full fuel and two up so not bad at all and it's producing 80 hp. I think it's the only on flying in the uk and wanted to see if there's anymore flying in the world. 

Thanks 

Richard 

Posted

sounds like a great combo .yours is the first ive heard of in the world ,let alone the united states.id look at a pic if you posted it:)

Posted (edited)

I had a friend in South Africa who was going to put a BMW into a Kitfox about 13 years ago - I moved and changed computers and lost track of him, so I don't have any reports to give about how it worked.   I think this was thru the old Kitfox forum?  I think the military was using BMW engines in target planes years before that?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Welcome Richard. I know Steve Winder spent a bunch of time working out a BMW firewall forward when the was associated with Avid and then [old] Airdale Aircraft years ago. I may still have some of the pictures he sent me somewhere, it was a neat install. I do recall him praising the engine and had the impression that there were at least a handful of installs in the works, particularly in the UK where he was an Avid dealer. Seems like I may have also heard or read about at least one since then so I would be a bit surprised if yours truly was the only one. Send some pics over the pond when you get a chance!

Posted (edited)

Hi Jim 

Thanks for replying. A little about the engine well it's from a 1984 bmw r100 motorcycle which has been rebuilt and it has the cylinder heads reversed, been ported and polished and had long skirt high compression pistons with new I peace valves. It has duel ignition which are boyer Branson and run off a crankshaft sensor. It has a vp ivor prop which is run by a centrifugal clutch system that's bolted to a rotax gearbox. Its done 173 hours and runs like a sewing machine giving a 100 mph cruise at 4800 rpm fully coursed  burning 12 liters and hour with full fuel and two up so not bad at all and it's producing 80 hp. I think it's the only on flying in the uk and wanted to see if there's anymore flying in the world. 

Thanks 

Richard 

I would bet that there would be some flyers interested in that clutch / gearbox hookup to the engine, engine mount, and any other thing you can post or photo.  Jolly Good Show,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

A local gentleman here in the Yukon has a BMW fwd for sale. The link is http://www.yukonflying.com Look under the classified ads. There is also a really nice Kitfox 4 1050 just completely rebuilt.

Posted

I'm having trouble uploading pictures is there a certain way of doing it 

Posted (edited)

Richard,

I have a problem with the new computerized language - If "uploading" means "posting", then at the bottom of your screen when you are finished writing, there will be an option "choose files" or something like that - click on it and then go open the file of the picture you want to post - and let the site have time to get it, then you can do another.

If you are talking about "getting" photos - maybe the word for that is "downloading", although I may have these terms backwards?   I clicked on the site mentioned above and found the "classifieds" script at the bottom and clicked on that to find the BMW fwf photos and price of $7000.

Hope this helps - I think the new language for my ancient handicap of "ignorance" is, "computer challenged". 

Do you realize, That Dinosaurs were the first to fly, and still do.....Well, other than Dragonflies and insects before their time!

Cheers,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hi EDMO 

That is what I'm doing and it gets to the end and then tells me there has been a problem uploading it so will have to figure it out so I can show the fwf.

Thanks 

Richard 

Posted

Hi EDMO 

That is what I'm doing and it gets to the end and then tells me there has been a problem uploading it so will have to figure it out so I can show the fwf.

Thanks 

Richard 

Akflyer, C5Engineer, or one of the moderators might be able to help you out - I wonder if your picture is too large or has too many Fixals, Dixals, or Pixels - whatever they call them thingys?   As an antique, I do well to turn the puter on!   EDMO 

Posted

Hi EDMO 

Thanks 

Richard 

Richard,

If you want to email it to me at sires dot mark at gmail dot com I'll see if I can upload it for you.

Mark

Posted

Here is Richards picture.  Richard - I think it was too big - 11 megabytes.  I used Microsoft Paint to shrink it down to 400kb.

Mark

smallsmith.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hi EDMO 

Thanks 

Richard 

Richard,

If you want to email it to me at sires dot mark at gmail dot com I'll see if I can upload it for you.

Mark

HI mark 

I have sent you a few pictures via email.

Thanks 

Richard 

Edited by Richard Smith

Posted

Two more from Richard.

smallsmith2.jpg

smallsmith3.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Here is Richards picture.  Richard - I think it was too big - 11 megabytes.  I used Microsoft Paint to shrink it down to 400kb.

Mark

smallsmith.jpg

Thanks Mark it must be cause I'm trying to do it from my phone 

Posted (edited)

I wish that someone had told me that Avid made a nosegear many years ago - Then I would not have spent so much time and money designing one for the old Kitfox!  All that I saw on both brands were taildraggers up thru the Airdale until the heavier Kitfox 5 came out.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I've got 2 spare nose legs that are reinforced as there was an issue with them bending. Wouldn't mind converting my to a tailwheel in the future. Has anybody on here done the rudder mod that increases the hight of the rudder by 100mm as my has had that done as well

Posted (edited)

Kitfox increased their vertical stabilizer and rudder slowly from about 42" to 54" from model 1 to model 4.   My 54" rudder overlaps my larger VS by about 5" over the top so it can be balanced.   I don't know what the Avid guys have done to their rudders.   My entire plane is home-built and is a lot different than the Kitfoxes, but looks similar.   I have a Subaru EA-81 engine and I will have separate flaps and ailerons when it is finished, if I live that long.   My nose gear is custom-built.  I also have a spare spring-loaded nose gear wheel attachment  that sold for $1000 each for the Avids and Challengers.   EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

cool ,clean looking installation.custom airbox's or adapted ?

Posted (edited)

Mike,  Kind of frustrating when you ask a question about something you are really interested in and don't get a reply for a few days, with the chance it will get covered up by a new post and never answered.   I thought the BMW airboxes looked great too, and wondered where they came from.    I think Jaberu (SP?) makes airboxes for their engines too, but they look totally different than these.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Mike,  Kind of frustrating when you ask a question about something you are really interested in and don't get a reply for a few days, with the chance it will get covered up by a new post and never answered.   I thought the BMW airboxes looked great too, and wondered where they came from.    I think Jaberu (SP?) makes airboxes for their engines too, but they look totally different than these.   EDMO

Some of us work and it may be a few days before we get back online and read the forum.  In my case, I spend a lot of time on the forum at work, but when I am home I am too busy being out enjoying the great outdoors to even think about electronics, phones or internet :)

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Some of us work and it may be a few days before we get back online and read the forum.  In my case, I spend a lot of time on the forum at work, but when I am home I am too busy being out enjoying the great outdoors to even think about electronics, phones or internet :)

Leni,  We know that you are lost in the frozen tundra about half the time - not getting on anyone's back - just expressing what happens sometimes when a question is asked and then gets lost in the old posts - happens quite a bit - just a fact of life on the e-net.   Some of us without a job (retirees) have more time to stir the pot!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Leni,  We know that you are lost in the frozen tundra about half the time - not getting on anyone's back - just expressing what happens sometimes when a question is asked and then gets lost in the old posts - happens quite a bit - just a fact of life on the e-net.   EDMO

hi guys 

Sorry been really busy but they are from the jabiru.

Thanks

Richard 

1 person likes this