Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Source for 3/4" Reinforcing Tape?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I will be rib lacing a wing with 3/4" wide aluminum capstrips. PolyFiber manual says to use reinforcing tape the same width as the capstrip, but I'm pretty sure no one makes this width. At least I haven't found any yet. I have both 1/2" and 1" on hand, any suggestions?

Posted (edited)

Doug,  I wouldn't even worry about finding 3/4" tape - The 1" tape only overlaps the rib by 1/8" on each side, and that might even be better.  I probably don't get it on that straight anyway!  Do you ribstitch, or use clips, screws, rivets, or none with those ribs?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Doug, I have my own cutting wheel for a fabric cutter that is made for making pinked edges. I've had pretty good success making my own strips before. JoAnn fabric sells them with their scissors, they are worth every penny! Just use starch on the fabric before you cut them out and they keep good crisp edges that don't fray much. 

Posted

@Ed - yes, only 1/8" overlap each side was kinda my thought too but, hey, just trying to go 'by the book' whenever possible! Using flat lace on these wings.

@Kenneth - I'm talking about reinforcing tape for under rib lacing, not finish tape for over. Definitely don't want to use pinked edges for reinforcing tape for this. I *think* I have enough pinked edge finish tape in the various sizes I need, but if your cutter is like Jim Chuk's, it looks pretty handy especially for making bias tapes. Only time will tell if I did my tape estimates early in the am or after a long day of work, lol. ;)

Posted

I will be rib lacing a wing with 3/4" wide aluminum capstrips. PolyFiber manual says to use reinforcing tape the same width as the capstrip, but I'm pretty sure no one makes this width. At least I haven't found any yet. I have both 1/2" and 1" on hand, any suggestions?

"rib lacing" in your first post - Duh!  That's what I get for getting up too early in the morning and thinking I can read and understand it!  EDMO

Posted

Doug, I've never done any rib lacing so was thinking pinked tape over your stitching. Are you talking about anti-chafe type tape? Still trying to make sure I understand what you're talking about for sure. I don't even had EDMO's excuse, it's the middle of the day and I can't think it through correctly.

Posted

Hi Kenneth

PolyFiber anti-chafe tape is adhesive backed cloth tape. Reinforcing tape is an adhesive backed polyester twill material that stuck to the fabric over the rib cap before rib lacing. It reinforces the fabric so the laces don't cut right through the fabric when cinching them down. It's my understanding that you can use reinforcing tape in place of anti-chafe tape but not vice versa. Clear as mud?

1 person likes this