Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alaska Fly in

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys, I think there are enough of us on here that we should get together for a 100 hamburger someplace. Any thoughts on a destination, or time frame?

:beerchug:

Posted

Hey guys, I think there are enough of us on here that we should get together for a 100 hamburger someplace. Any thoughts on a destination, or time frame?

At the Red Barn by the Ultralight area at Airventure 2010. I'll buy. :angeldevil:

Posted

At the Red Barn by the Ultralight area at Airventure 2010. I'll buy. :angeldevil:

I better start on changing my work schedule now. July 26 - August 1.. Should be able to fit that in... but holy hell is that one expensive hamburger!

Posted

but holy hell is that one expensive hamburger!

Naw. They're only about $3. :beerchug:

Posted

In my experience them that invite you to lunch are the ones

to pay the way.

Yes, Leni, AV8 should buy us a very expensive berger since

we have been invited down.

However, I'm game for a Moose Pass, Seward, Homer berger

trip. Its been pretty wind free the last week, man that wind

was a trip.

They had 100 mph winds at hill top, Anchorage, we had 65/70

here, blew my car shed to threads. Always tell my sis, in

San Diego there wind get to 55 its a hurricane, ours get to 100, doesn't even make the news.

Posted

Seldovia. Not sure about their burger quality though. Girdwood (nice burger quality). Summit Lake (burger availability summer only). Homer. Take your pick, most choices are good.

Posted

Trail Lake Lodge in Moose Pass makes a mean burger! If we get some snow, Skwentna makes a good burger to.

I will call trail lakes and see if they are open all week now, or just on the weekends.

Posted

Leni- you got to make it to OSH someday, 10,000 planes camping out, it's a hell of a week! We befriended one of the back gate guards long ago, now she stores all our camping crap, coolers and chairs at her house from year-to-year, has all our liqueur and beer ready when we fly in, leaves us her van to use, brings bagels and donuts every morning etc. Makes flying in easy as hell, it's almost like we know what were doing. Lots and lots of great stuff to see, buy and drool on too but you will not see it all in 3-4 days, it's just too damn big. The Seaplane Pilots Assoc Corn Roast (and beer blast) is good fun too. Snaps is always there and happy to talk about his 670 Avid. Told me he's working on a new high HP project for his Avid this year, you can bet 2-stroke. Hang onto your short hairs, because the guy is certifiable! Rumor has it he once strapped a set of oxy cylinders on his plane to get out of a pond after losing a float and I believe it!

:blink:

Posted

I was at OSH with my Dad and uncle in 81, seem like a

life time ago, both gone now, for you young brats I guess it was. There were more people there than I had ever seen before. It was 95-98 degrees and we almost died, but of course loved it. Dad and Uncle were both home builders. I owned a 150 Citrab

I regret getting back into flying so late, didn't fly

for 22 years, seem I was to busy working, Overseas.

Really intend to make it again and will be great to know

someone there out of the many faces.

That was the year Quantis airlines got to fly display,

but the F jets had to go to Syria and blow them up.

Posted

I spent a few days up past skwentna at Fish Creek Lakes.. Damn nice lodge at Fish Creek Lodge Winter rates are rooms or cabins 75 night per person including meals. As the days are kinda short right now, long flights mean over night trips for me. Anyone up for invading a lodge for a day or two? I was up last week and there was 29" of new snow with more on the way, so make sure you have your skis on.

:BC:

Posted

I'm up for the Fish Creek Lodge once I'm back in the air. Pretty close for me but I wouldn't mind making it an over night run.

Randy

Posted

Just got an email from the lodge this AM... wondering if I was gonna drag my ass back up there... and they want me to bring my Karaoke system with me when I come up :lmao: must be bored up there with no traffic coming through :lol: Talked to a buddy that has a cabin just down the lake from the lodge and he is heading up there today or tomorrow for a week. I will find out Tuesday if I can get out of this damn boot, then will make plans to head up there! We (me and the guy with the cabin) have a spotting mission to fly when we get up there so it will be a bunch of buzzing around if anyone wants to tear up some sky!

Will post up Tuesday night after the Dr. to let you guys know the plan.

Posted

Sounds good. Let me know how long you will be out there if you go. I will try to get out there on Saturday if you are still there. May be able to make it on Friday. Also, what frequency you will be using.

Randy

Posted

Hey, I made it as far as California, can't you meet me half way?? :beerchug:

Posted

Hey, I made it as far as California, can't you meet me half way?? :beerchug:

uhhh you us to meet u in canukistan :dunno: you been eating paint chips again :lol:

Making the flight down there for oshkosh is now very high on my new found single status priority list! This year wil have to come commercial if I can swap out work weeks, but next year, I plan on making the flight myself and hopefully a few buddies. I am thinking it would be a total kick in the ass to take a leisure cruise down there!

Posted

Keep me in the loop, Leni. Maybe, [brooklin accent=on]and I'm just talkin' here [/brooklin], I can arrange for you to fly in with someone...

Where would you 'commercial' to? Do you have accommodations planned? I may be able to help you there, too.

Posted

Keep me in the loop, Leni. Maybe, [brooklin accent=on]and I'm just talkin' here [/brooklin], I can arrange for you to fly in with someone...

Where would you 'commercial' to? Do you have accommodations planned? I may be able to help you there, too.

I have not gottenthat far yet... it is way too far out for me to plan yet :lol: I am more of a last minute, pack a bag, buy a ticket and hope for the best kinda guy :lol:

Posted

I have not gottenthat far yet... it is way too far out for me to plan yet :lol: I am more of a last minute, pack a bag, buy a ticket and hope for the best kinda guy :lol:

If you fly down in two years I wanna go!!!!

Posted (edited)

If you fly, leave the 'phibs on and you can land at Airdale... Brett is on a little lake.

You could ship your camping equipment to me and we'll bring it over to the campground. You can stay with our EAA Chapter group, just across from the Ultralight Area. You'll just have to rough it a little for the trip itself.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

If you commercial in, see how bad the $$'s are to fly to CWA (Central Wisconsin Airport). It is not far from me. I can pick you there and get you to OSH. This might be easier and cheaper than flying into GRB, MKE or APL. Definately better than trying to fly into OSH commercial (if you even could).

Posted

I can tell you CWA and APL are not economical options from the east. You can try Fond du Lac but I'm guessing that won't be an option either unless you're hopping in on a small regional jet. Last year the one-way from upstate NY to Madison, WI was c-h-e-a-p, only ~$70, about the same as to MKE or GRB. Gotta change planes in Detroit anyway, and it ends up same time but easier to connect into rural and much smaller Madison. All are about the same distance road wise to OSH w/ car rentals but word to wise... if flying commercial into any of these without a ride to OSH, reserve your rental NOW or you will be SOL. There are daily shuttles to OSH from MKE, GRB, APL and FDL if necessary, but not from MSN. Do NOT attempt to play it by ear, so to speak, unless you like to be frustrated. There is a serious s#!t load of people at OSH every year and the experienced ones have all the available resources reserved months in advance. If you're gonna go, 1st timers are advised to check the Planning info at http://www.airventure.org/. The 2010 NOTAM is not posted yet but the VFR Arrival procedures when you fly your own plane in can be found at http://www.airventur...s_aircraft.html.

Posted

I can tell you CWA and APL are not economical options from the east. You can try Fond du Lac but I'm guessing that won't be an option either unless you're hopping in on a small regional jet. Last year the one-way from upstate NY to Madison, WI was c-h-e-a-p, only ~$70, about the same as to MKE or GRB. Gotta change planes in Detroit anyway, and it ends up same time but easier to connect into rural and much smaller Madison. All are about the same distance road wise to OSH w/ car rentals but word to wise... if flying commercial into any of these without a ride to OSH, reserve your rental NOW or you will be SOL. There are daily shuttles to OSH from MKE, GRB, APL and FDL if necessary, but not from MSN. Do NOT attempt to play it by ear, so to speak, unless you like to be frustrated. There is a serious s#!t load of people at OSH every year and the experienced ones have all the available resources reserved months in advance. If you're gonna go, 1st timers are advised to check the Planning info at http://www.airventure.org/. The 2010 NOTAM is not posted yet but the VFR Arrival procedures when you fly your own plane in can be found at http://www.airventur...s_aircraft.html.

Thanks Doug!

It seems that frustration is a major part of my everyday life, so what the hell, why would I plan a vacation to be fun and without speed bumps :lmao:

Joey, when we start firming up plans to head down that way we will for sure keep you in the loop. Would be kick ass to swing by and meet you some place and do a big arrival. I think if i can pull it off there would 3 possibly 4 of us for sure. We may be able to round up a couple of the Alaskan fat bastard builders to head down that way also :dunno:

Posted

It seems that frustration is a major part of my everyday life, so what the hell, why would I plan a vacation to be fun and without speed bumps :lmao:

Well, believe me when I say I'm commiserating with your pain today. Cracked a molar Sat. night somehow and been on a steady course of (4) ibuprofen + (4) shots every (4) hours since. Figures that banks aren't the only businesses closed for MLK day... grrr

Posted

Well, believe me when I say I'm commiserating with your pain today. Cracked a molar Sat. night somehow and been on a steady course of (4) ibuprofen + (4) shots every (4) hours since. Figures that banks aren't the only businesses closed for MLK day... grrr

old trick... crush one of the ibuprofen and put the powder on the tooth and gum.. Then back it with your shots.. maybe a few more per hour are in order to adequately dull the pain :lol:

Posted

Yeah I tried that trick but it didn't work, that's when I started gargling with Jim Beam. You're gonna laugh but in my agony I went online and looked up toothache remedies. There are definitely some doozies but, since tooth pain will bring the biggest, baddest mofo straight to his knees sobbing for a hammer to knock his tooth out, I tried a few. A paste of finely ground cloves and veggie oil packed around the tooth gave relief but damn near made me toss my bourbon. Peanut butter packed between cheek and gum/tooth worked too, something about the oils I guess. Even better was accupressure or reflexology or whatever it's called... just pinch and hold the web between thumb and index finger, thumb on top and positioned just at and toward the base of the index finger joint. Blocks the bad pain energy up one of the main body meridians it said, whatever, it really worked for me and repeatedly too. Best has been my 4x4x4 regime with periodic warm salt water/baking soda/hydrogen peroxide swishing/gargle and accupressure as needed in between. Gotta say I'm not feeling much pain at the moment and after a snort or two of laughing gas for conscious sedation at the 8:00am dental appt tomorrow I hope all I end up with is a bad hangover. They can keep the tooth.