Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alaska Fly in

48 posts in this topic

Posted

If the weather holds, I am thinking about a weekend flight to Fish Creek Lake. Should know in a day or so if I can pull it off.

:BC:

Posted

Hi Leni,

I will try to get out there today if the wind has died down some at the airport. Those Matenuska winds are a pain.

Randy

Posted

Time to resurrect this thread. Anyone want to try and make a run to the lodge around the 8th? My work schedule just changed today and I will be home so I am hoping to get some flying in. I am open during the week too if anyone can get away, I should be ready to fly the 4th to the 11th as long as the weather cooperates!

Posted

Time to resurrect this thread. Anyone want to try and make a run to the lodge around the 8th? My work schedule just changed today and I will be home so I am hoping to get some flying in. I am open during the week too if anyone can get away, I should be ready to fly the 4th to the 11th as long as the weather cooperates!

BC.gif

Leni,

That sounds good. I can take Friday off too so I could meet you out there on Friday the 7th. I got a primer on the plane now and it is a tremendous help in starting but still hard when it is down toward 0 degrees like it has been. It makes me nervous so I will plan to bring an extra battery and jumper cables plus a charger if you think we can get power to the planes. I know it could be well below 0 out there. I borrowed Jacks wing covers and will try to get an engine cover fab'd up. Jack said you built a compact engine pre-heater so I would be interested in the details on it; maybe I can get one put together by then.

Let me know what I should bring. Hope the weather and winds cooperate; we are in the typical winter high wind cycle. There were a few airplanes piled on top of each other at Wasilla from last week's winds; a 182 ended up on top of a Stinson, Chief on its back and a Taylorcraft beat itself to death at Anderson lake; some others out at Palmer, pretty ugly. I decided to fly on Saturday; first time with the skis on the A+. There is almost no snow at all left on the lakes; at an idle I was skating along on the ice at 15 mph, fortunately just a few small patches of snow left I could dive into to sort of slow down. I decided I could line up on those on landing so I took off. Once I got to about 700' the wind started; I only flew for about 45 minutes out west and started back . My ground speed dropped to 45 mph and it was a fun ride home. I managed to get down and turned without hitting the trees on the far end.

Here is wishing for severe clear and calm on the 7th - 9th. BC.gif

Posted

Randy,

I called the lodge and have them on high alert for the 7th to the 9th, or when ever I feel like leaving smilielol.gif They have room for 20 peeps so it wont be an issue.

For the pre-heater, I bought an MSR multi fuel stove, a 50 cal. ammo box and some scat tube. Drill a bunch of 1/2" holes all around the bottom of the ammo can an inch or so from the bottom and put a couple outlets for the scat tube to fit on in the top lid. Put the stove inside it with the fuel bottle on the outside. Light it, shut the lid and put the scat hose on the outlets n shovem up in the cowling. Make sure you have enough holes around the bottom to get a good draft coming out the tubes and she will put out some serious heat!

I had done something like this in the past with a coleman multi fuel stove and dryer vent, but this one will all pack into the ammo can real neat. I got the idea from here

http://forums.outdoo...ngine-Preheater

THe bonus with the ammo can like this and the two outlets is.... yep, stick both in the cowling to get that engine warmed up, then move one into the cockpit to get it thawed out while still keeping the engine nice and warm with the other one. You would be surprized how much heat these lil guys will put out!

I will keep it updated here on the flyin, and give you a shout when I get into town and see how many guys we can drag out there. You need to tell Jack he needs to come along to make sure you do not get his covers put on the plane wrong smilielol.gif I am sure we can get someone to give him a ride out there if he wants to come out and play, hell, I will swing by your place and pick him up if I need to, I dont mind flying out of the way a little bit!

BC.gif

Posted

Leni,

Thanks for the invite, but I have too much on the plate between aged parents and plumbing in the house freezing when you turn your back.

Merry Christmas to everyone,

Jackak

Posted

Jack, Don't forget that all work and no play will make Jack a very grumpy boy!

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

:BC: :BC:

Posted

Thanks Leni, and the same back at ya..

Jack

Posted

Randy,

I called the lodge and have them on high alert for the 7th to the 9th, or when ever I feel like leaving smilielol.gif They have room for 20 peeps so it wont be an issue.

For the pre-heater, I bought an MSR multi fuel stove, a 50 cal. ammo box and some scat tube. Drill a bunch of 1/2" holes all around the bottom of the ammo can an inch or so from the bottom and put a couple outlets for the scat tube to fit on in the top lid. Put the stove inside it with the fuel bottle on the outside. Light it, shut the lid and put the scat hose on the outlets n shovem up in the cowling. Make sure you have enough holes around the bottom to get a good draft coming out the tubes and she will put out some serious heat!

I had done something like this in the past with a coleman multi fuel stove and dryer vent, but this one will all pack into the ammo can real neat. I got the idea from here

http://forums.outdoo...ngine-Preheater

THe bonus with the ammo can like this and the two outlets is.... yep, stick both in the cowling to get that engine warmed up, then move one into the cockpit to get it thawed out while still keeping the engine nice and warm with the other one. You would be surprized how much heat these lil guys will put out!

I will keep it updated here on the flyin, and give you a shout when I get into town and see how many guys we can drag out there. You need to tell Jack he needs to come along to make sure you do not get his covers put on the plane wrong smilielol.gif I am sure we can get someone to give him a ride out there if he wants to come out and play, hell, I will swing by your place and pick him up if I need to, I dont mind flying out of the way a little bit!

BC.gif

Alright! I am looking forward to a great flyin to kick off the new year. Man I just can' t believe the constant wind we are having though; it can be calm at the house but when I get to Wolf lake it is rocking and rolling. I sure hope we get a break for the flyin. It would be great if we could talk Jack into coming out with us. birthdayfriends.gif

I am loving the space in the A+; I packed 2 duffle bags of survival gear, a tent, two sleeping bags, sleeping pad, wing and tail covers, aluminum shovel, snowshoes, etc all in the rear area of my baggage compartment and still have the larger front area open. The good thing about the Avid was I could never really overload it with gear. I will have to watch that with the A+.

I am working on a cowling cover out of the aluminum bubble insulation covered with parachute fabric and a preheater similar to what you describe, so I hope to have them ready to go by then. I just bought a new jacket and over pants that are not as warm as I had hoped. Sure wish I knew of the Arctic Armor before I bought them. flush.gif

Posted

Does not sound like Jack is going to show up without a fight.. You may have to go over and give him the ole what for. I have loaded mine way way down and she handled it just fine. I LOVE the room you have in yours. I am thinking the fat avid and the longer catalina wings would be the ticket! Still kicking around the idea of putting wingtip extensions on mine. I just wish I would have taken some of the twist out when I rebuilt mine.

Getting closer to the flyin day and lodge is on full alert. I need to get a good idea on how many plan on showing up so they can be ready for us. Sounds like they will make a run to town to get some special goodies for us if they know how many is planning on being there!

Posted

I plan on being there unless the weather shuts me down. I was out to Alexander lake today and it was nice flying; I played around for about 2.7 hours and looks like I only burned about 7 or 8 gals. I was plenty cold though; I taped off the bottom of one radiator and still was having trouble keeping the temps up. When I would back off the throttle to 3500 - 3600 cruise for 10 minutes (loving that 2.8GPH) the temps would just keep dropping to 111 degrees I didn't want to dig the duct tape out of the duffle so had to do a high power climb every so often or land and take off to get the temps up to 135 - 145; still cool. It seemed a little faster today running pretty good at 3700 to 3800 rpm showing about 90 on the ASI but 80 to 85 on the GPS; I think under nuetral wind. I have the prop at 15 degrees now but might go back to 16 degrees; it seemed like it was still able to get almost the same T.O. RPM and a little faster in cruise, at least on wheels. Will have to see if it does the same on skis.

Some pretty scenes out toward the Alaska Range but my camera battery went dead as soon as I turned it on. Still have to get some showing the A+ actually out where it was meant to be and prove it is not a hangar queen.

I got a makeshift preheat fabbed up with two butane stoves and alumunum dryer duct. I couldn't find any 50 cal. ammo cans locally so used a heating duct register transition that sits over the stoves. I think it will work OK but not nearly as wind proof as the 50 cal can.

I am really thinking about building a set of longer wings. It would seem that if one used the longer /stiffer spar reinforcement and the wing extension kit plus built or modified the lift struts to center in the longer wing and with the correct wing warp for the longer wing you could get the improved performance plus have a slightly stronger wing. I would love to have a set of wings that were aroung 34' and about 1400 GW.....And I need a new project...snack.gif

Posted

Leni & Randy,

I'll not be going out to the lodge with you guys. Wife's dad passed away Christmas day. I'll be staying nearby for a while.

Thanks for asking though.

Jack

Posted

Jeez Jack, that's rough. You've mentioned health issues in the past, we can only hope for those reasons it was the Lord's gracious gift to him for calling on Christmas Day. My condolences and thoughts are with your family.

Posted

Jeez Jack, that's rough. You've mentioned health issues in the past, we can only hope for those reasons it was the Lord's gracious gift to him for calling on Christmas Day. My condolences and thoughts are with your family.

Thanks Doug, I know he's in a better place. Mom is so relieved that he's done with the indignity of leaving so slowly.

Jack

Posted

Jack,

Very sorry to hear about Carol's dad passing; you guys have been through the ringer recently. You are in our thoughts and prayers. As you said though, it is a blessing not to have to go through a long suffering. Hopefully the new year will be a healthy one for all of us and our families.

Randy

Posted

Leni,

Hope the chinook stops and we get some decent winter flying weather by Friday; I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Willow got 16" of snow while we were getting rain; hopefully Skwentna area is not quite as warm as we are and keeps things frozen up . Wolf lake currently has ponds of water on top of the ice. I'm hoping it will get cold later in the week and get everything frozen up again. How are conditions in Soldotna?

Posted

Jack,

Very sorry to hear about Carol's dad passing; you guys have been through the ringer recently. You are in our thoughts and prayers. As you said though, it is a blessing not to have to go through a long suffering. Hopefully the new year will be a healthy one for all of us and our families.

Randy

Thanks Randy.

Jack

Posted

OK guys, getting calls from the lodge, right now I know that Randy and I are committed to the trip (weather permitting) do we have any other takers? I need to get them something in the next day or two so Dan can ride out and get more supplies to make sure we have a great time up there. I was told that they got 20" of snow up there this weekend but it warmed up a little bit. Forecast is for it to cool off starting tomorrow so we should have some good snow for playing!

Posted

I'd be there, but for the little matters of time off work, distance, lack of mountain flying experience... :nobashing:

Posted

I'd be there, but for the little matters of time off work, distance, lack of mountain flying experience... :nobashing:

I'd be there except my planes not done,my business is slow and my tail wheel expertise has yet to be established.One or two more lessons and I'll be getting close to my tail wheel endorsement.As far as mountain flying goes well Ive yet to master a 4000 ft paved strip but someday I,ll be visiting you Alaska boys.When I do I,ll be there with bells on. Randy

Posted

Well those seem like a couple of tiny little details that you should have worked out by tomorrow, if you push it hard you can be here by Saturday :lol:

I'd be there except my planes not done,my business is slow and my tail wheel expertise has yet to be established.One or two more lessons and I'll be getting close to my tail wheel endorsement.As far as mountain flying goes well Ive yet to master a 4000 ft paved strip but someday I,ll be visiting you Alaska boys.When I do I,ll be there with bells on. Randy

Cmon up, we will be ready to show you around this lil neck of the woods! I was kinda surprised today, no wind and I was able to land on hard pack and have it shut down and back taxing on the ski strip in under 200'. All it takes is time in the bird and making every single landing you make a short field one.

Posted

Leni,

It looks like we just might luck out and have a decent weather window. Is Bob or anyone else from down you way planning to come? What time are you shooting for to be at the lodge on Friday?

Hey, it would be awsome to get a whole bunch more of the group up here some day!

Randy

Posted

Leni,

It looks like we just might luck out and have a decent weather window. Is Bob or anyone else from down you way planning to come? What time are you shooting for to be at the lodge on Friday?

Hey, it would be awsome to get a whole bunch more of the group up here some day!

Randy

I plan on taking of from slowdotna at first light (around 9:30 or 10) so I should be at the lodge 11:30 or 12 depending on the winds. Since I am not on floats this winter I wont be doing my straight shot across the inlet to the Su at 50' so flight time will be a bit longer to cross the forelands at 5,000 then run up the coast. I will be monitoring 122.7 till I get up around the Su then I will switch to 122.9

Everyone else has work issues so it looks like I will be making the run solo. Shoot me a PM with your phone number (my other phone is sleeping with the fishes so I dont have your number anymore :lol: ) and I will give you a shout when I am ready to take off.