Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Light Sport Rules

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I thought I'd prepare this just to help explain the LSA rules to someone. I edited it to reflect what was posted (Thanks, Guys!)

Maybe its right now. There seems to be one reason for getting an Exp-LSA Type certificate. The owner can get training to inspect it.

NickLight_Sport_Rules.thumb.jpg.195c6ef2e15f

Edited by nlappos

Posted (edited)

Looks Good - except what we commonly call an "Annual" for Experimentals is a "Condition Inspection" according to FAA, and for Normal Aircraft you need an A&P for repairs and an IA for Annual Inspections.  I don't think anyone would be confused by the misnomers.  I believe the "Light Sport Certificate" should read "Repairman Certificate", and you can get that no matter what size plane you have built as an E-AB.

Of course, everyone needs BFRs - It's more fun to edit than to write the original.  :BC: EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

A few corrections:

A light sport certificate does NOT allow you to do an annual condition inspection on a light sport eligible experimental.

You can get a light sport repairman's certificate for an E-LSA certificated plane that you own after taking the 16 hour class.

If you take the 120 hour class, you can become, in effect, an A&P-IA for any E-LSA or S-LSA.  I have gotten conflicting answers weather this covers EAB Light Sport eligible aircraft.

If you don't have either of these licenses you must have an A&P sign off the annual.  You can do all of the work, but an A&P must sign it off.

If you built the airplane, you can get the repairman's certificate weather the plane qualifies as light sport or not.

Posted

You can register EAB even though it meets the Light Sport Criteria.  If you are the builder, that is the only way you can do your annual condition inspection (unless it is registered as ELSA& you have the course, vice EAB).

Posted

Not sure why anyone would want to Register a Homebuilt as a LSA vs EAB.

Posted (edited)

You Cant! - The factory-built S-LSA is not an EAB, but somehow some have managed to get it registered as an E-LSA?

However, some EAB machines meet Sport Pilot (LSA) rules, and some don't - just look at the flying motorhome that Dean designed, and there are some 4 seat EAB planes.  And I guess you could count Howard Hughes' Giant Flying Boat as EAB if he built it!   An EAB 747 clone would not be LSA compliant, but a copy of a 2-seat Avid probably would.   EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

There is a Light Sport Experimental class that has all the advantages of EAB but also allows the owner to get 16 hours of training and sign off his annual (condition) inspection. Few amateurs bother to certificate their LSA/experimental as LSA exp

Posted (edited)

The names are confusing, so it's important to keep them straight.

It is called E-LSA.   This class came about as a vehicle to legalize all of the "fat" ultralights and the window for it closed on January 31, 2007.  This is how some "normal" planes got this designation.  My yellow Kitfox was one of them. 

Today, in order to get the E-LSA designation it must be a plane, built from a certified kit, to the EXACT spec as a factory produced S-LSA airplane.  There are only a few of these available.  RV12 is one.  I don't believe Kitfox even offers an E-LSA kit. 

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

A bird registered as ELSA vice EAB has transferrable intrinsic "value" as the new owner (other than the builder) can also sign off his/her annual inspections by taking the 16 hour course.  Each new subsequent owner of that bird can the do same thing.  EAB, only the builder or an A&P can sign off the annual condition inspection.

Edited by LSaupe
2 people like this