Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

CubCrafter at Reno Air Races

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Just a beautiful plane.  Like all things beautiful, too expensive!

DSC_0137_small.jpg

Posted

You staying until Saturday? We will be there at 9am Sat morn for the day.

Posted

My wife and I are here all week - until the Gold Unlimited race is over.  I'll PM you my cell.

Mark

Posted

Saw the video this morning of the runway crash - That guy was lucky he didn't get his head taken off!   EDMO

Posted

I missed that one, a friend had showed up and we were walking to the pits when it happened.  While I like the classes that start on the runway, they are more likely to have that kind of accident than the ones that form up in the air.

Mark

Posted

I missed that one, a friend had showed up and we were walking to the pits when it happened.  While I like the classes that start on the runway, they are more likely to have that kind of accident than the ones that form up in the air.

Mark

It was on my Yahoo site - video from static plane taken from IP looking back at pilot when the other hit it.   EDMO

Posted (edited)

Here is a link to the crash.  Fortunate that the plane in back was at least a bit off to the side.  JImChuk  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfK1tea3zo

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Yeah, I've met and talked with Thom that the accident happened to. He is a genuine nice guy. He's had terrible luck at and going to Reno the past two years. Last year his highly modified P-51 racer Precious Metal caught fire in Florida on his first fuel stop heading to Reno. Luckily it was on the ground but it did a lot of damage before he was waved to cut the engine. It was under the wing from a hydraulic pin hole in the gear. The atomized mist caught fire and he just couldn't see it. Someone on the ground happened to notice. By the time they got it out it did structural damage to the spar and a lot to the wing itself besides. He's used up a couple lives. The year before he lost all power during a race and had to dead stick the same aircraft. Raced another race later and lost a gear door. Just rotten luck. Before you blame maintenance: his stuff is top notch and he doesn't skimp either.

1 person likes this

Posted

Precious Metal had a booth there, selling merchandise and raising money to get it back in the air.  Until Voodoo gets some real competition, the unlimited class is kind of boring.  The best racing of the week was the T-6 Gold race.  The winning pass was made between the last pylon on the turn and the finish line.  .015 seconds between 1st and 2nd place.

DSC_0881.JPG

1 person likes this