Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

STOLspeed VG's on Kifox 4 - 1200

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all, 

Just installed some STOLspeed VG's on a Kitfox 4 - 1200 powered by a 912UL and here are some non-scientific numbers that we noted. This is the 4th or 5th set of STOLspeed VG's that we have installed on various aircraft, all with slightly different results, all with mainly positive results. First off, on this one we did the staggered installation which was new to us but since it was tried before we felt lets run with it, especially since it is listed on the STOLspeed webpage under Kitfox. We went as close as possible with the installation instructions as provided on the webpage and here is what changed; All test's flown dual occupancy, app. half fuel at 3000' ASL runway and 4000' ASL circuit elevation, standard day.

Climb increase 200'/min from 500' to 700'        Cruise increase 3 to 5 mph     approach speed drop (solid feel) by almost 10mph  - unable to power off stall the aircraft with stick all the way back from cruise flight configuration, merely nose nodding at below 40mph through a 5mph up and down motion. WOW!!!    

...and than we put on the Horizontal Stabilizer VG's at 30mm intervals and taped the hinge. 

Lets just say that there was a speed drop in cruise, a heavier feel to the aft stick once flaps are set untrimmed and little to no "positive" change in flare, except maybe a bit of over flare if you were not ever so gentle in your round out and/or deceleration phase. Not sure if I like them or not. Felt good without them and in my opinion taping the hinge, if you really must, probably is all you need. I'd take the faster cruise speed over an over flare on landing, thank you very much, all I am looking for is a nice three point attitude that is holding right until touch down. Maybe a 60mm spacing might be better, in either case more testing is needed. Maybe with a heavier engine up front like a Subie or big Jabi, they may make a bit more difference, but with the 80hp Rotax and the Moment Arm at 12.32 I don't feel they are that much an improvement. Just our experience and two bits. 

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

how far back on the leading edge did you put them?

Posted

Here is another link to the instructions that we used. Didn't bring a drywall square that would have been real handy on the bottom of the wing. Saved by the iPhone but almost turned into a 2 person 5 handed job to get exact to the mm. :rolleyes:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just looking at the photos, and reading the placement in mm from leading edge from the link, it sure looks like the measurement is not what is stated.

43mm = about 1 5/8" roughly figured

78mm = about 3"

IMO, each one appears to be about 2 times that distance in the photo posted and the photo in the link.   

I would have to check, but I think the original installation says to use about 7% of chord:  43" chord = about 3" and 51" chord = about 3 1/2", from leading edge to front of VGs, and then they say to try this with double-sided tape and move them to different locations to see if there is an improvement.

I'm not saying that the writer is wrong on the dimensions, but it sure looks like they are a lot farther back to me.

I wish that someone had put a tapemeasure in the photos.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO