Bmw r100 engine in an avid

53 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

cool ,clean looking installation.custom airbox's or adapted ?

Mike,  Kind of frustrating when you ask a question about something you are really interested in and don't get a reply for a few days, with the chance it will get covered up by a new post and never answered.   I thought the BMW airboxes looked great too, and wondered where they came from.    I think Jaberu (SP?) makes airboxes for their engines too, but they look totally different than these.   EDMO

Some of us work and it may be a few days before we get back online and read the forum.  In my case, I spend a lot of time on the forum at work, but when I am home I am too busy being out enjoying the great outdoors to even think about electronics, phones or internet :)

:BC:

Leni,  We know that you are lost in the frozen tundra about half the time - not getting on anyone's back - just expressing what happens sometimes when a question is asked and then gets lost in the old posts - happens quite a bit - just a fact of life on the e-net.   EDMO

hi guys 

Sorry been really busy but they are from the jabiru.

Thanks

Richard 

Thanks for the surprising answer Richard.   The only ones I had seen for the Jab looked different.   Now I see the same ones in Boat's post and photos above about Jabiru engines.EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Richard,  Do you have a fwf weight for the BMW install - with or without the prop.  What prop are you using?   Thanks,  EDMO

Posted

Richard,  Do you have a fwf weight for the BMW install - with or without the prop.  What prop are you using?   Thanks,  EDMO

hi EDMO 

The fwf weights about 70lbs and I'm using a 3 blade vp ivor prop.

Richard 

1 person likes this

Posted

hi EDMO 

The fwf weights about 70lbs and I'm using a 3 blade vp ivor prop.

Richard 

That is really light for a 4-stroke 80 hp - Bet that they could make a 4 cyl 150 hp and be lighter than a C65... EDMO

Posted

I'm thinking that must be a misprint.  The HKS 60 HP two cylinder is about 120 lbs.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking that must be a misprint.  The HKS 60 HP two cylinder is about 120 lbs.  JImChuk

I wonder if that should have been 70 Kilos?   C65 is about 170 lbs, depending on -8 or -12 with starter, etc.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I"d bet you're right, Ed.  70 kg is 154 pounds.

Posted

That 154 lbs would be believeable.  JImChuk

Posted

Sorry guys it was 70 kgs not lbs 

Posted

Posted

a clip of the bmw engine running if anybody is interested 

Posted

Posted

Morning flight 

Posted (edited)

Nice video Richard - Any numbers you can give for takeoff, climb, cruise, etc?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Congratulations!

Id love to see some more photos of the engine as mounted. 

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Congratulations!

Id love to see some more photos of the engine as mounted. 

Photos would be great, along with any modifications to the engine, and specifications for it.  EDMO

Posted

Hi guys

if you look at the topic from the beginning there are pics and details.

thanks 

Richard 

Posted

Richard, I think everyone is saying we'd all like to see some better up close pictures of the engine and installation. 

Can't wait to see numbers and performance data from this. Very clean looking installation. 

Posted

Richard I think your airplane is just great.  I heard about the BMW conversions several years ago.  I think there is even a commercial supplier.  As I recall some of the first were in powered gliders and they were priced in about the same range as the Rotax engines and are just a smidge heavier.  Parts are sure as heck cheaper.  

A nice looking bird all around.  

Posted

Richard I think your airplane is just great.  I heard about the BMW conversions several years ago.  I think there is even a commercial supplier.  As I recall some of the first were in powered gliders and they were priced in about the same range as the Rotax engines and are just a smidge heavier.  Parts are sure as heck cheaper.  

A nice looking bird all around.  

Thank you very much and it has taken a long time to do the conversion and many bespoke parts have been made along the way. I would like to turn it into a tail wheel and change the colour so no doubt I will have to re-skin it then to keep the weights down so she will be out of action for a while when I start that and I will put a new panel in her to finish off.

Thank 

Richard 

Posted

I built 92 BMW R-100 using an emerald apha ignition with a 50 amp alternator, and need info on where to purchase, or obtain the adaptor plates, or drawings to mount a "C" box drive. can any one help  Thank You

Don

Posted

You might try Airtrikes in Canada. I know they sell conversion parts for the BMW engines using their gearbox but, I don't know if they have an adapter for the "C" box.

Posted

I built 92 BMW R-100 using an emerald apha ignition with a 50 amp alternator, and need info on where to purchase, or obtain the adaptor plates, or drawings to mount a "C" box drive. can any one help  Thank You

Don

hi don 

I have all the cad drawings if you need them.

Richard 

2 people like this

Posted

Don

hi don 

Richard 

Richard

I replied back, must have got lost in the cloud.  But I would appreciate the drawings.  Iam doing a pusher version fo a Ran's S-12  Thanks

Don

donvansant@pacbell.net

Posted

Don

hi don 

Richard 

Richard

I replied back, must have got lost in the cloud.  But I would appreciate the drawings.  Iam doing a pusher version fo a Ran's S-12  Thanks

Don

donvansant@pacbell.net

Hi Don 

I have emailed you a few question about the engine works.

Thanks 

Richard