Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PA Fly in, Sept 9,10, and 11

29 posts in this topic

Posted

I haven't been on this site much since I sold my Avid. I thought I would extend an invitation to you local PA and MD Avidfoxflyers to come to a no frills fly in at my private strip.  There are a couple of guys from the  Backcountry site  that will be here and some local pilots. We will serve food and there will be a fire On Friday and Saturday night, You can camp under your wing.  I will have a make shift shower set up and Porta potties.

The airport Identifier is PA72 Circle W Airport in East Berlin PA.  Use 122.9 for comm and both runways are left hand pattern.

Bring your own tiedowns.

Please private message me if you plan to visit. 

NO POWERED PARACHUTES, ULTRA LITES, OR UNLICENSED AIRCRAFT OR UNLICENSED PILOTS PLEASE.

2 people like this

Posted

No takers? 

Posted

Don't think you listed the date for the flyin.  Was it this weekend?  JImChuk

Posted

I thought it was in the title, if not it is the 9th, 10th, and 11th of Sept 2016.  This coming weekend

Posted

It was.  Guess I just read the post.  Hope it goes well.  To far from Mn for me.  JImChuk

Posted

Would you shun a guy for showing up in say...a nose dragger? That's about the speed I'm looking for this coming weekend while I'm out flying around. Been looking to do a little airplane camping this month.

Kenneth

Posted (edited)

Would you shun a guy for showing up in say...a nose dragger? That's about the speed I'm looking for this coming weekend while I'm out flying around. Been looking to do a little airplane camping this month.

Kenneth

Kenneth,  Maybe you should tell him that your nosedragger is an Experimental - Not a Spam Can - unless you are renting?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Kenneth, I own a nose dragger and a couple of taildraggers, guess what I fly when it's windy. I only have a few hundred hours in taildraggers and a stiff cross wind still makes me nervous. You are welcome to come. Hope to see you in a few days.

1 person likes this

Posted

NO POWERED PARACHUTES, ULTRA LITES, OR UNLICENSED AIRCRAFT OR UNLICENSED PILOTS PLEASE.

And Why?

Posted

TJay,

I have been to multiple fly ins where Ultralight and PPg pilots are not too good at following  the rules. Some don't know the rules. 

I am keeping this fly in simple and it is my first one. I figure if a guy went through the private pilot course or the sport pilot course, he should have enough training  to fly a pattern correctly and compitently.

I have friends who fly ultra lights and have no license that land here all the time, But I personally know them.

I have hundreds of hours in ultra lights, in fact we are finishing up a Kolb right know, I love them. I have been flying them since 1981, I have seen the best and the worst that the ultra light community has to offer.

I am opening up my private airstrip to the public for a weekend, I am worried enough about the liability issues that I am exposing myself to. I am only doing it because I want to support aviation and I love it.

I am trying to keep the risk factor down by not having too many dissimular aircraft trying to land at a small airport with no taxi way.

I may have an ultra light only fly in some time in the future, We'll see how this one goes. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Kenneth

Kenneth,  Maybe you should tell him that your nosedragger is an Experimental - Not a Spam Can - unless you are renting?  EDMO

Ed, I'm not renting. Since the wife still won't fly since the accident, I'm on my own. Seems silly to rent something when I can fly for under $10 an hour in my own. 

Kenneth, I own a nose dragger and a couple of taildraggers, guess what I fly when it's windy. I only have a few hundred hours in taildraggers and a stiff cross wind still makes me nervous. You are welcome to come. Hope to see you in a few days.

Thanks Cliff, I'll add it to my huge list. Why is it that there are no less than 5 fly ins this weekend that I want to go to? They all fall on the same days too. Have to really think hard about which one to attend. Any chance you're close enough to a gas station that I can pick up 5 gallons if I do come up there though?

Posted

Kenneth,  Sorry to hear that your wife hasn't gotten over the golfing.  If you ever get to Missouri with that SuberPete I will go flying with you!  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Kenneth,  Sorry to hear that your wife hasn't gotten over the golfing.  If you ever get to Missouri with that SuberPete I will go flying with you!  EDMO

You're on for the flight if I ever get out there with it. It's been tough on her since the golfing for sure. Not sure she'll ever recover. I'm still nervous every time I go up wondering when the "next" time will be that an engine quits. Three engine outs in three years is a bit much, it sure sticks with you for sure. 

Posted

You're on for the flight if I ever get out there with it. It's been tough on her since the golfing for sure. Not sure she'll ever recover. I'm still nervous every time I go up wondering when the "next" time will be that an engine quits. Three engine outs in three years is a bit much, it sure sticks with you for sure. 

Well, I think that is what we were supposed to be trained for - and you have proved you can do it and walk away or at least survive.  I wont make any comments about my em-landings or engine choices on here.  I think you saw some of the remains.   EDMO

Posted

gas station is 1.5 miles away, I have a couple of airport cars you can use and plenty of gas cans.

1 person likes this

Posted

Watch 'Flying the Feathered Edge', about of Bob Hoover (The greatest pilot that ever (and will ever) lived).  He probably had more engines quit than any other pilot, ever.  Imagine test flying planes in North Africa in WWII assembled from the shipping crates by Arab workers who couldn't read........

Mark

Posted (edited)

Would love to have attended if i didnt have an obligation this weekend.   Hopefully next year if you have it!  Good luck with you event and post some pics if you can.

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

LSaupe, See you next time, Have a good weekend.

Posted

Cliff, I hope everyone has a great time at your first invitational fly in. Great way to break in your new strip and get the neighbors involved! Sadly, I'm in the same boat as Larry with no working wings right now but you are certainly within an 'overniter' radius for me too. I'll have to keep Kenneth and the other nose draggers company. My 2017 flyin list continues to grow! Are you up and running with your paint and design biz yet?

Posted

Dholly, 

We have been doing cars, motorcycles and dissassembled aircraft at our new facility since around Jan of 2015. We have just gotten set up well enough to do complete aircraft up to  a Cessna 206 in size. I have a Cessna 182 in the shop now that is almost ready to spray and a 150 left here last week. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Hope you can make it here next time.

Posted

Me too!

Glad you're making money now, care to share your favorite poly topcoat for fabric planes? Curious if you've tried either Endura EX-2C or AkzoNobel U-Tech U350 Single Stage and your experience.

Thanks!

Posted

I have sprayed alot of U tech, never any Endura. Poly fiber's aerothane is good and I have used air tech on 2 Champs. I prefer poly tone on fabric, it is lighter and very easy to repair. 

Posted

Thanks Cliff, I need to match existing Imron 5000.

Posted

Cliff, any report as to what's going on this weekend? I'm heading to the airport in the morning to hit a couple fly ins in the area and might end up at your place tomorrow night. I'll PM you my cell number too since I don't have a smart phone and can only get on here when I'm actually at home on my computer. 

Kenneth

Posted

Lost man,

Stop in, I'm sure you will have a good time. Camping, food, drink. and cool airplanes. Maybe I forgot to mention that there is no charge for anything. Sort of our first open house. Hope to see you this weekend.

2 people like this