Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Building wheel skis

9 posts in this topic

Posted

here is a file that will give you dimensions for building the skis. If you don't want wheel skis, it would be very easy to modify the pedestal mount so you can put a sleeve on it to bolt your skis on like a normal ski using your axle.

ski_dimensions.pdf

Posted

here is a file that will give you dimensions for building the skis. If you don't want wheel skis, it would be very easy to modify the pedestal mount so you can put a sleeve on it to bolt your skis on like a normal ski using your axle.

Cool, Leni. I'd really like to build a pair of Wheel-through skis for this winter. I may use this, in part, in order to build them.

Thanks!

:siterocks::brownoser::siterocks:

Posted

Cool, Leni. I'd really like to build a pair of Wheel-through skis for this winter. I may use this, in part, in order to build them.

Thanks!

:siterocks::brownoser::siterocks:

Looks like I got goat roped into building a couple sets of these when I get home next week. I will do a full write up on how to make them, how I end up modifying them etc. The ones I build will be straight ski's so I will modify the pedestal for normal mounting.

:beerchug:

Posted

Looks like I got goat roped into building a couple sets of these when I get home next week. I will do a full write up on how to make them, how I end up modifying them etc. The ones I build will be straight ski's so I will modify the pedestal for normal mounting.

:beerchug:

Leni,

Did you get the info I sent you on the Acrolite skis?

Jack

Posted

Leni,

Did you get the info I sent you on the Acrolite skis?

Jack

Yes I did, that may swing me as they look like they will be easier to build! Not to mention the price of 4130 has gone way up since the last time I bought some. From the pics, it looks like Acrolights modified just a bit for more width would be real easy and cheap to make. I would make the pedestal a bit taller to get better angle of attack. I will be real interested in seeing the plans when I swing by!

:BC:

Posted

Yes I did, that may swing me as they look like they will be easier to build! Not to mention the price of 4130 has gone way up since the last time I bought some. From the pics, it looks like Acrolights modified just a bit for more width would be real easy and cheap to make. I would make the pedestal a bit taller to get better angle of attack. I will be real interested in seeing the plans when I swing by!

Ok, I'll have them ready when you come for the cowl.

Jack

Posted

I have a pair of the, I think Avid???, Wheel skis.

Leni, Why can't we just raise the pedistal, Axel location,

and use them for patterns? That way if you wanted to use the

22" tires you could, just make the teflon bottom fit.

Instead of bolting into the ends of the axel, add a tube to

slip over the existing axel.

Posted

I have a pair of the, I think Avid???, Wheel skis.

Leni, Why can't we just raise the pedistal, Axel location,

and use them for patterns? That way if you wanted to use the

22" tires you could, just make the teflon bottom fit.

Instead of bolting into the ends of the axel, add a tube to

slip over the existing axel.

Looking at making a couple sets. The 4130 alone will run about 300 a set. I know there is not 300 in aluminum on the skis that Jack showed. It would be a shit load faster to cut and rivet together the aluminum, than to fit, tack and weld out the 4130. I am gonna look at the plans and see if they are as simple as they look, get a material list and price it out. If it ends up being real close on price, I guess it will be a coin toss :lol:

Posted

Looking at making a couple sets. The 4130 alone will run about 300 a set. I know there is not 300 in aluminum on the skis that Jack showed. It would be a shit load faster to cut and rivet together the aluminum, than to fit, tack and weld out the 4130. I am gonna look at the plans and see if they are as simple as they look, get a material list and price it out. If it ends up being real close on price, I guess it will be a coin toss :lol:

Leni,

Are you familiar with the old "treetopflyers" site? It was recently redone because of problems, virus I think, and is now called www.skiplane.org . Lots of info on ski flying and skis. Thought I'd throw it out for anyone not familiar with it and having issues with their skis or installations.

Jack

1 person likes this