Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

help with Hysol

9 posts in this topic

Posted

New avid owner and i'm having difficulty with this hysol.epoxy  i want to order the 9460 which is what was used in my plane.  I've only found a couple of places that deal with 9460.  the new answer to the glue is 9430 and it's not one to one ratio.  the question is will the 9430 work and perform the same as 9460.  thanks in advance

avid flyer

'flyingjester"

Posted

are you still building it or repairing it? 

Posted (edited)

New avid owner and i'm having difficulty with this hysol.epoxy  i want to order the 9460 which is what was used in my plane.  I've only found a couple of places that deal with 9460.  the new answer to the glue is 9430 and it's not one to one ratio.  the question is will the 9430 work and perform the same as 9460.  thanks in advance

avid flyer

'flyingjester"

The best advice I can give is for you to pull up the Loctite site and see what they say - If that don't answer you enough you can call a representative for the company.   I have the Loctite books, but have not read enough to tell you what you are asking.   I would like to know too, and probably others on here do too.  

Sorry Leni,  I covered up your question:  "Are you repairing or still building?"   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just looking over the brochure from loctite, it looks like the 9430 is much thinner and is only good for 180 degrees.  If you plane is a dark color and it sits outside in the Arizona sun it could be an issue with it getting soft inside the wings!  I think I would stick (no pun intended) with the 9460 as it is good for 350° and its WAY thicker and wont run when your trying to glue the ribs to the spar.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just looking over the brochure from loctite, it looks like the 9430 is much thinner and is only good for 180 degrees.  If you plane is a dark color and it sits outside in the Arizona sun it could be an issue with it getting soft inside the wings!  I think I would stick (no pun intended) with the 9460 as it is good for 350° and its WAY thicker and wont run when your trying to glue the ribs to the spar.

:BC:

Since your Avid instruction may only talk about using 2216,  the Kitfox instructions I have for using 9460 says to mix it with enough cotton flox to thicken it, so that it don't thin out when it gets warm while setting up.  Kitfox wont send you enough flox for more than one repair job, but about the same price will get you a large bag of it from Spruce - probably more than you will ever use - same way with the microballons recommended for gluing steel to aluminum.  

The 3 best tools I have found for applying it, is large Craft sticks, small (popsicle) craft sticks, and a digital scale for $25 at Harbor Freight, and leftover used plastic food cups from the kitchen, etc.  You can mix 9460 by weight or equal volume - I prefer weight.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

thanks for all the info.  now I just have to find someplace that actually stocks it by the quart for a reasonable price and reasonable shipping

Posted (edited)

Kitfox actually stocks it - You get a quart of white and a quart of black to mix - last time cost me $135, and I think that included shipping.   Gave up looking everywhere else because they all wanted to sell me a case of it or nothing!   Maybe someone has found it cheaper?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Try www.all-spec.com/products/416033.html . . . $116.00 plus shipping.