Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hangar visitor today

6 posts in this topic

Posted

My office is in the back of my hangar.  Walked out of the office this morning to go get more coffe, and stretched out right in front of the door was a nice big snake.  Scared the bejeezus out of me.  After I calmed down enough I verified it was the black snake I'd seen outside a few times, so nothing to worry about.  I killed a pygmy rattlesnake a month or so ago in the yard, so that wasn't my first thought.  Got the broom and swept him out the hangar door, cleaned up the mess on the floor (pretty sure it was spilled coffee).

Fortunately it was me, not my wife.  If it had been my wife, I'd either be talking to the undertaker or a realtor :rolleyes:.  Guess I better get some more weatherstripping on the hangar door.

Mark

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

When I moved here from Alaska in 2004, this place was overrun by chipmunks - they would eat everything and stuffed every aircleaner, tailpipe and hole with nuts and leaves.  Going out to get in my truck one day I saw a 3 foot blacksnake (actually an Indigo snake) with a chipmunk half in its mouth - I gave him some space and my blessings.   This summer I saw him laying in my flower bed - He is now about 6 feet long - Guess he don't need my blessings, as there have not been any chipmunks around my house for the past few years.    Nothing exciting here like rattlers, pythons, or gators, fire ants, killer bees or sinkholes, most lightning in the world and hurricanes -  although grand-niece got bit by a copperhead at a lake this summer, and the armadillos are starting to get up here !  Must be Global Warming!  LOL!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Those black snakes are as good as any barn cat at keeping the rodents away.

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted

Those black snakes are as good as any barn cat at keeping the rodents away.

Yes, but now it is so big that I worry about the barn cat!   EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Those black snakes are something else!  I've seen them ascend the outside walls of buildings as though horizontal.  In my several year stint in NC recently, the farm house I occupied had no cats to speak of roaming around; nor were there any signs of mice or chipmunks.  The occasional snake skin in the crawlspace and one I found in a room (yikes) told the tale so to speak. 

Posted (edited)

Those black snakes are something else!  I've seen them ascend the outside walls of buildings as though horizontal.  In my several year stint in NC recently, the farm house I occupied had no cats to speak of roaming around; nor were there any signs of mice or chipmunks.  The occasional snake skin in the crawlspace and one I found in a room (yikes) told the tale so to speak. 

I have no idea how large an Indigo snake can get, but I saw a photo my neighbor took of "my" 6-foot snake with at least 4 feet of its body going straight up her glass patio doors.   Again, I am not a snake expert, but growing up in Louisiana and Swamp-East Missouri Bootheel, I have seen huge black snakes that were as long or longer than the width of 8-foot wooden bridges over our ditches there, and probably about 12" across at the belly.   Note:  The small drainage "ditches" we had in the flatlands would have been probably called "creeks" up here in the hill country of the Ozark Dome of Missouri - but I have never seen snakes as big up here as there are in the South.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO