Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Watch those flaperons

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Well I guess there's those who have and those that will. While working on my plane this afternoon I walked into the end of my flaperon. Pretty much laid me out. Hardest I've ever smashed a body part into a parked plane. I'll be making me some foam pieces next time I am out. Go ahead and laugh I deserve it!

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Nothing bleeds like a stab in the forehead.  Been there.  One phrase for you:  Pool Noodles.  They work great.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

Nothing bleeds like a stab in the forehead.  Been there.  One phrase for you:  Pool Noodles.  They work great.

Pool Noodles:  Do you put them on the flaperons, or around your head?  Sorry Joey, I know it hurts.   Want to see the scar where the Cessna diamond almost missed my head?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Lol I did that exact same thing last year, Like two days before I had to go to Florida, everybody at Disney was looking at me like I was a trouble maker, Black eye and all, terribly embarrassing,

Posted

I prefer the foam insulation for water pipes - it is already slit, just slide it on.

Mark

Posted (edited)

I prefer the foam insulation for water pipes - it is already slit, just slide it on.

Mark

Yes, I agree that they are easier - But they don't come in nice colors - only dark gray/black - harder to find when they blow off at about the end of the runway.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Well I guess there's those who have and those that will. While working on my plane this afternoon I walked into the end of my flaperon. Pretty much laid me out. Hardest I've ever smashed a body part into a parked plane. I'll be making me some foam pieces next time I am out. Go ahead and laugh I deserve it!

No laughing from me, that stuff hurts!

Posted

Ouch!!

Posted

I'm not laughing either. I once saw a guy walk into a Cessna tie down ring, it dropped him like a sack of potatoes. He bled like a stuck pig. Head injuries are terrible for that. 

Posted

Thanks for the "heads"up

sorry couldn't resist that one.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's the caps we all wear.  Nice that they block the sun, but they give us a blind spot as well.  Don't remember needing a bandaid, but I know I've walked into wings lots of times.  And those drooped tips on the Kitfox are just waiting for the opportunity to whack you.  You crouch down, thinking you're low enough, and they get you again.  The real important question though is : Joey, did you hurt the plane? ;-)   JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

I feel for ya Joey, glad I learned about this the easy way. Couple few years ago I dropped my KF4-1200 off for a conditional inspection and, when I picked it up, the A&P had several stitches right across the bridge of his nose. OUCH! I felt real bad and you can bet I'm extra careful when moving around or under flaperons now.   

Posted (edited)

I have heard that the pointy tips on the Magnum wings are really bad eye-pokers.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thousands of hours of combat support in big birds, and you get wounded by a civilian flaperon! There is no justice, Joey!

1 person likes this

Posted

There are only 2 kind of Avid Flyer pilots, those who have already hurt their head against the flaperons and those who will hurt their head against the flaperon.

(got a nice mark on my forehead this summer...)

1 person likes this

Posted

I feel your pain Joey.  It didn't take me long to find the bleeding edge of the flaperons.  I love the noodle idea.