Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bush wheels

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Thought I would share picture of avid with 26" Alaskan bush wheels. Made it look a lot different in my opinion. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

Nice, I like the pod also.

Posted (edited)

Looks great!  I still need to break down and get 26" ABW.  My 30" airstreaks are a bit over kill :lol:

:BC:

Edited by akflyer

Posted

I didn't realize you had 30" on your avid.  How does it perform.

Posted

What kind of cargo pod is that?

Posted

Avid pod? ???  There were some guys in Alaska talking about getting some copies made - donno what ever happened with that deal.  EDMO

Posted

This is an original cargo pod made by AVID.  I was willing to take it to a local fiberglass shop and let them copy but not sure of cost effectiveness.  Its a nice pod that holds a lot of stuff. 

I heard Bretts wife died a year ago and he has basically stopped doing anything with AVID.  Our only option is to have this made by a fiberglass shop.

Posted

Im tempted to go the 26" way on the next tire change.  Can you post up some climb/cruise/rpm numbers?  Im worried about the performance degrading...

Posted

I did not notice any performance issues except that rocks are absorbed a lot better which is easier on landing gear.  Even if you lost a little performance the advantage you gain in off airport takeoff and landings is worth it.

1 person likes this

Posted

I heard Bretts wife died a year ago and he has basically stopped doing anything with AVID.  Our only option is to have this made by a fiberglass shop.

Okay.  Rumor control!

Brett's mother in law died a little while back.  Not his wife.

He is doing some Avid stuff, but not much.

1 person likes this

Posted

Okay thanks for clarification.  I got that story from Kitfox.

Posted

I did not notice any performance issues except that rocks are absorbed a lot better which is easier on landing gear.  Even if you lost a little performance the advantage you gain in off airport takeoff and landings is worth it.

Thats all the info I needed.  Nobody tell my wife what a set of those bushwheels cost!!!!!!!!!! When these tires wear out thats where im going!!!

2 people like this

Posted

I did have the 30's on mine and I loved them in the rocks but they were a huge drag in the air and it killed my climb and cruise speed.  I am convinced that the 26" are the perfect ticket for those of us who truly fly off field and play in the rocks and deep sand.  Even just landing on rough ground in a field etc. they smooth it way out.  Think of it as emergency survival gear for the time your engine quits and you have to set down in a freshly plowed field.  If your running 8:50s you stand a good chance of going over.  With the BW your chances of it turning into just another landing and walking away with yourself and your plane in tact are much greater. 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Very well said Leni and that is not just a bunch of snake oil.

1 person likes this

Posted

The other key ingredient is low air pressure in tire.  A bush wheel pumped up to tight defeats the purpose.

Posted

The other key ingredient is low air pressure in tire.  A bush wheel pumped up to tight defeats the purpose.

I run 2 to 3 psi in mine and love them.