Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pluming in a heater

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Looks like it will soon be that time of year again.

By chance, do any of you have a plumbing schematic for the Kitfox heater?  I have a core and blower(only), just need to plumb in the rest.  My hope is to get away with a single ball valve, on the inlet to the heater core and two "T" connections to connect to the main coolant hot and cold lines to make the parallel circuit.

May consider a 3 way valve if the pressure drop was low.

Anyone using one now and have any feedback?

Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

"Y" connections should give better flow than "T" connections - as long as they are connected in the right direction of flow.  I saw the heater drawings in one of my manuals, but looked briefly thru the Kitfox manuals and didn't see it - It might have been in the Avid Magnum manual that I sold.  1/4 turn ball valve should work.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Take a look back at my recent "Heater" thread.  I followed the advice of not needing the valve and it is working great.  No noticeable heat when the fan is not running.  The 1 X 5/8" tees are not easy to find but Universal Parts Inc does carry the y's and other things that I used.  Copper tees 3/4 X 1/2" will work but I choose not to use them for a couple of reasons: another type of metal introduced into the system and the short clamping area not to mention added weight   http://www.universalpartsinc.com

Edited by wypaul
added link
1 person likes this

Posted

Great info, thanks!

Posted

T's are fine. I made my own. No valves needed. 

Been running this type of system for ever. No problems.